Images
    Country
    Singapore

"trimming" Sagittaria

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Not sure if anyone is doing it, but I thought here's a good way to thin out your fast-growing Sagittaria...

I have been trying to keep my Sags to one part of the tank. So I removed new runners frequently. Usually after a long period, I would replant the older batch with younger plants.

However the established Sags keep growing thicker and taller. Some of the older leaves also turn slightly black/brown with algae - an eyesore. I gave those a tug and it came off quite easily. Good thing the roots of the Sags are deep and this prevent me from pulling it out. I found it quite amusing and after pulling out a bundle of leaves, the clump of plants have thinned out and looks youthful again.

Why didn't I think of that earlier? It's just like cutting off the outer rim of leaves in a Sword plant.

I guess there should be no harm to the plants. Cheers!
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wouldnt it take alot of time and effort to maintain jus the foreground? I face the same thing with my E. tenellus and me hoping the newer runner would cover up those unsightly algae.. pulling isnt an option, since tenellus dun have long, strong roots, one tug and everything comes out.. any idea?