Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Observations on Elatiane triandra (APP)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Observations on Elatiane triandra (APP)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    It appears that Elataine triandra is a poor competitor in a N limited tank. My ET used to grow like wild fire... I had to trim weekly. At some point, they started receding for no apparent reason. Coincidentally, that was just after I removed a large drift wood that I figured was decomposing too fast and causing high nitrates in my tank. Massive algae blooms also started receding so I figured my nitrates were dropping, but did not confirm with test kit.

The ET receded to three 10 cents sized patches (if you could call them patches), then started reviving again. Shortly, the same algae made an minor appearance again. Areas where the algae thrived, the reviving ET again receded. Where the algae were absent, the ET grew healthy looking but slow. Coincidentally, this was the time I increase the bio-load by about 30%. My nitrates are still below the 0.5ppm lower limit of my test kit, but I'm assuming that the extra bio-load is adding enough N into the system for the algae and the APP to make a minor comeback.

Recently, I started adding KNO3 to raise my nitrates. The ET has shown a slight improvement in growth rate, although my nitrates are still un-measurable.

My conclusion: ET competes poorly for N and does badly in N-limited tanks.

Other notes/thots:
    - ET is growing flat under a fairly shaded area.
    - ET grew the best near the drift wood.
    - The algae (green short hairy tufts) won in the bright areas, while the ET won in the shaded area.
    - Another patch of ET reviving near algae patch. Growing amongst S. subulata.
    - Slow growth due to small but available amounts of N or due to less light?

Just my observation. Anyone with similar or counter experiences? Also be great if ppl could share similar experiences with other plants.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    observations:

in my 4ft tank, elatine directly under the mh turned yellow and died after an initial growth spurt. those at the shaded areas grew fairly well with no algae and anything. substrate is just sand with jbj, but its unlikely the elatine roots can reach the jbj base fert

in my 2ft tank, elatine grows directly under the florescent light . it grows fairly densely, beside being patchy looking from the 100+malayan shrimp, its a nice bright green. substrate is seachem fluorite no base fert.

possiblity is : elatine grows under strong diffuse light. direct mh might be increasing the temp or burning the leaves somehow.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmmm... seem to recall reading a discussion in other forums regarding bright lights and certain plants. It seems if the nutrient levels don't match the higher amount of light they get, they die. I.e. high light + low nutrients = death.

loupgarou, do you know your nitrate levels?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am seeing a cycle of about 3 months. Not relating to any nutrient problem. Every 3 months, the ET will start dying off. I have to cut some good cuttings and replant while throwing the rest out.

I am suspecting that this plant may not be full aquatic. I have done some search on the internet. It seemed to be a marsh plant.

Marsh plants usually goes through some submergent and emergent cycle.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have 14 discus in the tank, waht do you think my nitrate levels are.. rofl....(50 to 100)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all, i just got my ET for the very first time ... few days only ... my tank houses 4 altums, 2 plecos, 2 apistoes and few rummynose ... considered low N level? Will take note of you pples' observations and see anything similiar things happen... hope that it will cover entire foreground though[:]

oh btw, why is it called APP?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In addition to bio-load, other factors that affect your N are amount of feeding and how effective your plants are at absorbing N from the water. Given that your 2 other plants are rosette, I think their absortion of nutrients from the water will be comparatively less then stemmed plants.

STILL... no better way to tell then to use a nitrate test kit.

APP = Ah-Pek Plant. With reference to the Ah-Pek at the plant farm in lor halus.