Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: My 5' tank

My 5' tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Here are some pics from my new 5' tank

Filtration: built in overflow (haven't bought enough bioballs); Eheim 1060 with split outputs for water circulation

Lights: 3x36W Osram Floura; 3x36W Osram 6000K with e-ballast (DIY and mounted on hood)

One of the output is still too powerful and you can see
    the tape grass swaying way too much.

I'll get better pipping parts tomorrow so as to make it more neat.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yup victor, way too strong.. use a rainbar and redirect the flow toward the glass to reduce the strong current..

wats that at the backgrd?

I'm not too sure if a rainbar will further increase the CO2 loss from the tank. I know it's too strong, am thinking of ways to reduce the flow at the left side

The background has to be grown...heheh...it's java moss between plastic mesh. I'm trying out to see if it works . If not, it'll supply nitrate to the tank to help the beneficial bacteria....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A potentially beautiful tank once the plants have grown in!
    How about adding some colour, maybe in the form of a red lotus? Or maybe a clump of Alternanthera reineckii somewhere?
    Keep us updated on the progress. Cheers!
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    can't see the pic
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Try going direct to the pic.

Vican, this is for the arowana? []

I don't know when it happened, but Sam Yick at Pet Safari has revamped the planted arowana tank and the huge display tank opposite their shop. Both tanks looking much better then when I last saw them a few months ago, especially the arowana's one. The arowana's droop eye has been cured, unless he replaced the fish.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

----------------
    On 8/27/2002 9:50:38 AM

A potentially beautiful tank once the plants have grown in!
    How about adding some colour, maybe in the form of a red lotus? Or maybe a clump of Alternanthera reineckii somewhere?
    Keep us updated on the progress. Cheers!
    ----------------

There is a red lotus rhizome in there somewhere from my previous tank. Just need for it to grow up. There are a few plants that needs growing up that were planted in the tank. Hopefully they'll start showing themselves in 2-3 weeks.

There aren't much tall plants because this tank is for my new chilli red arowana. I've sold off my 1st super red arowana cheap after it developed some swim posture problems.

Vinz, if you're looking for your aro soon, maybe I can help point you at a few shops to go aro hunting...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Vican, yes, please do.

Wow! [:0] A chilli red... wished I had budget for that
    . []

I split the output from my 2250 too, to a rainbar and a CO2 reactor. Much better now. May I ask why u installed the input pipe on the left side upside down?

Vinz,
    If you're looking for RTG, the best are DFI and Panda Gold. Now, it's a known fact that Panda gold are hybrids of pure RTG and x-back. The recent batches of RTGs all showed extremely nice fish IMO (just search the galleries at Arofanatics.

If you want pure strain RTG, DFI RTGs are also very nice.

Panda Golds are normally sold for $498 at C328. But ProPet Aquarium at Tampines St 21 and Lam Hong are selling them for $380 (prob can bargain to 360) or so.

For DFI RTGs, The places to get will be Tampines Blk 801 and Pet Provision at upper Changi road @$380 (abt $360 after discount)

QianHu's RTGs are sometimes good and sometimes not so good. I've seen very good pcs and some that are not outstanding at all. Have to depend on luck. Anyhow, heard recently that they are out of RTGs as well.

Why am I having the outlet tube upside down? The water level in my tank is below the outlet tube if I place it normally. Rather than letting the water drop from the pipe into the water surface, I thought of inverting the tube and getting the water out inside the tank.

Any ideas on how to get the outlet at mid level? The water is too strong for my reactor on the right side

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't quite get what you mean at mid level. You want to balance the pressure by putting both the outlets at the same level in the tank?

To keep your left outlet below water without sticking the whole thing in cut the straight portion between the two bends with a saw so that you get an inverted 'J' and an elbow fitting. Get what I mean? Then reattach them with a length of pipe and place it normally. Not only can you change the height, you can also pivot the outlet any direction. []

As for balancing water output, put a tap on the piping to your reactor. Since you have split outlets, you don't have to worry about stressing the filter pump.

It's OK. I managed to find a non eheim outlet pipe that allows the outlet to be well submerged. Also got myself a new reactor. The old one just couldn't hold up the water pressure from the 2280l/hr powerhead.

I'm not too sure if it's the filter or because I poured a lot of Nutrafin Cycle in the tank, today, the cloudiness has started clearing up