Images
    Country
    England

Live Plants?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi guys. just bought another gecko, a bibrons gecko. they enjoy quite a hot temperature and quite a dry tank, however these guys are arboreal and was wondering of any non-aquatic plants that i might want to look at to suit my gecko. please realise that i am not in SG i am in the UK, so hopefully what you suggest will be available over here, too!
    Thanks
    James
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Pothos is alway s good bet.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Non-aquatic plants..
    Hmm..
    I don't know what you have or don't have there in England cause I don't live there.
    Anywhere, here are just some of my suggestions;

Dracena sanderiana
    Ophiopogon japonica
    Acorus calamus

SuD

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    hi guys, i can order any of these, any suitable?
    http://www.livefoods.co.uk/default.php?cPath=41

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One thing I learnt is that airplants require strong lighting and very preferably, wind, i.e. air movement. But these air movement will mean that the gecko might get cooled down... And airplants really do a lot better with some humidity in the tank... I'm trying a dry terrarium with air plants and a bromeliad ( Cryptanthus sp.). The airplants are not doing as good as those in humid tanks or outside along my corridor.

But you can try... I would suggest you try the ionanthas, which benetay told me are one of the easier species of airplants...

An example of an ionantha species:

Alternatively, you can try the cryptanthus, which will not mind the dry conditions too... And seem to not mind drier conditions than airplants... An example of the cryptantus species:
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Strange as it sounds, i'm using soyabeans in my terrarium. They work pretty well in dry environments once they get large.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    thanks for the suggestions guys. i have recently been researching further into the care of my gecko (which turns out not to be the gecko species that i bought it as) and they prefer hot rainforests, so the hunidity has to be pushing 65% all day, so i think i will try the ones you are using in your tank, if i can get them.
    James

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For airplants, do note that you had to be careful not to water them directly!

With a humidity of at least 65%, airplants are not a problem. You can also try bromeliads and some ferns and mosses as well. But these plants will need to be misted regularly.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...