Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Sump for 2 2ft by 1 ft by 1.5 ft tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile DIY Sump for 2 2ft by 1 ft by 1.5 ft tank.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was blessed with 2 almost new 2 ft by 1.5 ftby 1 ft tank by bro juggler last night and they are now sitting on the floor in my dinning hall. Was at 328 this morning after my MA at NUH and thought off wanting to diy a sump which can filter the two tanks together. Can anybody advise?

I intend to use TOYOGO range of boxes as they comes wit lids and pump wise, i am thinking of using wither TOM 400.
    Advise anybody?

set up will be for angel and tetras.

Cheers!!
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

You intend to do any drilling of the tanks?

Also, I think you will be better off if you use 1 sump per tank, the reason is this, when the return pump fails, some water will still flow from the tank into the sump until siphon is broken (when the level of water falls below your intake pipe). This extra volume of water can be accomodated by not filling your sump to the brim.

If your sump is going to support 2 tanks, then it means you have to allocate even more allowance in your sump tank, I am not sure how much space you would be left with for your filter media. I hope you get what i mean.

Best Regards
    - eric

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile DIY Sump tank for 2ft by 1.5 ft by 1 ft

Hi Bro BT,

There will be no drilling involved. My idea is to actually use only pump to pump the water into the tank from the sump. The siphon will take place via means of gravity as i intend to positive feed the suction end with the water that comes out from the outlet from the sump. Now my concern is whether will there be flooding or not.

Can advise? Thanks.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I don't understand what is meant by positive feed. How does it work? Perhaps a drawing would help.

When it comes to sump... always think worst case scenario
    - eric

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bossteck View Post
    Hi,

I don't understand what is meant by positive feed. How does it work? Perhaps a drawing would help.

When it comes to sump... always think worst case scenario
    OK. Here is the pics. Basically when i mentioned positive feed, i means i will connect a hose from A to B when the tank is half way fill with water. as a result of that, end B will suddenly have a drop in pressure. Hence, teh suction will take place via means of positive feed.

Cheers!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bro BT, here is the pic.

Thanks
    Last edited by David Moses Heng; 29th Nov 2008 at 11:21.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

So embarassing, I have having some trouble understanding the diagram, some quesitons here.

1. The 2 boxes labelled A and B are your 2 tanks? What is the rectangle structure on top of the sump?

2. There are breaks in your pipings, how are the pipes connected?
    - eric

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi BT, No worries. I guess my drawings are not to standard. well for the parts labelled A and B, they are the filter inlet and outlet respectively.

A is from the sump. and B is from tank into sump as would a canister filter. As for the rectangular structure above the sump, are you refering to the bluish rectangular box? That is the cover for the sump tank. and all connection for the piping would be done using elbows and liquid silicone.

Cheers!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Updates with more labels.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I was actually referring to the rectangle with no color, with the dark blue and light blue pipes in it.

But thanks for the explanation, now i have a better idea.

All right, your tank to sump inlet, labelled A looks good, once the water level falls below it, the pump will not be able to draw in any more water, so in the event that the pump fails, only a small amount of water will flow into the sump area.

Your sump to tank outlet (labelled B) is where you need to take note, I suggest you drill a small hole, near the top at about the same height as were your inlet meets the water, don't forget, when the pump fails, all hell will break loose, water will also get suck via the outlet back into the sump, nevermind it is connected to the pump. The hole should be enough for the siphon effect (via the outlet pipe) to be broken as well. Hope my input help.

Cheers
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

It's me again...
    I am hopeless at calculating the correct flowrate of the pump you will need for your projecty, if you're too... then check out this product

http://www.eheimasiapacific.com/Engl...mpactplus.html

It is compact and the plus point is, it has controllable output, so you can trial and error and find the right flowrate.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile

Hi,

It's me again...
    I am hopeless at calculating the correct flowrate of the pump you will need for your projecty, if you're too... then check out this product

It is compact and the plus point is, it has controllable output, so you can trial and error and find the right flowrate.
    Thannks for the input. will try it once i get the stand.

Cheers!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile

Hi,

I was actually referring to the rectangle with no color, with the dark blue and light blue pipes in it.

But thanks for the explanation, now i have a better idea.

All right, your tank to sump inlet, labelled A looks good, once the water level falls below it, the pump will not be able to draw in any more water, so in the event that the pump fails, only a small amount of water will flow into the sump area.

Your sump to tank outlet (labelled B) is where you need to take note, I suggest you drill a small hole, near the top at about the same height as were your inlet meets the water, don't forget, when the pump fails, all hell will break loose, water will also get suck via the outlet back into the sump, nevermind it is connected to the pump. The hole should be enough for the siphon effect (via the outlet pipe) to be broken as well. Hope my input help.

Cheers
    Hi BT, i think you get it wrong. A is sump to tank and B is tank to sump. cheers!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

It's me again...

Bro BT, any idea how much is the pump?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

just did a rough calculation.

The volume of the tank is 84.95 ltrs. The volume of the intended toyogo box is at 118.4 ltrs. Total volume of water involved here for one set up is 203.35 ltrs max. Correct me if i'm wrong. Let's say i want a flow rate of say 1200 ltrs/hr, i would have already get myself a DIY sump/canister with the type and amount of filter media that i desire. Right? Sounds good on paper... wonder how it would be like when the execution takes place.

Selected power head is ATMAN 306 with a flow rate of 1200 - 1300 ltrs/hr at a cost of lower than $25 and the box is on retail at $22.50(toyogo ware house price). That would means i can have 2 set of DIY sump/canister at lest than $150?

Better stand by lots of mop and pail...

Inputs anyone?
    Last edited by David Moses Heng; 20th Mar 2007 at 17:33. Reason: WRONG FIGURE

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Here are the figures tabulated.

Please comment.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro, hope you take note of what bossteck mentioned about the length of the pipes and the vent hole.Regardless of inlet or outlet,when the pump is off(you have to switch off sometime) siphon effect will not stop until water level drops below intake level. If your pump is overated, you are in danger of running the filter dry if the siphoning flowrate is not enough. and if vice verse you get a wet floor and an angwee spouse.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
    Bro, hope you take note of what bossteck mentioned about the length of the pipes and the vent hole.Regardless of inlet or outlet,when the pump is off(you have to switch off sometime) siphon effect will not stop until water level drops below intake level. If your pump is overated, you are in danger of running the filter dry if the siphoning flowrate is not enough. and if vice verse you get a wet floor and an angwee spouse.
    Noted. That's why if you have studied the drawings carefully, i have actually incorporated 4 shut off valves along the pipes. Thanks for the pointers Byran.

Cheers!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you want to have 2 tanks filtered by a single sump and a pump, a multi tier setup is ideal. You'll need, depending on the flow of the water, 2 to 4 overflow pipe. I will try to find the link to show the picture so that you would understand. Be right back.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm back! Here is the link to a diy overflow. Read through the thread.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=12846

As for your sump, I would dump the toyogo and go with a deeper tank for the sump. This is important as the sump MUST be able to contain additional water in the piping if the pump is switch off. Also, when the pump is switch on again, it must have a siphon in the overflow to start the flow again. Otherwise, the floor will be wet.....
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast