Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Need some suggestions on rare or beautiful corals

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    OK, I'm in my search on which SPS corals I most like to have with some other soft and LSP corals as well. I am looking for coral names which I might search for and decide to what if I might want that coral or not. Also I am for later on, looking for what could be my personal web page to host my aquariums, I found one right now that the site appears to be excellent in quality and it cost somewhere from $2,500 to $3,000 and will have an hourly fee of $45.

Buddy
    Will have seven tanks in all: Two 40 gal breeders for QT, one for FO and the other is to be divided into two separated tank sections with their own filters for corals. Two tanks running as one system, a 70 & 130 gal tanks with a 150, 180 and 240 gal reef tanks. In the next few months to come, the 150 and 180 will be started up after I the new QT for corals setup. Finally!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello Buddy!

Honestly, sps wise I can't help you as I do not have the right equipment to house them and will not be going in that direction anytime soon. I'm still getting a hang on with softies for the most part in my tank. But I am always in awe at tanks that are filled with sps. The colors that these corals exhibit are fantastic. Maybe in the future, when I have enough experience will I venture into hard coral. But if I come upon any nice sps coral pics in the net, I will link it here in your thread.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Since you are from the states, I would say you are probably in the best country for purchasing rare and beautiful corals. That's because the only the states and EU (not to forget Japan) got the reefing population as well as the purchasing power for exporters in Asian, Carib, Indian, Redsea, Fuji etc to make more margins $$$$ then other smaller countries. Therefore, good stuffs mostly were usually exported there.

For SPS, it is subjective as to which is nice and rare. Some people might find, for example, leng sy cap (a kind of monti) to be beautiful but others do not. Red staghorns may be popular once but look at it now. Tri-color acros used to be hot too. Not to mention once coral cultivators got hold of rare stuffs, they "mass produce" it and dilute the rarity of it. There were superman montis, rainbow montis also.

While coral beauty and rarity is one factor for the periodical crazes, there are also corals that require extreme care and good parameters for growth, let alone its survival. Thus these will relate to how well the water parameters were maintained and further indicate expensive equipments and ultimately inflated egos and rivalries. These corals will then be catagorized as "rare" as few reefers can keep them in good health.

Thus in order to answer your question, you must know your objectives in keeping a reef tank, especially in keeping sps. How well can your tank water parameters be maintained? What are your lightings? What fauna is/will be present?

Lastly, be sure to buy aquacultured corals. Be a responsible reefer.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Buddy,
    you can try www.coralfanatics.com. Quite a big collection and individual pieces for sale. Have fun.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ADA View Post
    Since you are from the states, I would say you are probably in the best country for purchasing rare and beautiful corals. That's because the only the states and EU (not to forget Japan) got the reefing population as well as the purchasing power for exporters in Asian, Carib, Indian, Redsea, Fuji etc to make more margins $$$$ then other smaller countries. Therefore, good stuffs mostly were usually exported there.

For SPS, it is subjective as to which is nice and rare. Some people might find, for example, leng sy cap (a kind of monti) to be beautiful but others do not. Red staghorns may be popular once but look at it now. Tri-color acros used to be hot too. Not to mention once coral cultivators got hold of rare stuffs, they "mass produce" it and dilute the rarity of it. There were superman montis, rainbow montis also.

While coral beauty and rarity is one factor for the periodical crazes, there are also corals that require extreme care and good parameters for growth, let alone its survival. Thus these will relate to how well the water parameters were maintained and further indicate expensive equipments and ultimately inflated egos and rivalries. These corals will then be catagorized as "rare" as few reefers can keep them in good health.

Thus in order to answer your question, you must know your objectives in keeping a reef tank, especially in keeping sps. How well can your tank water parameters be maintained? What are your lightings? What fauna is/will be present?

Lastly, be sure to buy aquacultured corals. Be a responsible reefer.
    Hi ADA, I find "this" really uncalled for. You barely know the guy, geez... for crying out loud. Please give opinions solely on the matter of fact and refrain from asserting your own views upon others.
    The forum is for sharing and not lamblasting. I bear no ill intentions but I believe the message could have been delivered or shared in a more articulate manner.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lai View Post
    Hi ADA, I find "this" really uncalled for. You barely know the guy, geez... for crying out loud. Please give opinions solely on the matter of fact and refrain from asserting your own views upon others.
    The forum is for sharing and not lamblasting. I bear no ill intentions but I believe the message could have been delivered or shared in a more articulate manner.
    Greetings Mr. Lai,

I am confused as to where in my post did I meant to offend the thread starter? As you had advice on giving opinions based on facts, then which part is my post is not based on facts? When did I forcefully asserted my views onto him? In what way am I not sharing? Am I lamblasting in advicing people to buy aquacultured corals and it's uncalled for?

I used to be reefing for quite many years and had experieced from "tube worm crazes" (80s) to "sps crazes" (since a few years ago) and had since stopped due to eco damage of reefs while diving. Not to mention knowing many other reefers and marine retailers locally and in foreign countries and my above post carry the same sentiments as theirs in regards to peroidical crazes in so called rare and beautiful corals. As the threadstarter had left his question pretty open ended and subjective in nature, I answered truely in good nature mainly, in a rhetorical way, questioning what constitute to coral being "rare" and "beautiful"?

I bear no ill intents for you as well or any others, as you mentioned "sharing", I am just doing that. Perhaps it's my lack in putting emoicons in my posts, which leave the intent to reader's imagination.... here you go.... .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've said my piece, do as you deemed fit.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I been having trouble in signing in here and I just redo my membership in order to that I might read what others had responded with in my quest. Also I need to see why is it im getting no auto response email>

The other thing in the idea of corals I would love to have later be another question to what corals I shouldn't get for these corals are that is a step in a new direction for me. I also provided a link to where im able to upload a good many corals images, and I guess the question be is which ones I cannot have in my tanks that I will have 250 watts MH.

http://oldmanofthesea38.blogspot.com/

On many I did changed from what was only labled as "Coral" for others had told me of their species in which still a great number of them are as yet with name as well if any and all would do fine in my tanks. Also I will afterwards list those corals with one to three stars, three being the corals im most interested in.

Thus in order to answer your question, you must know your objectives in keeping a reef tank, especially in keeping sps. How well can your tank water parameters be maintained? What are your lightings? What fauna is/will be present
    I will have calcium and phosphate reactors as well on both tanks are chillers and as things move a long here, i will look for the best method to help and maintain these tanks water parameters. I as well will not buy any the SPS corals until the 5th month and still those corals will be QT at my lfs for 4-6 weeks.

I no plans to buy these corals directly out from the wild, that captive corals will do just fine.

michael lai, Thanks, I will check it out Also on your quote to ADA, its OK of his thoughts, for Im not a beginner other then the corals I most will keep later on, I still look for any input on SPS corals. Also if one wishes to like act in some way as some personal guild with me with the tanks and so forth, I will request of some background on that individual to learn of their professional background. And im sorry, I refuse to accept photos and such by email.

Thanks

Buddy
    Will have seven tanks in all: Two 40 gal breeders for QT, one for FO and the other is to be divided into two separated tank sections with their own filters for corals. Two tanks running as one system, a 70 & 130 gal tanks with a 150, 180 and 240 gal reef tanks. In the next few months to come, the 150 and 180 will be started up after I the new QT for corals setup. Finally!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That's a awful lot of tanks, buddy! Makes me think of the good old days I had. Just curious, wouldn't maintenance be costly? If in Singapore, our electricity bills would have shot through the roof and the time and effort required. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your tanks, if you should require I have some good read on SPS which I can recommend. Till then be safe and have fun.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Well im in the states and the only huge cost Im expecting from this, are the lights

These tanks photos are two years old or more>

I will before the tanks are work on to complete, take pictures as they are now and pictures when completed, the biggest job is to replace the sump on the 240 and secondly, the lights on both tanks to be upgraded from 175 MH to 250 watts MH

Buddy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Lovely tanks, buddy. I can see the descending layout from the smaller tank and the 2 island layout from the bigger tank. It should be a smasher once it done, another point I like is that you have not try to max out the coral area which a lot of hobbyists do. Do update us and thanks for the pictures.

I might take up one if my missus allow..

Cheerio.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I not had the intentions to have these tanks side by side with one another for where I wanted to have the 180, I couldn't due to the floor not strong and if I had known this well a head of time, I would had dump the 180 and gotten one large tank to fit in this wall area and with the cost I put into these tanks with the upgrades on the old 180 and the new 240, I could had a 20-22' and 3' wide system, For I spent up to now, which will be as high as $36,500. I hate these big projects for they take much planning and spending.

another point I like is that you have not try to max out the coral area which a lot of hobbyists do

If you mean that I not limit myself, yes I have no intentions on doing so for when you think about it that here I am, a person who lives on his disability checks and so, with limited money to spend as well. And up till now I not spared any cost, for if its something I want that is best for these tanks, I will have it in time. As it is, these are the final aquarium systems in this hobby.

I learned a while ago that my granddaughter who is now four has taking a interest in fish. The last time I had here with me driving to her dance lessons, she ask me if she could have a fish. I told her that she needs right now to wait a while and later on when she her own room that we would talk to her mommy and daddy on setting up a 30 gal freshwater, I'm hoping in a way that I can hold off on this idea until she is 8-9 of age. What be great about that is if she is taking a big interest in fish or aquariums, she can take these tanks I have once im no longer able to maintain them myself. She likes toy snakes for her mommy calls some eels I had through the years, monsters.

So yes, for the most part of these tanks, SPS corals will dominate both tanks for it and sea horses are the two I not done, and sea horses will have to wait till my next life, lol

Buddy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Just my opinion,

SPS demand perfect water parameters ... and the lighting is the food.So ... plenty plenty of metal halides are a MUST.Just like Michael Lai from Singapore said ... similarly maintaining them here in Malaysia ... my wife gave me the weird sarcastic look everytime the electricity bill comes.

BTW Buddy,
    Nice big setup u have there ...

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Might want to take a look at the 175W MH systems also. Some of them put out as much PAR as the 250W systems.

Are the corals in the link currently in your tanks or are those stocks from someone else's? If they're in your tank, that's a pretty nice collection.
    Eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

I'm looking for other suggestions on phosphate reactors

OK, A bit up date here for now I was getting for a while, first a 60 gal tank for a coral QT and that gone up to a 90 then 120 and now is a 150 gal tank. A short discussion was on it and then this 150 will now be a main reef tank from the start. Being I not had to buy a skimmer, chiller or lights for this tank, the setup is rather cheap in cost being it was only on the 150 gal tank with a 65 gal sump in which i will be running a fuge with a 20 gal H. Im also getting the stand build for this tank with a canopy. I will soon get a price quote on another 40 gal breeder tank and it will have a partitioner divider making the tank with two totally separated systems with their own filters and i will have a T5. The 150 is just shy of $3,000>

I'm now looking for other suggestions on phosphate reactors>

Here I have a few links to some suggestions on a phosphate reactor and I now know that I will be able to place most of these either in a sump or HOB of the sump, not HOB of the tank itself. I like to see if any here can add to the type of selection I now have and I will need a phosphate reactor for three tanks, a 150 plus a 65 gal sump and a 180 plus a 50 gal tank and a 240 with plus a 100-125 gal sump. Also if anybody here know of where i can buy both phosphate and calcium media in as large a bucket I can get. I know this isn't cheap buy by buying it so large I not would need to buy them so often.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_search...20reactor.html
    http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_search...20reactor.html
    http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquari...s_reactor.html
    http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquari...an_reactor.htm
    http://www.northeastmarines.co.uk/ac..._Reactors.html???
    http://www.tsunamiaquatic.com/catalo...68/1995849.htm

Thanks
    Buddy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Buddy!

Personally, I am using Two Little Fishies phosphate reactor for my 120g tank. I am using 2 connected in series, 1 housing RowaPhos and the other housing carbon and a Eheim 1048 pump I have as spare. Looking at the link, the Kent ones looks the same as what I am using but it has an extra sponge on top. But if you have more cash to play with, Deltec looks good but I have no experience using Deltec's phosphate reactor.

As for bulk order, maybe you could try the sponsor forum at RC, Two Part Solution for bulk orders. That's the only one I know in the US.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Hi there BFG, I was also looking hard at the Deltec reactors, but I not know what their cost are for me being I would be buying them international and i not have the figures on their maximum gal capabilities and that is why I have the question marks after that link. Im sure the cost will be more in half being I pay with US currency. I really need to learn more about the deltec models and I have no issues on spending a extra few bucks to have something better.

I twice before I resigned my membership at RC, I can never think about rejoining that forum after what the staff done there. I requested due to their unfairness that they weren't what I like, I no problem with the people mind you, just their unjust in many of their decisions>

Thanks

Buddy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Buddy, I've found the distributor for Deltec in US.

http://www.deltecusa.us/

Doug is his name. You could call him up and enquire. And the link below is of his friend who owned an lfs and is selling Deltec stuff if I'm not wrong.

http://atlantisva.com/

Hope this helps!

P.S. I have no connection with these 2 vendors but have been looking at them through the Deltec sponsor forum at RC and they are not the moderator of that club, just a business entity, lfs owner.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Thanks and it does help for now on Monday I will try calling Atlantis Aquariums And check if what the prices are as if they are as I now see them at for the models FR509 $209.00 and FR616 $778.00, I will then go with two FR509 for the 150 and 180 and I much time before im to start the 240 which will have a total water volume, more then 300 gals in which then I will have to figure that I will have to go with FR1016. I already had spent thousands on the 240 system and its nt in the way im happy with it, which is why I will still need to spend a few thousands more to have it somewhat decent enough that I can be proud show photos and im still the same like to begin a link of my own, I had one that was free and back when I had problems due to AOL, I lost many things which I would wanted to keep.
    I will have a look at the RC thread for the Deltecs, and thank again for you been very helpful in my search for a phosphate reactor

Buddy
    Last edited by vinz; 3rd Jan 2009 at 01:06.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Buddy, not a problem for me. Glad to be able to assist. I understand your situation over at RC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast