Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Billy

Budget is not a concern...and quality is important as well...

By the way, i read about 6T for Nikon.. has anyone used them? seen some pics.. and it seems really good... now confused again...
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In that case no need to think liao. Go for the Nikon !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I found out what 6T is... it's a Nikon close up filter....

Green Baron, still considering... not sure that focal length is good for insects photography... need to go test the sigma 70-300mm Macro .. heard it's a darn good lens for macro
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi8888 View Post
    I found out what 6T is... it's a Nikon close up filter....

Green Baron, still considering... not sure that focal length is good for insects photography... need to go test the sigma 70-300mm Macro .. heard it's a darn good lens for macro
    I don't think tele-lenses will ever beat a prime, else Mr Simon won't upgrade to Tamron 180mm
    Last edited by Goondoo; 10th May 2007 at 03:37.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the Sigma 70-300 is only 1:2 macro, i.e. half of life size. the rest of the prime macros are 1:1. With these you would hardly need any more close-up filters.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I have considered the sigma 70-300 f4.5-5.6 years ago and I bought the nikkor 80-200AF-D. ED.[not a macro lens] I never use auto exposure since i the bg varies a lot so zooming mean compensating and this slows the moment.

Why? Variable aperture. Zoom in and it closes about a stop. Since I use manual flash power settings, this is a B to compensate everytime.
    Dark thru the lens-can't see very well because max aperture is only 4.5-5.6. This lesson I learnt when i bought a 70-210 sigma f4-5.6.
    BTW, i have great eyesight, I can[or atleast used to be able] read slanted signboards 30ft away that guys younger than me can't.

Manual focus becomes a @#$%. unless you're a cat or owl.
    AF hunts more if TTL[thru the lens] is dark.

IMHO, you only have two horse race. 105VR since cost is not a problem and the Tamron 90mm DI.[this one according to user reviews is hit and miss, some times you can get duds, some luck is needed.]

When buying lenses, bring a torchlight-mag-light to shine thru the lens for artifacts[dust etc]. Make sure you it's spotless. If the retailer gives you lip, just go to another store, after all this is not a $2 purchase.

Nikon is wanting in the pro area. If you have a D80, you are in the mid to upper range which is good because this area is not the area where you make a living out[still can depending on application] of but still want solid pictures to be proud of.

I ordered my SU800. Very happy.

Good luck Wasabi, all the sifu's have spoken, in the end, like what Baron says, it's you that will make or break the pictures.
    Take it one step at a time. you buy the best now but years later a new one comes along and... and piangz! [whatever that means]

Read this very informative web. good discussion on Nikon VS Canon. http://www.camerahobby.com/index.htm

It's about how we niggle on the quality for naught. It's so subjective. eg bokeh. Here's a good site to compare bokeh for some Nikon lenses. Just use what you like as Ken Rockwell sayshere http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/bokeh-comparison.htm
    My fav is the 80-200mm AF-S . The next is the 80-400mm VR. Then again this changes as the subjects get closer and the DOF [depth of field] changes.

In the end, if you don't go out and take pictures, all that equipment is wasted and just sits there depreciating. Get yourself a dry box. You will thank me later. I have 3 lenses to be serviced and it costs the amount for the dry box!
    It's for the long term, in case you need to upgrade later your lenses/camera will not be fungused and can fetch a good price.
    Last edited by StanChung; 10th May 2007 at 06:07. Reason: spelling
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Agree with the rest. Forget the zoom. The Tamron 180 is a very good lens but it is also bigger and heavier. You can get 1:1 with er either 100 or 180. 180 gives you longer working distance but you lose 1 or 2 stops because you need higher speed to handhold it. With the VR you gain another 2 stops.

Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    IMy fav is the 80-200mm AF-S . The next is the 80-400mm VR. Then again this changes as the subjects get closer and the DOF [depth of field] changes.
    Sorry for the OT .. I am also considering a long lens for shooting butterflies which are not within the reach of 180mm lens. I had the opportunity to use the 80-400VR recently and am very impressed with the quality of the image and the VR. I managed to get a few shots of a few rare butterflies which otherwise would only be a visual image. Main draw backs are it is not IF and you need to manually switch between Auto and manual focus. Of couse it also costs a bomb ! AFS-70-300 VR seems perfect in theory and more afforable but I assume the IQ will not be as good .
    Last edited by benny; 15th May 2007 at 00:30.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    the Sigma 70-300 is only 1:2 macro, i.e. half of life size. the rest of the prime macros are 1:1. With these you would hardly need any more close-up filters.
    CHoy

Dun really understand.. sorry i am quite new at this...

which is better? 1:1 or 1:2?

Unless I am wrong, `1:2 means twice the size that you see....

when you mentioned "with these", are you referring to sigma or prime lenses?
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Also, just bought the SB800 today.. 2 more lenses to go...

85mm 1.4 and
    a macro lens which after reading all the sifus, still cant make up my mind...

I went again to Cathay to try the 105VR and 70-300 Sigma... seems like quality of the 105mm is still the best...just that the working distance bothers me like hell...

the rest of Nikon enses that stan mentioned seemed not to be for Macro rite? there are more zoom lenses.. can i do close-ups of insects with that?
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    CHoy

Dun really understand.. sorry i am quite new at this...

which is better? 1:1 or 1:2?

Unless I am wrong, `1:2 means twice the size that you see....

when you mentioned "with these", are you referring to sigma or prime lenses?
    hey you have to read more carefully. "the Sigma 70-300 is only 1:2 macro, i.e. half of life size." this is how it is marked on the lenses, 1:1 means life size, 1:2 means half life size, 1:4 means a quarter, etc etc.

you cannot compare a zoom "macro" with a real macro prime. first of all the zoom only gives you half the magnification of that 105mm VR macro. if you are shooting anything smaller than 2cm, you will want a 1:1 true macro lens. second, a macro lens are designed to eliminate distortions at such extreme focusing distances. this is why they are bigger and cost more than the run of the mill prime and zoom "macros".

working distance isn't really a problem, its a fact of life you will just have to deal with in your set up and techniques.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hwchoy

I did read carefully, but i guessed my friend just told me the other way round...

Thanks for the advice though.. really appreciate it..
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    that is why prime lens cost more

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hwchoy

I did read carefully, but i guessed my friend just told me the other way round...

Thanks for the advice though.. really appreciate it..
    I'm sorry I didn't mean it to sound quite so harsh. it could well be convention though, but what I have described is how the lens makers mark them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    85mm 1.4 and
    a macro lens which after reading all the sifus, still cant make up my mind...

I went again to Cathay to try the 105VR and 70-300 Sigma... seems like quality of the 105mm is still the best...just that the working distance bothers me like hell...
    These days I love to ask this question.
    Why you want to buy the 85mm for?

What kind of working distance you are looking for? Maximum 1:1 macro lens is 180mm. You can consider that if you are thinking that you will be shooting jittery bugs. But then, you must consider the weight factor as that lens is not light.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how much is that Nikkor 85/1.4? Canon only have 85/1.8 and 85/1.2, the former is not quite ultra fast enough for my fantasy, and the latter too insanely expensive.

Vince, the 85/1.4 is a great portrait lens. but works better on a full frame camera in terms of perspective.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yah, that lens is famous for portrait. But just want to know if he is buying that specific lens because he has a need or just because people say it is so.

Really don't want to see friends throwing money into this deep pit for nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    that's true, especially when we can't offer to buy the white elephants off him at a friendly discount.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The lens is white meh? Thought only Canon is white?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Vincent,
    Some Nikon's are dressed like the enemy now.

Wasabi, Zoom macros are mostly pseudo macro. 1:3 also can call themselves macro! Ruined the term 'macro' IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by valice View Post
    Yah, that lens is famous for portrait. But just want to know if he is buying that specific lens because he has a need or just because people say it is so.

Really don't want to see friends throwing money into this deep pit for nothing.
    Glamour mah! I also have fantasy of having this lens to get only the eyes sharp. Nose, mouth all outfo [jargon for 'out of focus'].

For purist-pay more for lens and no need to learn photoshop and can act as smug proud owner of glamour lens with stunning bokeh[soft quality defocussed bg or fg ].

For advertising- to get good bokeh can photoshop with lens defocus to a certain extent . Not as good as the real thing though but more control if the client says bg too distracting...bla bla bla.
    Last edited by benny; 15th May 2007 at 00:56.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    how much is that Nikkor 85/1.4? .........
    this "cream machine" cost about 1.6k.
    thomas liew

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast