Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this is the last time i try a planted tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

this is the last time i try a planted tank.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    uprooting plants.... leaves shedding.... stems rotting.
    i have major problems maintaining a planted tank. i got so few up that i tore the whole tank down today and bought new plants. then yet again, the stem cuttings wouldnt stick into the gravel substrate. how do you guys manage to plant your plants??! those hard to reach places are a pain. then there's the inserting the stem one by one method but it still fails.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    have u tried a long tweezer?

- The world is divided into those who tweeze and those who twit -

Anon, 2002.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    my plants' stems rot and shed leaves when they do not have enuf light....but not so much of a problem now that i upgraded my lights.... except for some more demanding plants still have "leaf rot" once in a while...
    so is your light enuf ?

----------------
    On 8/26/2002 7:04:17 PM

i have major problems maintaining a planted tank. i got so few up that i tore the whole tank down today and bought new plants. then yet again, the stem cuttings wouldnt stick into the gravel substrate. how do you guys manage to plant your plants??! those hard to reach places are a pain. then there's the inserting the stem one by one method but it still fails.
    ----------------
    It would help if you give us more details to your tank setup like tank size, amount of lighting, CO2, fertilizers, type of sand/gravel etc.

Feedback Score
    Hi, no fear - if u have put up with any women in yr life, setting up a planted tank is kacang putih.
    I was new 5 months ago setting up a planted tank n now everything grows beautifully and all the women ooh n aah
    So it's not impossible - then again I've got CO2, fertilised subtrate, MH, canister and expert advice from friends n LFS.
    Just do it!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    insufficient lights? no CO2? WRONG (ie non-aquatic) plants!?

the stem cuttings wouldnt stick into the gravel substrate. how do you guys manage to plant your plants??!

either you don't have a tweezer or you have too big gravel.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I believe one got to stick by the rule in planted tank. Read up as much as you can. When I was new, I tend to do it 'my way' and eventually screwed up everything. It's very rewarding to see your plant and fish in healthy form. Don't give up.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    dun let alittle setback turn u off, there r logically explanation to what has happen, perharps u like to give us more details.. (tank, lights, plants, Co2?)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    its a 5g tank without Co2. just had it running a few days ago. i just redid it today. i'm not sure on the lights though, it looks enough, but it think it needs more. the light when i bought it doesn't show how much watts it has.
    tweezers? i saw one selling at $32. isnt that kind of ex?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/26/2002 10:46:01 PM

its a 5g tank without Co2. just had it running a few days ago. i just redid it today. i'm not sure on the lights though, it looks enough, but it think it needs more. the light when i bought it doesn't show how much watts it has.
    tweezers? i saw one selling at $32. isnt that kind of ex?
    ----------------
    CT, sounds like you've explained everything! []
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Patience me lad. Hey, the first time I did my planted tank, the entire BIG driftwood floated up. Plants and BASE fertiliser floated up. I almost cried there and then. Come on. Stick with it, learn and go along the way. We all got horror stories to tell one. gambate!!
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Cardinal Tetra don't give up!!!! [:0] Do it slowly..find a day you are really free (make sure everything is in place before hand)..base substrate laid properly then followed by gravel (2mm-3mm)..too big cannot hold plants well. (Sometimes the plants will float up after you just plant them..do it again and press down the sand with little pressure around the area where the plant is planted..should help hold down the plant.) What kind of fishes or in the first place are there any fishes yet in your tank? Big mouth heavy gravel diggers should not be in the tank!!!![]..

Anymore questions kindly post here..will be willing to help if it is within my reach. ]
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i just hope that my light is enough for the plants. i had a past experience where all the plants turned brown in a week.
    the tank currently has 3 rummynose tetras. i'll try to get a pic of the tank that i made today.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    did u guys know, the smaller the tank, the harder it is?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    CT, don't give up lah. Sounds like something wrong with your fundamentals. Give us more details, and see if we can give you better advice.

- Light wattage? Usually its printed on the tube itself.
    - Base fert?
    - Liquid fert?
    - What plants?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    CT, i am a newbie too.

Managed to start in the right track by reading more and ask more.

My planted 2ft tank is now growing well.

I guess we have to start with the right tools...ie.CO2 and light + Fertilzers.

My Riccia lawn bubbled in 1 day....[]
    Just a Newbie ...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You should not give up!! I had lots of problems too. But these guys in aquatic quotient really were very helpful. Tips here and there were very helpful if implemented correctly.

Once things turn out properly, you will find it very rewarding. You just have to be very patient.

Geoffrey

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The basics:
    1. Light
    For your 5 gal, I will suguest a 1x11W PL or something equivalent. If you do not plan to use CO2, I will suggest that you don't use too high lights.

2. Carbon source
    You need to have a carbon source. Normally, aquatic plants will get the carbon from CO2 or HCO3-. Alternatively, you can use products like Seachem Excel.

3. Nutrients
    Most liquid fertilisers are adequate. But use them sparingly because you do not have CO2 injection.Plants will not absorb the nutrients as fast. Maybe 1/2 or 1/4 of the recommended dose. Do insert 1 or 2 plant root tabs into the gravel. Fish waste and food will provide the rest.

4. Substrate
    Choose a proper substrate. About 1mm to 3mm grain size gravel is ok. Too big grains cannot hold the plants and traps too much wastes. Too small grains may stop the plants from spreading the roots properly. I don't think you need a base fert for such small tank. Insert a Fe tab or 2 into the substrate. I recommend Seachem Flourish tabs or JBL.

5. Plants
    Most importantly, choose the right plants. Some LFS sell plants that are not meant for aquariums. They will rot after some times in the aquarium. Your tank is small and you may want to choose some smaller plants and not so fast growing type.

6. Fishes
    Do not keep too many fishes. Otherwise, you may have a problem with algae or NO2 spike.

Good luck and enjoy!

But don't forget the most important factor: patience.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh yeah...

tweezers... Your tank is small... don't have to use the long expensive kind. You can pick one up from the hardware store. Less expensive. Choose one with a flat tip rather than the sharp pointed ones so you don't end up squashing or damaging the plants.

One more thing... remove the plants from the pots provided. Trim the roots a bit and plant them one by one.

BC[]
    think i'm getting very lor sor

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    neber give up.

where u stay, mabbee one of us can pop by and take a look..

took a few years to get from this

to this

image is superimposition of 2 tanks hor..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast