Images
    Country
    Singapore

2 hours at Singapore Botanical Gardens... :p

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Well, on the request of my mum, I brought her and my dad to the Singapore Botanical Gardens (SBG) last Sunday. The weather is good and I need a break too and so off we went… We only managed to spend 2 hours there... But we had not walked together like that for a long time. My parents had not been there for like 20 years and the 2hr walk in SBG brought back memories for them… But they did comment that the park looked different and was sad that some familiar features like the black swans and the plant clock were gone…

I tell you, the weather is nice, not much sun, but it is DAMN humid… Haha… Man, this kind of walk is not for me…

Anyway, I took some pictures to share…

We started our walk from the Visitors’ Carpark at the Taman Serasi Foodcourt. Where we saw tissue culture at work…

Kind of fun to see the bottles being swirled non-stop… What’s the reason for that?

We saw lots of large pieces of driftwood there… And beautifully hand crafted…

Wish I have a tank big enough for them… Haha…

Next, we reach the first pond… Where the terrapins were happily swimming around…

A lonely fellow…

A trio fighting…

No real swans… The 2 white ones we saw at the other end of the pond mysteriously disappeared when we reached there… So, here are some substitutes… Heh…

Found this at the pond edge.. Flowers look nice…
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    And so we walked on…

The famous S$5 dollar tree…

No, not that it costs S$5 lah… Check the back of the S$5 note if you still don’t know…

Walk on, we did… to see beautiful flowers along the way…

Vanda ‘Miss Joaquim’, our National Flower.

Ginger flowers

‘Dancing flowers’

These seem easy to grow… Hmm… Perhaps I should try them at home…

We were also at the Cacti Gardens (or whatever the name… Cannot recall now ) Nice aloe vera looking plant…

The quest for knowledge…
    Last edited by Justikanz; 7th Apr 2007 at 23:52.

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Then as we walk on, we reach the Visitors’ Center… I tell you, I had NEVER been to this part of SBG before… So, imagine my delight to find orchids on display and for sale…

Are they judging the plants??

This is beautiful…

But this is the most beautiful orchid I had ever seen!...

I wanted to buy it, it is love at first sight! Haha… But the price scared me away… Hee… My mum says that if I am unable to get it to flower again once the present flowers died away, I should not bother to get new orchids… Let alone such an expensive one… Bless my mum for her foresight on my capability!

Anyway, there were also lots of jewel orchids on sale too… Another attempt to buy… But I decided to give them a miss…

Until my work schedule allows me to spend time on my plants! Hee…

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    And so we started the long way back to the carpark…

Where we say ‘someone’ cycling…

And on the swing…

Hee…

And we saw people learning how to draw…

The old gentleman is the teacher, I think…

Nice man-made stream as we walk to the carpark…

Wish I have a garden big enough for a stream like that!

Some last pictures… We saw pitchers along the way down the stream…

Haha… Now I wonder if I should get pitcher plants! Haha…

Lastly, I find this cute…

Flowers with whiskers! Hee…

Thanks for viewing!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the reason for shaking the orchids clones in the flash is so that the tissue will keep actively dividing into a bigger clump (aka callus). They will keep dividing the callus to get more and more plant tissue. After which, they will be transfered to a still flask to let the callus develop roots and shoots (with appropriate plant hormones). And they will keep dividing them until they have many many plantlets in a flask before they transfer them outside to be acclimatised.

Looks like you had fun in SBG.

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the black swans (and some ducks) are at the Eco Lake at the bukit timah side (in front of the old NIE). The symphony lake now has a nice population of lesser whistling ducks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice........ I used to go there too and also the other one on Bt Timah side... Just realised that after all my trips I don't have as many photos as you... gotto go back and take some.. sayang that I did not take pictures of the old BTG... But its always pleasant visiting the place... Personally, I think its one of the best place here for locals as well as tourist... Should have ice-cream man on the tricycle cart or ice-kacang... then will be World best...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks, CK...

Wah, Budak, at the other end ah?? *Faint*... I walked to the Middle lake want to die liao... Tee shirt all wet already...

Should have walked on... Then mum can see the swans...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Yup.. Budak is right.. i see them all the time so near my place..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    I love that place. One of the great escapes for the locals and tourists as well

I kinda envy the mist greenhouse (the one inside where you have to pay)... going to make myself one smaller version of a paludarium/vivarium one day...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice pictures. Love to go there once a while.