Country
    Singapore

Fissidens Graveyard - BBA attack

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Bros/Sis,

I am at the sad to share that i have two tanks but they are heaven and earth apart. The top is fissidens heaven while the bottom is the hell. Both tanks are two feet, same number of co2 supplied, same filtration, same fan type and the same amount of fert (5ml micronutrients and unmeasured pnk-very little). The only different is the light type. The top is solite two HO prabolic while the bottom is two HO lite bought from NA. Pictures will tell a thousand word i guess. I've read of the solutions that i can get from pharmacy to kill the bba. What do i ask for if i would like to buy them? Bros/Sis, really need your advice. A friend of mine said, just redo and throw everything...but i wont want to give up without fight. After all the effort - time and money... i would want it to be just like my top tank. Help me.. Thank you all for reading.

Regards,
    Jumali
    Last edited by uorme99; 18th Jun 2007 at 22:16.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mali, obviously is the lighting that causes the problem. If i were you, i will tear the tank and start afresh again..
    Last edited by StanChung; 1st May 2007 at 06:59.

The passion for aquascaping and apistogramma never fade away

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi mali,
    Just go to the phamarcy and ask for Hydrogen Peroxide(H2O2) 3% solution. It is meant for general antiseptic(first aid) purpose. Just dose by 2ml/gallon as what Calvin(the rocks) proclaimed. You can use syringe and inject directly over the infested area.

Overwise, you can use critters like yamato shrimps and SAE to help get rid of the BBA too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Toss the infected moss and pick on the remaining good ones and return to the tank. Work on the CO2 and you shouldn't have issues with BBA. The hobby is to grow the plants and not to grow algae and kill them.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    There's another possibilty, that is the bio load . You are having angels in the problematic tank.
    Steve Chua @ Reservoir

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you can try using excel, though it may be too expensive for the whole tank treatment. You can buy H2O2 from guadian or watson, it will be on the self together with all the antiseptic and band aid are.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    excel worked for me in the past but you have to keep dosing. sometimes, the problem comes back...

personally the best thing that worked for mi is a total change in pH for two weeks. BBA seems to attack when the pH is acidic, I added a bag of coral chips to the filter media and the BBA was gone pretty fast. Thereafter I removed the coral chips and added two cigar fishes. Threw away the dead mosses and java fern and was BBA free ever since.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Jumali,
    You have an interesting case. I have some thoughts for you to consider.

I think you have a planted tank on top and a fish tank below. [not j/k]

If you think like a fishkeeper and BBA will always be your best friend.
    I used to think like one. geez.
    Don't mean to be smug but BBA is a thing of the past for me. Getting a great CO2 diffusor and picked up some tips along the way. Here are some of them.

These are some of the pitfalls you should avoid.

Feeding 3 times a day, service canister every 6 months one year, feed all sorts of nutritious food, overload amount of fish,

Some things that might help.
    1.Clean the canister filter regularly, every two months. Using tank water or dechlorinated water. Leave it a little dirty, need the good bacteria in there.

2.Reduce your bioload.

3.Take care in what you feed. Some food promotes algae like crazy.

4.Feed once or twice a day. There's lots of small living creatures in your tank that the fish can eat.

Other than that, do what you're already doing for your top tank. I don't think the lighting is the problem.
    I have 450W over 450 liters of water switched on 10hours a day and there's a little GSA and BBA's only happens on the really dead nana leaves. SNIP!
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscube View Post
    There's another possibilty, that is the bio load . You are having angels in the problematic tank.
    I first thoughts as well. 2nd tank bio too high.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank to all i'll try the H202 solutions later on. hope they would perish.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by uorme99 View Post
    Thank to all i'll try the H202 solutions later on. hope they would perish.

Killing them is one thing...
    You still have to work out/correct the necessary parameters..etc..
    else they will just keep coming back
    It's simple...but no one said it will be easy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    Some things that might help.
    1.Clean the canister filter regularly, every two months. Using tank water or dechlorinated water. Leave it a little dirty, need the good bacteria in there.
    cleaning the filter regularly help? I clean my filter once a year
    Steve Chua @ Reservoir

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Steve,
    Yes you can, if your plant filtration is adequate for the fauna population + your feeding schedule/amount.

I have 300 tiny fishes in a 270 liter tank. So I service the filter regularly and add the good microbes in a ball/bottle.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Name of the game is current and good mixing. A clean filter has better flow rates than that of a clogged one.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all,

Updates on my fissidens: I've took out the fissidens, two meshes so far. place it in a tray and added the H202. saw it bubbled. leave it for two days before placing them back into main tank (after rinsing it with tap water). The picture attach shows the outcome. The one on the back right is which i've placed back in yesterday. The fissidens look surviving and the bba had changed color but they are still attached there. The one infront (front right), is the newly placed right after treatment. I have added excel everyday into the main tank and increase the outflow from my cannister. i have some important questions for all bros/sis, need ur advices.

1) I've been thinking of giving up my angels (but i like them...) and in their place i would add SAE, Flag fish and yamatos. because i find that the algeas might be dead but someone need to take them out totally from the fissidens. Is this idea rational?

2) would i succeed in this war againts the bba? (or... should i just give up?)

3) what can i do to maintain my tank in future so as not to encounter this problem again? what is my mistake?

Thank you all and have a great weekend.
    Last edited by uorme99; 18th Jun 2007 at 22:16.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    can UV LIGHTdo the killing of BBA?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    UV only effective against thing that will enter within the killing range (about an inch from source)... So only floating stuff (Green Water, bacteria (good and bad), etc) will enter the UV chamber and get zapped.

H2O2? Algae and Plant are much alike, All ARE PLANTS right (maybe BGA not, AlgaeBacteria Hybrid)? how come it only affect the Algae and not the plant? won't the plants get "poisoned" by H2O2 "at least slightly"?

What about the fishes, Shrimp? with unstable H2O2 breaking down to 2H2O + O2 will they they get "Oxygen poisoning" aka hyperoxia?

Baby Steel!