Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tiny Fishes for Nano Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, does anyone know the names of those micro fishes like the celestial pearl danio (not buying them, supporting anti-extinction cause) available in Singapore? Thinking of getting a couple for a nano tank. Saw some costing like $40 at C328 before!! May get them if feeling rich, but would like to do more research regarding those tiny tiny fishes. Please help. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    It really depends on your setup actually. What kind of setup are you planning for your tanks?

Freshwater? Brackish water? Planted? Fish only tank? Single species or community tank? What is the size of your tank? I presume it is 1 feet or smaller.

Fishes like the Boraras spp. or smaller Tetras are generally great for nano tanks. Some of the Boraras spp. include Boraras urophthalmoides, B. maculatus and B. brigittae. Tetras like Hyphessobrycon amandae and Axelrodia riesei are nice additions to the nano tank as well.

Do a search in the forum or Google for these. More information on the kind of setup you planned for would enable the forummers to provide better advice.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm planning a small cube tank, about 7 inches in all dimensions, i've put in some jade sand bought from C328, a piece of wood with some slow growing moss, a few bits and pieces of leftover hair grass all over the empty space. Not planning to put in any filter, although that might change because i've got a spare, and no C02, maybe just some flourish excel once in awhile. I've put some pellets in already, some excel, some ferts from crappy brand and anti-algae solution from same brand. No fish inside, but already crawling with planaria and a tiny snail bout 2mm big? Planning to leave it alone for maybe a week or 2 before putting some fishes bout 1cm big. Maybe about 3-4 to eat mosquito larvae. Yeah hope it works, any advice about this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Quixotic; 25th Apr 2007 at 12:23. Reason: Corrected SMS language and spelling

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow all those fish that you mentioned look amazing! Especially the B. brigittae!. Yeah i might settle for those. Any idea wat kind of price range they're in? B. uropthalmoides look good too. Googled for B. maculatus but only came up with toads though. Thanks for your help Quixotic!
    Last edited by Quixotic; 25th Apr 2007 at 12:24. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    At 7 inches in dimension, that is a nano cube alright. I would have preferred a larger tank as they generally do better in larger numbers, but it isn't a problem.

But since you are not planning on a filter (I don't know one that fits that size anyway), it should be as lightly stocked as possible (probably no more than 3 of them) and preferably with more plants.

Off the top of my head, you can consider Boraras, Microrasboras (e.g. M. nana, M. gatesi, M. kubotai) or Sundadanio axelrodi as they max between 2 to 4 cm.

B. maculatus,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ight=maculatus

M. nana, M. gatesi
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=18432

Sundadanio axelrodi
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=27013

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ah ok so that's a B. Mac. I should have searched for Borara instead of just B. hahaha silly me. Anyway thanks for all the great information man! Really appreciate it. Just wat I had in mind. A heavily planted tank with a couple of beautiful fishes. A pity the celestial pearl danios are endangered. I would have loved to get them instead. Know of any breeders who are willing to sell some?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I got 20 exclamation points in a 2.5 gallon tank and they are gorgeous.

http://www.pbase.com/ebn/exclamation_point

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They are known as Boraras urophthalmoides.
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Wackytpt - you are right !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Are there 2 types of urops? I noticed there are one type with orange strip and another with yellowish strip. And the yellowish strip is bigger sized.
    Cheers,
    Joe

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Are you talking about Boraras Merah?
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No I am not... if you refer to the link provided by Youjin (http://www.pbase.com/ebn/exclamation_point) there is also 2 pictures showing different colouration of the strips. Pardon for linking to the pictures, I just wanted to illustrate this.

I also have these 2 types in my tank and I do not think it's due to the colouration of the photos.

Cheers,
    Joe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Possibly geographical morphs. There are supposedly some differences in the different geographical populations.

I have some that are exactly like the pictures above in my tank, one of them look very much like the first one. The body shape don't look quite the same as the second one as well.

Initially, I was wondering if this is a B. brigittae, but the exclamation dot is too distinct not to be B. urophthalmoides.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by baranne View Post
    No I am not... if you refer to the link provided by Youjin (http://www.pbase.com/ebn/exclamation_point) there is also 2 pictures showing different colouration of the strips. Pardon for linking to the pictures, I just wanted to illustrate this.

I also have these 2 types in my tank and I do not think it's due to the colouration of the photos.
    hi.. i do have them recently and they are called mosquito boraras..
    Last edited by Quixotic; 4th May 2007 at 00:08. Reason: Remove unnecessary quotes

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Mosquito boraras are generally referring to B. brigittae and exclamation point boraras are referring to B. urophthalmoides.

Some websites and LFS do not know necessarily know how to differentiate them, so some confused B. urophthalmoides with B. brigittae and labelled them as mosquito boraras.

If the exclamation dot on the caudal fin of fish is very pronounced, it should really be B. urophthalmoides.

Best to avoid common names and use scientific names instead.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Try the 1cm Danionella Translucida?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sweet. thanks man

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One of those Indostomus crocodilus might be interesting as well.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaihulud View Post
    One of those Indostomus crocodilus might be interesting as well.
    Nice fish! Where are they available at?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Indostomus sp. come in irregular shipments, not often found. Start a new thread in Aquatalk if need to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast