Feedback Score
    Country
    South Korea

Need some advice

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Currently I have a (what I believe to be) a 40 gallon breeder tank. Currently I have
    2 Dwarf Gouramis
    2 black Phantoms
    17 Neon Tetras
    2 Albion cory
    2 Black Tetra
    2 Silver anglefish
    2 Purple Cichlid
    5 Yellow Labidios
    4 Clear Shrimp
    6 Red Shrimp
    2 Oto Catfish

And 3 unidentified fish. Maybe you can help with this. I have one that looks like a catfish, has 2 very long whiskers and what looks like a goatie that he uses to skim the rocks. His top fin (dorsal??) has a long extended like Spike. The person I adopted it from warned of it actually stinging me.

BUT, my real question is.

I am currently looking into aquiring some new fish. And this is what I am interested in.

Glass Eel
    Neritina Zebra
    Congo Tetra
    Paradise Fish
    Clown Loach
    and
    Chocolate Gourami

Are these okay fish to add into my mix? and how many of each is most suitable.

I would also like to know, are there any Rams that are fairly docile and can live with 2 sets of breeding fish?

How hard is it to care for a Elephant Nose and does their size become an issue?

so many questions, but I hope you can help me.

Fatmarley

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Your current mix of fish is somewhat puzzling. Are the "yellow labidios" actually Labidochromis caeruleus cichlids? If so, these cichlids prefer water conditions with a pH between 7.8 and 8.9. Not knowing what your "purple cichlids" are, I suspect that is the case with them as well.

Other fishes like gourami, tetra, corys and catfishes all prefer acidic water conditions, something that is pH 7.0 and below. So there is already some incompatibility issues with your current mix. I would actually advise to revisit your current mix first and have the cichlids move to another tank.

As for your future additions, glass eel is a definite no no. They can grow up to up to 100cm/39" in size, so they would need a larger tank size, at least 150cm/5' and above. They will eat fish as well, so they are not suitable in communities with small fishes.

Assuming that pH of your tank is on the acidic or close to neutral end, the other fishes you mentioned may fit in. However, it is advisable that you find out more about each type of fish as there may be certain characteristics that is incompatible with other fishes.

Rams are generally fairly good community fish, but may be a problem considering you have angelfishes in there. Elephant nose is best left for an experienced fishkeeper.

I sense that you seem fairly new to fishkeeping, so I would urge you to browse around and read up more. There is more to fishkeeping than putting fishes in the tank and feed them, e.g. compatifility, bioload, filtration and so on. Understanding more of these can help make your fishkeeping hobby more successful.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Another thing to add on, find out the orginality of the fishes, they will immediately tell you where they are from and what kind of water conditions they should be in. keeping fishes is a whole task of keeping good water parameter, this many fish in a tank would do them and you injustice. I recommend you keep at least three 2-feet tanks to seperate the different species according to their locality.

Feedback Score
    Country
    South Korea
    Well I was just a staging ground for them to go to another owner, I had just rescuded them from a cold suffocation.

I have sold all of them off and I am now building an Apisto tank. Thanks for the advice.