Country
    Singapore

Macro Lens for Nikon

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all

Just bought my first DSLR. bought the D80 with 18-200mm VR.

Intend to buy more lenses and flashes.

Can someone recommend the above for fish photography?
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the Nikkor 105mm micro is good.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hwchoy

Are you referring to the 105mm VR?
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    or else the tamron 90 will be an excellent choice, good lenses with a good price

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi8888 View Post
    hwchoy

you cant use the VR while shooting macro. So if you are not shooting portraits or such, the VR serve you no purpose.
    If you buying new lenses, you won't have much choice. There are no more non-VR 105mm in the market I think.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hwchoy

there is no point using VR at macro range because the biggest problem is lighting, and particularly for fish VR will not rescue you from a moving subject.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I think the Tamron 90 is a good alternative that outperforms the Nikon 105VR from a few lens tests on the net.
    The only thing is it's plasticky and may not take a fall.

For studio-like purposes it does the job well with very sharp images.
    What Billy says is true regarding VR.
    If you're taking a stroll on the street market or in a jungle with lots of interesting close ups to be had, it will serve you well but otherwise it has to be turned off when camera is mounted on a tripod.

Oh forgot to welcome to the DSLR, Nikon club!!! AQ is pro Canon I believe. lol. [j/k]
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you can get a second hand non-VR 105mm micro.
    you probably want a separate walkabout zoom for street photography purpose. 105mm prime is rather long for most purposes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    AQ is not pro Nikon Canon. We have loads of Nikon users here too. I for one, would love to have a Nikon D2Xs and D2Hs with 105 VR macro and the twin macro flash amongst other things. But.....resources are limited...

However, I will agree that the Canon users in AQ are more friendly and more willing to share their photographic resources. No trouble to try before you buy, which is the best way to ascertain your choices.

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 3rd May 2007 at 08:51.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    most important is to use the same gear as benny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    LOL... Benny, if i can I will also get Canon 5D or MKII. lol. Your logic I also can use. kekeke.

Agree with Choy to buy same as Benny since he very generous with lending of his gear. kekeke.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny
    AQ is not pro Nikon.
    I agree!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I will just settle for 30D. Hee... *Hide from Benny's stare*
    Anyone wants a 2nd 350D? Hahaha...

Congrats on your buy again Jeff. If you are short on budget, go with the Tamron 90mm ask for Nikon mount. No joke. That is one hell of a gem. If it is not for the non-IF, I would have kept it. There is also the Tokina. Heavy like siao.

Pop by John or MS or Cathay and ask to try the lens and see which you like better. Then go home and think then make the decision. Although that can be difficult. =)
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    go to MS, look for florence and tell her Simon recommended you. If she can't remember just tell her into butterfly & aquatic plants, if that doesn't jog her memory, just add got into a car accident photographying butterflies, that she will remember

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Here's what photodo says for the AF-SP version [what I'm using]
    http://www.photodo.com/product_503_p2.html
    http://www.photodo.com/product_503_p4.html

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nikon lenses

Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    I think the Tamron 90 is a good alternative that outperforms the Nikon 105VR from a few lens tests on the net.
    The only thing is it's plasticky and may not take a fall.

For studio-like purposes it does the job well with very sharp images.
    What Billy says is true regarding VR.
    If you're taking a stroll on the street market or in a jungle with lots of interesting close ups to be had, it will serve you well but otherwise it has to be turned off when camera is mounted on a tripod.

Oh forgot to welcome to the DSLR, Nikon club!!! AQ is pro Canon I believe. lol. [j/k]
    Stan

OK.. will consider Tamron... thought i wanted to stick to Nikon all the way...

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    there is no point using VR at macro range because the biggest problem is lighting, and particularly for fish VR will not rescue you from a moving subject.
    hwchoy... this is new to me... as you may have already guessed, i am new and dumb to photograpy..... going for class this Sunday.... Stanley photocentre or something... I know lighting is a big deal in fish photography... any suggestions for a good flash to use?

Quote Originally Posted by valice View Post
    I will just settle for 30D. Hee... *Hide from Benny's stare*
    Anyone wants a 2nd 350D? Hahaha...

Congrats on your buy again Jeff. If you are short on budget, go with the Tamron 90mm ask for Nikon mount. No joke. That is one hell of a gem. If it is not for the non-IF, I would have kept it. There is also the Tokina. Heavy like siao.

Pop by John or MS or Cathay and ask to try the lens and see which you like better. Then go home and think then make the decision. Although that can be difficult. =)
    Vincent, if not short of budget, what lenses would you recommend? What is "non-IF"??? dun like that leh.. i new to this... dont use acronyms leh....

so net net.... none of you would recommend 105mm VR as a macro lens... most of you are recommending a Tamron 90mm...

1. If I have to make a choice between buying a macro lens and a flash... which one should i go for? I am using a 18-200mm VR now...that's the only Nikkor lens that I have...

2. I really like close ups.. I see a lot of close up pics like fish eyes, spiders etc.. what kind of lenses in the Nikon range that will produce those pics?
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    either the SB600 or SB800 depending on what you can afford. flash is of course bigger the better, you never know when you need the extra reach.

fish photography can only learn from Benny's tuition centre

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Come to think about it.... there is something I do not understand...

I quote this from Nikon

"The incorporation of Nikon VR technology in a Micro-Nikkor lens expands versatility by, for the first time, providing the sharpness benefits of VR and improving hand-held close-up photography"

Since VR helps handshake, wont this be good for fish photography?
    I understand that if a tripod is used, then VR is rendered useless.. but I thought fish photography need not use tripod... and with VR capabilities.. even more dont have to use tripod rite?
    Last edited by benny; 15th May 2007 at 01:08.
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I quote this from Nikon

"The incorporation of Nikon VR technology in a Micro-Nikkor lens expands versatility by, for the first time, providing the sharpness benefits of VR and improving hand-held close-up photography"

I understand that if a tripod is used, then VR is rendered useless.. but I thought fish photography need not use tripod... and with VR capabilities.. even more dont have to use tripod rite?

particularly for fish macro photography (remember to tell people how small the fish you are trying to photograph, else they will laugh and tell you to use a tripod) you need to light the subject, and when you do that there is no need for VR as you will be shooting at x-sync speed which is probably 1/200 or 1/250s.
    Last edited by benny; 15th May 2007 at 01:08.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    go to MS, look for florence and tell her Simon recommended you. If she can't remember just tell her into butterfly & aquatic plants, if that doesn't jog her memory, just add got into a car accident photographying butterflies, that she will remember
    she confirm will remember you. When I go there last time, she still asks about you.

Vincent, if not short of budget, what lenses would you recommend? What is "non-IF"??? dun like that leh.. i new to this... dont use acronyms leh....
    IF stands for Internal Focusing. Meaning that the lens doesn't extend when it change focusing. A Tamron 90mm will extend when you turn the focusing ring, while a Canon 100mm or 60mm doesn't. I am not sure whether a Nikkor 105mm does or not.

I quote this from Nikon

That is assuming that light is not an issue for you. VR gives you an advantage of about 3-stops, you can hand-hold the lens at a lower shutter speed without fear of blurness due to hand-shake. However, lower shutter speed doesn't freeze the subject. And when we shoot fish, we want the fastest shutter speed possible, so at say 1/200sec shutter speed, hand-shake blurness is not an issue. So VR is useless.

Hope I cleared abit of your doubt.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ahhhhh!!!!!!!! cant wait to go class this Sunday....

I just read something about close-up filters.. what about Nikon 50mm f/1.4 with close up filter?
    Last edited by benny; 15th May 2007 at 01:09.
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast