Country
    Singapore

Questions about Threadfin Rainbowfish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a small group of threadfin rainbowfish, Iriatherina werneri for my mature 2ft planted setup. This setup consists mainly of a large clump of Java moss and a stand of Echinodorus paniculatus. There are no other fish in there, except for 3 platys, as well as some yamato shrimp and cherry shrimp. I'm looking for a small group of colourful shoaling fish, and I'm hoping that threadfins will fit the bill. I'm thinking of getting a group of 6-8 with equal number of males and females.

Will this tank be big enough? Are they sensitive to temperature (my tank has no tempertaure control, just room temp)? Are they sensitive to changes in pH, kH or water quality? I've heard that they need small food, what kind of food is recommended?

Many thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Aside from your platy, the shrimps need a lowe pH, Rainbow fish in general need above pH 7. A 2 feet tank is sufficient for them. Generally, they should be able to survive in a slightly low pH level tank without any difficulty.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have Rainbowfish in my ADA soil tank, no problem. pH less than 6.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Check out this website, which I consider one of the most definitive for rainbowfish resources.
    http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/

Accordingly, pH of 5.2 to 7.5 is found in their natural habitats. So anything within or slightly out of range would be okay.
    http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Werneri.htm

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    Great fish. I have about 20 fry which I can't wait to they grow.

They are not much of a shoaling fish though.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    That's great, do share with us the spawning experience and setup. I have read somewhere that they are difficult to spawn, so any information would really be great for those who are interested.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    That's great, do share with us the spawning experience and setup. I have read somewhere that they are difficult to spawn, so any information would really be great for those who are interested.
    Sorry to disappoint everyone. They didn't spawn for me. I was given a mop with eggs from a plantgrower here in Australia.

Apparently he collected them somewhere in the state he lives. They breed in his ponds. I had about 35 fry hatch about 4 weeks ago. Around 25 have survived and are growing quickly.