Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Baby boom-When there is no predator in the tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I started with 2 female and 1 male in my office 1ft tank....
    then 3 months later got more than 20 liao after the gave birth. The parents are big enough to eat their newborn but handful of them escape into some bushes.
    Took 8 back to my home 1.5ft tank, no predator, parents fish are still too small to eat their young, and here's the outcome

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think with livebearers, it's always a challenge to keep the population in check. Especially when housed in a planted tank with plenty of hiding places.

Then again, it always nice to see successful spawns in your tanks, no mater what type of fish they are.

In anycase, the red and green color combination is striking.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have 4 predators in my 55 gallon tank and my mosquito fish managed to breed. The platies were all eaten though , i think they are tastier or slower. Are you intending to reduce their number? If so a suggestion is to use a homemade trap, cut out the top of a bottle and invert the top and jam it back on the bottle, place a little fish food in the bottle, but do monitor the bottle because the fishes do die if the environ is too cramped .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Put a goldfish in there and he will keep the population under control. Just like what I did. Somehow only a few managed to survive from the mouth of the King Kong