Country
    England

Feeding the beast

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello[]
    Would like to know how many times a day or week i should feed my snowflake moray eel..
    he is about 8 inches, and loves frozen lance fish or frozen silversides..these are about 2" each.
    How many of these should i give him a day? or a week?
    Also, because kelvin told me not to hand feed him, i got a feeding stick...
    It seems he is actually very curious abt this stick, and dosnt seem to be intrested in the food on it...so i just put the food outside his "lair" (that he made by digging under a rock[:] and he comes and gets it..
    I am wondering whether or not to try and hand feed him, but i would like to know if there are any dangers? it dosnt seem like he would bite me on purpose...but i know that they are practically blind..
    Please advise,
    James
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Talking about sliversides, where did you get them? Thanks in advance!

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Would like to know how many times a day or week i should feed my snowflake moray eel..
    if u want to feed them.. u can try smaller dosage such as 1 shrimp or 2 slivers daily.. but u should limit it a day without food

Also, because kelvin told me not to hand feed him, i got a feeding stick...
    wise choice..

It seems he is actually very curious abt this stick, and dosnt seem to be intrested in the food on it...so i just put the food outside his "lair" (that he made by digging under a rock[:] and he comes and gets it..
    soon he will associate it with food.. give it some time...

I am wondering whether or not to try and hand feed him, but i would like to know if there are any dangers? it dosnt seem like he would bite me on purpose...but i know that they are practically blind..
    well, u know that they are blind.. and they will not be able to identify fingers from shrimps or slivers..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    hm haha yeah..maybe he mistake me for a nice shrimp..
    I have been told to fast them for 2 days a week, is this reccomended?
    Cedrick, i got them from Aquatonics Aquariums in Glossop, England
    James

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    mez- they not agressive by nature,just curious- i played wif a few moray's on dive trips, only thing is that when they bite they dun wanna let go. A stick is a wise choice.

do u cover ur tank? i have heard of snowflakes wandering out of the tank before.
    stick to kelvin's recommendation of a prawn or silverside daily & 1 day without food. this will help control growth size & yes it will recognise the stick-
    u can use those frozen shelled shrimp from the supermarket(looks pink in colour)- if i remember they call them pacific or Atlantic shrimp, a bag will set u back a few sterling but should work out to a few hundred pieces-2 mths supply at least(Glossop has a huge mart-tesco or safeway or somethin-should still be there). Try to rotate foods-mussels,silvers,shrimps,squid & u should get a healthy immune system built up.
    almost every fish(fresh or marine)in the hobby can do 2 days without feeding- so u can take short trips without worries abt feeding.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    bawater! how you know abt the tescos in glossop man!??!
    Yeah there is..
    Aquatonics just up the road from there!
    Will try those prawns/shrimp..
    Tks,
    Mez

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    been there for grocery shopping, that's why. Used to school in Buxton & lived in chinley a long time ago.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    cedric, u can find slivers at NTUC.. frozen types.. but if u want live ones, u can purchase them from those anglers shops along beach road or opposite Toa Payoh Blk 94 but they are usually pretty huge.. yes big enuff for morays.. if u want smaller ones.. go to NTUC.. i bought some slivers from there b4...

Brandon, never knew that u studied there b4.. hehehe[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Oh, and yes, my tank is covered extremely well with a very tight fitting hood..
    Mez

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oh yeh kelv...yrs ago before i went for NS.

Mez...ur previous post on the things in ur tank, i'm guessing they're copepods,- i had a new bloom recently(but i think mine were rotifiers from my previous live feedings). i had those creepy crawlers on the glass & substrate long time ago until i had a mandarin which wiped them out, now i got a seahorse so i dun see them anymore.
    Should not be anything to worry abt-a little part of your ecosystem, most probably came wif liverock or any live things u bought(water wif fish,corals).