Thread: corals get injured?

Feedback Score

corals get injured?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

new to the hobby of reef keeping. just moved to a 3ft tank about 3 weeks ago. cycling ok, and have gotten a few corals to start. one day, found one of the corals dropped off into back of tank. picked it up and put it back, but since then, have not opened well. yeterday, it developed sores and brown jello. I took it out and tried to wipe off the jello with my hand. put it back into the tank, and initially it looked better. but this morning, the whole coral looked like it "melted"...all gooey. now I took it out and got rid of it, cos afraid the brown jello may infect the rest of the tank (had experienced the brown jello epidemic in my old 2ft tank).

question is
    - do corals get injured from falls?
    - if yes, how to cure?
    - how to preven brown jello epidemic? change water?

tks

yes they do get injured.
    jus put them back n let them recover.

they r afew factors.i think the prob is not the fall but ur tank. its only 3 weeks old. corals need at least 3mths be4 they can be put in the tank. ur tank is very very young.i dun think the coral cant make it........

2nd, ur lighting may not be enuff...therefore bleaches..or when it fell it didnt receive light

3rd is ur water....hows ur ammonia,no2,no3

n 4th...ur temp...this is the way most corals die when the temp is too high.it takes abt 2-3weeks be4 is succumbs to the temp. ur temp shld b below 29

corals tend to spew out mucus looking stuff when they are stressed. Keep it cleaned around polyp heads but don't scrub it. It will hopefully recover. It may be a little bleached for a while

btw wat coral izzit? we need more info to help.
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    tks for the quick reply. to answer yr questions:

lighting...believe its OK. all my other corals are flowering.

water recently tested and so seems within limits

temp is question mark. currently at around 28 deg. buying a hailea chiller soon to take this lower to around 26 deg. hope this will help solve.

my tank is not strictly new, i that I transferred many stuff from old tank, like sand, live rock, filter media, water. the previous tank was up and running for around 6 months.

will monitor the tank over next few days to see.

as for what coral is it...I am still trying to find out the name. but description is that is is soft coral, brown in colour, when "flower" will open up and expand and sprout small feelers (dark brown) all over the body, ex stem.

cheers

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    nevertheless, welcome to aquaticquotient.. and the "dark" side.. []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.