Country
    United Kingdom

Hello.....

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,

I’m sorry this is a bit long winded…. My name is Stu and I came here because I had a problem in my main tank, I found this place looking for advice on a Google search. Time fades the memory and I wasn’t sure and needed some extra advice… I am a firm believer in ask a second opinion never hurts….

When I was younger ( early teens ) I kept trop's and latterly successfully marines back in the late 70's and early 80's in the days when there was no such thing as a protein skimmer, UV filters, even power filters where new. In those days. It was all live beds and under gravel filtration. I had 6 4ft several 2 ft tanks and showed fish on the benches. I worked for a large fish house / Aquaria here in the NW Uk and soon learned how we are not fish keepers but more so water keepers and fish watchers... we keep the water and the fish keep themselves.

I moved away from fish keeping altogether for over 25 years and instead i started keeping / rescuing and breeding reptiles and it wasn’t till recently when I met an old friend who is still a fish judge here in the Uk that I started to get back into keeping trop’s once again. I soon had the sprawling numbers of small tanks and getting into the reg routine of water keeping.

I wanted to make more of my trop’s this time including a show tank for my living room. And purchased a 48x18x18 which was set up and planted out once the water and plants had settled I moved in some of my community fish and all was happy…. My fish started to breed and of course in a community tank didn’t last. So the hunt was on for a second tank who’s purpose would be both breeder and quarantine also to reduce the number of smaller tanks I was using for the more prolific breeding pairs. I spent out and bought my second smaller tank 48x 18 x 15 which I split to act as quarantine and breeding pens . Currently I have Krib’s, Endlers, lipstick barbs and till the other day Cories all breeding.

Unfortunately this is the point as my second tank was in the process of being set up I found myself in trouble. I did a partial water change on the main tank using the mature water to start the lower tanks. I was given 3 Clown loaches, not a mark on them they had good colour and where active. Against my better judgement and as I was changing stuff all about I decided to put them straight into the main tank and soon had a problem...

I had a good idea as to what the culprit was but because I don’t often get hit with problems diagnosis I’m still rusty on, I was second guessing myself and just wasn’t sure… so I came looking for a bit of extra help and advice and found this forum…

Now if youve reached this end you can breath easy im done....

The Piranha... PS the name comes from the fact that i used to tend the full grown male red bellied piranha amoungst others kept in the fish house as a kid!
    Last edited by ThePiranha; 28th Feb 2007 at 20:59.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Stu,

Welcome to AQ!! We are a Singapore based aquatic resource but we do have our fair share of members from the far end of the pond.

Looks like you have quite an extensive history with fish keeping and I think you will find recent technological advancement have made fish keeping a lot less of a hassle than it was before.

In any case, do join in our discussions, whether or not the problem is successfully identified. I'm sure we can benefit from your experience.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Stu,
    Welcome to AQ, sorry about that fiasco, probably woke up on the wrong side of bed. Anyway, warm wishes. I'm a catfish lover and I love my clownies! Enjoy your stay, be safe and god bless.

Cherio..
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Thannks for the welcome guys and not a problem Michael