Images
    Country
    Singapore

Aritcle on bloodworms as fishfood

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i am not sure abt the haemoglobin part... that bloodworm has this advantage over other food

coz their red coloration is not exactly blood.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    good article, vinz! thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Good one vinz
    oh.....so the frozen big worms are actually near pupae stage & thus less butrious? & the smaller(younger)ones are better in nutitional values? just like brine shrimp.
    right or wrong?

i have tried somethin for a while, 1 cube big bloodworms(imported),1 cube small bloodworms"cut yourself kind"-(i think from malaysia) & 1 cube brine shrimp.
    In order of preference,brine shrimp,small bloodworms & lastly big bloodworms(even if cut up) sometimes the big ones are left uneaten.
    corys seem to really dislike the big worms, only eat if got no choice.
    Tetras wallop all, leaving the bigger ones alone.
    Discus prefer small worms then big worms then brineshrimp.
    My marine fishes eat everything so cannot use results.
    i do understand the big worms dun get accepted easy by other ppl as well- any reasons?,any guesses?
    unless u try a taste for yourself to see difference(which i don't intend too thank you beri much!!!!)[]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm guessing bigger, tougher and harder to chew.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I may want to try frozen brine shrimps. Are they more hygenic with lesser risk of disease transmission?

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    elmike.. u dun mean trying to eat them do u???[:0]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I heard of one farm in LCK or Sungei Tengah breeding bloodworms...
    Uniting all Guppy lovers

Guppy Club, Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hee hee elmike,u want to taste it!!yes its much cleaner & The hikari brand products has added vitamin C

seriously- u dun use frozen? u use live foods everyday or dry foods everyday?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ...I've got "big mouth" fit only for frozen tiger prawns[]...brine shrimps NO ENOUGH! []

Seriously, how big are those mouth-watering brines?? Will they fit the mouths of pearl/ dwarf gouramis and a 5" angelfish?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wah, you eat your prawns uncooked ah?

Yes, frozen brine shrimps will fit the mouths of pearl/dwarf gouramis and angel-fishes. The shrimp are about 2-3 mm in size.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bawater

From day one, all my fish had flakes, dried bloodworms and tetra bits. No live food...poor fish! For one thing, my son is allergic to the sight of wrigglies... and there was also the fear disease transmission.

I think I would only go as far as frozen food. I already had some serious convincing to do to my wife for letting me keep frozen worms in her fridge...I sincerely sincerely hope my daugther will not mistaken those redish-brown cubes for chocolates!!!

But I think my fish have done well so far growing up on dried food. They've been with me for more than a year now.

mike

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mike
    i'm just a following a rule i tested for some yrs-(actually 5yr so far & ongoing)
    i had a discus who would only eat frozen bloodworms-nothin else,lasted 2 yrs & i guess death by liver disease(after consulting a UK fish disease site)cause it was healthy & spawning every few weeks.
    i read this kind of feeding regime somewhere a while ago(i think by nick daikin or i may be wrong),still experimental-prevention is better than cure
    The target is to build up the fishes natural immune system wif an adequate intake of proteins,amino acids & vitamins. It also quickens growth.
    An aro i had got from 3" to 15" in 9mths on 5 feedings daily-everybody scratch head how it got so big so fast.

now i try to rotate between 5-6 diff foods weekly @2 meals a day & live foods once or twice a month.
    i cured whitespot by feeding wif Hikari products,chopped prawns soak in garlic juice & live foods@3 meals a day(breakfast,dinner & supper)-cleared in 6 days.happened only abt 4times cause mostly they dun get sick.
    If i condition some fishes- they go on high protein frozen diet & live foods exclusively,no dried stuff(depends on the fish,some extra fresh lettuce & banana too).sometimes i just condition for vibrant colours.
    Now my freezer only has ice cubes & rest is my frozen stuff.
    i have an injured L46 to tend to- its got an open wound so its in a holding tank since last nite.dosage starts tomorrow but wif added vitamins.
    i dun use or have any medication at home,not even anti-chlorine- threw it all away long time.
    u should try a pack of brineshrimp & see results-if ur fishes take to them.sometimes their taste differs.

After reading vinz's link,i'm sticking to small bloodworms i guess.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bawater

Gee! Sounds like more work than feeding a baby. It reminds of all those baby food preparations we had to whip up...those chopped prawns, chopped meat, chopped lettuce, spinach, etc...having to feed 2 young kids is work enough, really! Maybe you could make a bigger portion of your fish concoctions and pass around, eh?[]

I agree w u that prevention is better than cure (if there's at all a cure for most of the fish diseases). After one year and many fish deaths, I've come to the conclusion that it is almost always futile trying to medicate a sick fish. My wife always complains that everytime I try to play fish doctor, I kill the fish and she's been always right[:] []