Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

DEA and any salt using experts, need help on verifying aqua

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    DEA or any experts out there, i bought a packet of aquarium salt from a lfs. Are aquarium salt in rock like shapes of approximately 1cm or so?

Recently, notice that my fish is rubbing its body against the gravel base..not too common sight but only once in a long while. The fish is eating well and swimming actively. Just wondering if it is suffering from ick as i see no white spots on the body of the fish? Water conditions are okay.

How often do you guys do water changes? Me doing 20-30% weekly. Thanks for any help given.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    read this thread

hi there, definitely signs of white spots or ick befalling ur tank.... hopefully the above thread will help u.
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

Anonymous Guest/Not Logged In
    My fishes does that also. If it isn't ich, other parasites may cause this rubbing. My problem is with this argulus fish louse and planaria in my tank, which may be the cause, but I am not sure and there could be other parasites. I am using salt and methylene blue. also, I will usually soak filter sponge with a strong salt solution for ~30 mins. and full water change, but they will be back. It seems the key is to keep the water clean.

found a link with some parasites info.

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/disease/diseasehome.htm

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think if you fish is not continually doing that, wait a while and see. My SAE did that many months back. Only rub a few times than stopped. I was worried but when I waited... nothing else happened. Still very healthy now.

Keep the water in tip top condition, minimise stress... wait and see.

Adding medicine... making drastic changes may cause stress instead.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    peter,have u tried looking for the fine type of salt?, they are more soluble in water,so far i have never touched those coarse stuff they use in the LFS- the pack also comes wif a small spoon to measure amount.
    How much salt u use also depends on the fish u keep.
    if the fish seldom rub themselves then its ok, ick should be visible by the naked eye(flukes won't as they go into the blood stream).
    dun make a blind guess,describe more on your tank dimensions-filter system-fish stock-water parameters e.g ph,ammonia,nitrates-how much salt u use.if u need help, others will then be able to pinpoint the illness.

if u do intend to medicate-try to go for brands like sera,intrepet etc.(brands wif proper R&D),stay away from the super brand(ocean free)too many ppl i know & myself get more deaths from that brand than not using any at all.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    peter,this a long one-just have a read and chk for the signs. It could just be nothin at all and fish just having a scratch but if its repeated continously...then got to pinpoint the actual illness..

If fish are kept in a healthy,stress free environment and are fed properly,they will,as a rule,not succumb to disease.Therefore,at the first sign of trouble,chk that nothing has changed in the tank.sudden fluntuations in temp,pH,toxic waste and other parametrs.Consequently, mearly correcting the imbalance will solve the problem.

white spot or Ich: This disease is caused by (Ichthyophthirius multifiliis),a protozoan(single celled organism)which causes tiny white spots on the body and fins of the fish.These cause irratation,resulting in repeated scratching against the gravel,rock or other decorations which in turn can lead to injury and secondary problems.

Slime Disease: There are 3 main protozoans(icthyobodo,trichodina,chilodonella)which can produce similiar symptons consisting of excessive mucus production(slimy skin),bluish-white coloration,awkward swimming movements,scratching,etc.

Gill Fluke Infection: Caused by parasitic worms(Dactylogyrus spp, this disease results in inflamed gills which produce excessive mucus,acce;erated breathing and scratching of the gill covers.

Skin Fluke Infection: Gyrodactylus spp worms(related to the above)produce inflamed patches on the skin accompanied by excessive mucus,some loss of body colour and scratching against objects.

Anchor Worm: Despite its name-they are actually crustaceans(Lernaea spp).They cause nervous,jumping,swimming movements,scratching and some loss of colour.The slim whitish parasites are clearly visible. Recently had these on my clowns in marine....loss the infected fish but didn't spread to others as i started soaking food in freshly squeezed garlic juice-just prevention.

velvet Disease: Regarded as dinoflagellate algae in some books.(Piscinoodinium species)cause a fine dusting of tiny whitish or rust coloured spots on the body and fins of affected fish,which can show gasping and scratching behaviour,as well as inflamed tissues.

Other bacterial Infections: Visible as ulcers,blood streaks(very common in our local hatchet fishes),loss of scales,sluggish behaviour,loss of colour or swollen body with 'pine cone' appearance(dropsy),such infections are only treatable(and not guaranteed success) with antibiotics which,in many countries are only available on prescription.
    Last edited by vinz; 20th Sep 2006 at 15:49.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i use the fine salt
    don't diagnose ich until you actually see the white spots
    our fish suffer more from our hypochondria than actual disease imo