Thread: How deep is deep ?

Feedback Score

How deep is deep ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear Marine aquarist,

- Can anyone please advise me how deep (Height)the tank should be if I am intending to set up a Marine Tank ? I believe those buy of the shelf ones are not deep enough.

Thanks
    Marlin

Feedback Score
    Depends on how long ur hands can reach the bottom, or else u'll have to tie the Live Rocks to a pulley and lower it down...

Hi,

IMO, the depth would be dependent on what you intend to keep and the kind of lighting you will be adopting. With low light requirement corals, you can still get away with FL at about 18 inch. With high light requirement inverts like clams, with FL, you need it at the surface of the water literally. With MH, you can keep more varities of corals at greater depth.

Another point to note is do you intend to keep a substrate. If you do, how many inches do you want it? The sandbed will need to be taken into consideration as well when deciding on depth.

Hope this helps!

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the most common depth is 2ft, 2.5ft and 3ft.. and after 2ft, chances are, u will need additional tools or poles to reach the depth.. and lets not forget, your arms "undergrowth" will get a "washing" as well.. hehehe.. and your lifestock is does not want to be subjected to such an "abuse"..hehehe... this happens to me when i do my cleaning...[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Hi all,

Thanks for the Info. The next info. that I required is, what are the 'Beginners' coral, which means a chiller is not necessary Where can I get info. on corals, details such as Temperature, nature Habitat etc ? and how much are Corals selling at ? Also, for my 2 feet tank, is one Blue and one white a correct combinations ?

Thanks a million,
    Marlin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what are the 'Beginners' coral, which means a chiller is not necessary
    "beginners" corals are usually mushrooms.. u can try leather too.. if ur temp is abt 28-29 average..

Where can I get info. on corals, details such as Temperature, nature Habitat etc ?
    try this book: The marine aquarium by nick dakin.. they have good info on corals

and how much are Corals selling at ? Also, for my 2 feet tank, is one Blue and one white a correct combinations ?
    coral prices ranges from $3-200 (rarer ones)... so.. u would have to take a look.. and pls.. read up on corals requirements b4 purchasing them.. and those blue and white are lights?? FL or PL or MH??
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Hi KelStorm,

- Thanks for your great advice, really appreciate it But, as I am totally still new in this line, do you have any posted pictures on this web that shows what is a 'Mushrooms', 'Leathers' and 'Fingers' ? THanks for the trouble.

- Where did you last purchase / seen the 'The Marine Aquarium' by Nick Dakin, so that I can quickly get hold of this book and start reading the Info. Thanks

Cheers
    Marlin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    cabbage leather coral
    leather tool coral
    mushrooms

Where did you last purchase / seen the 'The Marine Aquarium' by Nick Dakin, so that I can quickly get hold of this book and start reading the Info. Thanks
    the book is available at kino(taka).. i bought the book abt 6-7 yrs ago when i first started out..

Feedback Score
    Hi Kelstorm,

- I got the Book oready, really Thanks for recommending this book as it has answered alot of my questions.

- I will be getting a 4 ft tank, there is one question that I would like to seek your professional advice on, I will be building the so call 3-Layers sump filter (Somthing that I saw in Rainbow aquarium), on one side of the sump filter, I will be using a hose to draw out the water by gravitational force, upon filtering through the different layers of the filter, I will be getting a Ehim pump to suck back the water up to the tank. The question is how do I balance the flow ? If the pump is sucking out too fast, will not be the sump area be dry up ? If suck out too slowly, the water in the tank will be lower and lower....is there any means of balancing the flow rate ?

Thanks
    Marlin

I will be using a hose to draw out the water by gravitational force
    The question is how do I balance the flow ? If the pump is sucking out too fast, will not be the sump area be dry up ? If suck out too slowly, the water in the tank will be lower and lower....is there any means of balancing the flow rate ?

If your system is an overflow, then input into the tank and out of the tank will be equal, regardless of the output of the pump (provided that the pump's output is less than the max capacity of the overflow).

Unless you are using a sipon tube to act as an "overflow"

get a ready built overflow tank instead. as long as u r not using a hose as the overflow u wont hv problems.

a proper overflow shld look like this
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    - I got the Book oready, really Thanks for recommending this book as it has answered alot of my questions.
    no prob.. glad to be of help... i have a couple of books on marine too.. and i kenna scolding already.. hehehe.. but i will only recommend those that are good and worth buying..

- I will be getting a 4 ft tank, there is one question that I would like to seek your professional advice on, I will be building the so call 3-Layers sump filter (Somthing that I saw in Rainbow aquarium), on one side of the sump filter, I will be using a hose to draw out the water by gravitational force, upon filtering through the different layers of the filter, I will be getting a Ehim pump to suck back the water up to the tank. The question is how do I balance the flow ? If the pump is sucking out too fast, will not be the sump area be dry up ? If suck out too slowly, the water in the tank will be lower and lower....is there any means of balancing the flow rate ?

[b]actually, i have not been to rainbow lately.. so, i dun really have the faintest of idea on your description.. nevertheless, this is how my tank works...
    the main tank have a overflow system which water will be drained via gravity into the 1st sump(filtration - wool, bio-balls) then into the bottom 2nd sump (bio-balls) and then to another section of filterwool and charcoal.. b4 it was pumped back to the main tank.. is that similar to those in rainbow?? []

Feedback Score
    Hey Spiff,
    That's a Durso standpipe! I use one too! Good stuff!
    Anyway, this is my first post.
    Hello everyone![]