Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Is it true that D200's LCD tend to show a underexposed picture? Saw a friend's D200 having that problem and he said when LCD shows underexposed, it means good exposure, else, it is overexposed.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    To save power perhaps, but let me test. I suspect that is dependant on ambient light as well. Sorry man, palms still sweaty!

Hmmm, since I can't show you what's on my LCD, I can say after a quick test the LCD's are underexposing a little. It's similar to some compacts i've used before like Sony T1 and Nikon Coolpix though.
    One shot with the exposure at normal and another at -0.7.
    The normal one looks bright in the LCD-comes out brighter on my comp. screen. The other one looks visibly darker in the LCD and looks a tad brighter on my computer.
    This I think is also because I'm in a dim room with tungsten lighting.

I feel like a nutter going round the hotel room shooting the bathroom etc. Good night and sweet dreams!!!
    Last edited by StanChung; 1st Mar 2007 at 11:58.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Congrats on your new purchases!

Yeah, the RRS ballhead was a long overdue piece. I had a Markins M10 before that and wanted something slightly better, so I got rid of it and picked up the RRS. The upgrade wasn't bad at all and only costed an extra $150. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't hesitate. Here's the combo with a decent size lens on it.

The Quantum Turbos are really heavy. They work really well though, but just gotta make sure that you don't keep on rattling too many continuous shots off since you'll end up burning the flashes out that way. If I was to take another look, I would look at their newer and much smaller unit. They don't last as long, but at 400 flashes, that's more than sufficient ( the Quantums above will fire off 1200+ flashes).

Oh hey, Stan, you might want to look at this protector.
    http://www.daproducts.com/products.htm

It doesn't scratch like the OEM Nikon ones and is cheaper (shipping is only $2 anywhere in the world).

Here it is on my cams.

In regards to Zeiss lenses, I think they're very specialized and most people don't need them. There's something like a 5% increase in optical quality vs. Nikon. Unless you need that extra 5%, I wouldn't bother.

That new 1DMkIII looks very interesting. I hope that Nikon has something in the works. I would prefer something with better noise performance.

Lastly, when you get the chance, take a look at the SU-800 unit. It's Nikon's equivalent of the ST-E2.
    Last edited by Ibn; 1st Mar 2007 at 05:34.
    Eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Stan,

Congratulations on your new toy. At least there is another Nikon user here now. Good for beginners like me.
    Cheers,
    Chee Wei

From Sarawak: C.Pallidinervia, C.Bullosa, C.Keei, C. Yujii, Barcalaya sp.From Peninsula Malaysia: C.nurii, C.cordata, C.afinnis, C.minima, C.purpurea, C.eliptica
    Bettas: b. ideii, b. macrostoma, b. pallifina, b. ocellata, b. channoides

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Nice, Nice stuff Eric! The RRS looks super-ultimate. I'm considering getting it. [mail order? hard to get in this region]

Thanks Chee Wei, me newbie in digital SLR!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I believe that RRS will ship overseas also. You might want to inquire via their website at www.reallyrightstuff.com. They're
    located in the same state as I am (which kind of sucks since I have to pay taxes on their gear).
    Eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Great gear they make. Heard there's a back order for the RRS ballhead! SU800 is what I need instead of trying to use my SC24...

Read a bit about gitzo and manfrotto. May consider either if mail order is a hassle.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I think that they're made in limited numbers and are manufactured in batches which would explain the backorder status.

I need to pick up a SU-800 unit myself. The cords work really well, but I'd rather go w/out one (no commander mode on one cam).

Gitzo makes some great tripods. Take a look at the 1325 for a light weight and sturdy setup.
    Eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    The cord keep making my tripod tilt over because it's not long enough! I'm going to get the SU-800. Thanks for pointing it out. It's not available yet in the shop i went.
    I'll try to pretend it's x'mas already and look at some gitzo legs.
    Last edited by StanChung; 3rd Mar 2007 at 16:13.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    now you know why so many of us are geared with Canon ST-E2
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    The cord keep making my tripod tilt over because it's not long enough! I'm going to get the SU-800. Thanks for pointing it out. It's not available yet in the shop i went.
    I'll try to pretend it's x'mas already and look at some gitzo legs.
    You've got the D200? The built-in flash of the D200 can be used as a commander for the remote flashes. You may not need the SU-800.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Haha Choy. When I was buying my first SLR, Canon was famous for other things than cameras. lol. They've come a long way!

BC, Eric, does the SU800 work by setting off a flash to trigger the other remote flashes or is it IR? Uh-need to do some more reading. Read at APF about D200 being able to do this as commander.
    Some handy tips like taping a card over the built in flash to prevent it from exposing the front pane. IMHO shouldn't have to though.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what do you mean? Canon has always been famous for their camera, along with Nikon. In fact they started as a camera company even before the SLR existed. In fact the earliest Canon used Nikkor lenses.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Haha, Choy, I meant it was better at other things than cameras. At that time even Yashica was more popular judging from the proportion of users at my art college then.

Just to add, it was before Canon's USM technology and it's slew of white barrel teles came out.
    Last edited by benny; 4th Mar 2007 at 22:29.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    erm… USM wasn't very long ago, 10-15 years? It think that was introduced in the 90s as I have a 1990 80-200mm/2.8L without USM, and yes the barrel is black haha.

My first camera was a Yashica T3* compact with a Zeiss 35mm T* lens. No $$ for SLR then. But that little lens convinced me how much difference a lens can make.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Choy,

T3? Could that be a T5? Contax was the one with the T3 isn't it?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    Haha Choy. When I was buying my first SLR, Canon was famous for other things than cameras. lol. They've come a long way!

BC, Eric, does the SU800 work by setting off a flash to trigger the other remote flashes or is it IR? Uh-need to do some more reading. Read at APF about D200 being able to do this as commander.
    Some handy tips like taping a card over the built in flash to prevent it from exposing the front pane. IMHO shouldn't have to though.
    SU800 trigger by IR.

When the built-in flash is used as the commander, it will emit flash at lower intensity. It will be captured if the reflection of built-in flash is in the frame. With adjustment to the shooting angle, it is possible to avoid capturing the built-in flash.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yes Choy, that's about that time. I was in art college 90-92. Picked up my first SLR in 91. Canon in my eyes was like on par with Pentax, and Minolta. Olympus was slightly better. I always had the impression of Canon of having new technology that dumped old technology. Good for progress and economics but not good for loyalty IMHO. Especially their new lenses could not be used with their old cameras.

Anyway, they got game now and stuck with the world beating USM's.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pentax, Minolta and Olympus makes great cameras. However, what ensures survival is not just great product but good enough product, great marketing and helluva business management.

Unfortunately that's harsh reality of business.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    BCLee, Ah- so the SU800 is saves the hassle of glass reflection. I'm already thinking how to shoot something like this.

Copyright belong to ADA

The tank is 5ft wide [like mine].
    I was told in APF that i need like 4-5 flashguns. I noticed that my Depth of field is like nothing even at f8.
    Noticed that Amano's pictures are usually set at f22 or f32. That's crazy.

I think I would need separate lighting for the bg. 2 flash units.
    and two for the tank. I would also need some space to light the bg.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast