Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Treating apisto internal parasite.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Treating apisto internal parasite.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

Hi i would like to share a detailed account of treating my Apistogramma borelli. This will be updated regularly.
    Recently, I discovered that the two young Apistogramma borelli males in my tank seem to have sunken belly. The larger size one seem to be affected the most. It was negligence on my part not to have notice this sooner.

Likely cause:
    Feeding of live daphnia. This is the most likely cause as the only live food they get is daphnia.

Treatment:
    I chose AQUMEDI's BeFURAN as medication. Following the instructions for advanced infection(1 satchet of 2g to 8 litres of aquarium water), i placed the two fishes in a 2 litre tub and measured 0.5g of medication. The tub was aerated and the fish bath for 15-30 minutes.

After treatment both fishes were returned to the main tank. The larger fish has gone into hiding in the hollow of a driftwood. The smaller male is actively swimming around with the 2 females.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So are they ok now? or still under observation? keep us update..

The passion for aquascaping and apistogramma never fade away

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

0930-1015
    Both males have undergone another bath treatment today. This time i left them in the bath for 45mins. Again after medication they were returned to the tank. After releasing into main tank the males immediately went into hiding. Also fins were clamped to the body.

At 1040 both males were seen swimming around in the tank. Fins normal.

Sunken belly still obvious in larger male.

Smaller male though has shown tremendous signs of improvement. There is almost no sign of internal parasite in the smaller male now. It displays fins to passing by female as if to say "See i'm ok now!"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Larger male has undergone yet another bath in medication. Sunken belly still the same. Male behaving normally but shows no sign of recovery.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That's a good news for your smaller male apisto. Really hope your larger male recovers too.
    Last edited by benny; 17th Mar 2007 at 12:15.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    newbie here.how to differentiate male and female apisto?thinking of rearing them in near future.maybe 2 to 3 months later when i have settled down with school work.sigh.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi go to the cichlids forum. Lots of pro here, me not included. Incidentally some of the forumners are selling some of their collections too, you can check out the marketplace.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hey chong yu,
    thanks alot for being open and sharing on how to treat internal parasite effectively! indeed many many apisto keepers will definitely benefit from your thread. really hope your male will get well real soon! do continue to update us regarding their progress! also, where can we get AQUMEDI's BeFURAN and how much is it? many thanks!
    -clint- ~apisto keepers unite!~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Big male has passed away after worsening of disease. Smaller male has recovered fully though and that is good news. I'll not feed any live foods except brineshrimps to my fishes again. Learnt my lesson.
    AQUMEDI's BeFURAN can be bought at Aquastar Y934 even though i believe most LFS would have medications for this.
    I think the effectiveness depends on how early you spot and treat the disease. It seems impossible to cure at late stages.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I see.. I guess it is quite a good new to know that one of your apistos is actually recovered from internal parasite.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah congrats man chong yu, sorry about your big male though, hope you're not too upset.. but still thanks for sharing your experience with us! you're the man!
    -clint- ~apisto keepers unite!~