Images
    Country
    Singapore

Red Tiger Lotus bloom

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I decided to let my tiger lotus sprout floating leaves after giving up the battle to control the size of their submersed leaves. Interestingly floating leaves create less shade because you can push them to one side and stack them on each other, or even pull them out of the tank (dangling)!

Now a flower bud has emerged and has got out of the water. A second one is already sprouting. I'd like to ask:
    • does it keep flowering without getting tired or needing rest?
    • how do I convert it back to submersed form again, trim all the leaves?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    To keep mine submersed, I trim off any leaves that exceed 3/5 of my tank height. I find it more effective if I trim a few leaves at a time. It reduces shading and the next few leaves stay short. I guess it forces the plant to put out more leaves in a hurry too, and not expend energy pushing leaves towards the surface.

I suggest you trim off majority of your emerse leaves. Leave a few for photosynthesis. The new leaves should pretty much stay short. If not, once the new leaves open up and are able to contribute to photosynthesis, trim off the remaining emersed leaves.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanx vinz, I will enjoy the blooms for a little while then try to get it submersed again. BTW the flower bud cracked open a little and its pink. What other colours do they come in?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica