Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Can I keep killifishes and Badis badis together?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Can I keep killifishes and Badis badis together?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi bros and sis...

as i am now having a shrimp tank.. and quite a number has been dying.. i have decided to stop keeping shrimps if all of my crs (grade C) and cherry die...

i am thinking of keeping killifishes and badis badis together in my 1ft cube tank.. can house abt how many? they will not fight with each other hor?

where can i find them? in which LFS?
    Last edited by Quixotic; 1st May 2007 at 23:25.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Badis badis or Dario dario? The ones that are red and commonly referred to as Badis are in actual fact most possibly D. dario. B. badis is blueish in colour.

See this thread on D. dario, http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=22944

Here are some pictures of B. badis, http://www.aquanovel.com/badis_badis.htm

D. dario max at 1.5 cm SL (standard length) while B. badis max at 8 cm TL (total length).

D. dario will mostly take live and frozen food only, altough I do not have much success with dry food for B. badis as well. D. dario are "slow" fishes, so care should be taken during feeding as there are possibilities they might get outcompeted for food.

D. dario are territorial, but not overly aggressive. B. badis are more aggresive with each other. So you will need to provide plent of hiding places for them.

If you were to keep B. badis in a 1 feet tank, I would suggest only a pair (male/female) or a single male. For D. dario, no more than perhaps 4 of them.

I am not sure about killiefishes as tank mates, but I would be wary when housing D. dario with fast fishes.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually i dun don't mind having the D. dario cause i like the pics u you posted
    but i was wondering if i can keep both killifish and D.dario and B. badis together.. with other fishes..
    Last edited by Quixotic; 2nd May 2007 at 17:28. Reason: Kindly avoid SMS lingo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    If you have READ the thread I posted on D. dario, not just oogle at the pictures, you will see why I don't really recommend them with larger or fast fishes.

I am not too worried about B. badis. They are large enough to defend themselves.

I would think you need to narrow down on what species of killiefishes you are looking at because they come in all shapes, sizes and temperaments.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the edit.. i don't really know the species of killiefishes.. maybe i'll just keep B. badis and D. dario together.. can they?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    If you have READ the thread I posted on D. dario, not just oogle at the pictures, you will see why I don't really recommend them with larger or fast fishes.
    Uhm, didn't I just answered the question?

They may possibly be kept together, but I personally don't recommend it because for one, D. dario may be outcompeted by larger (e.g. B. badis) or fast fishes for food.

Also, B. badis are generally aggressive towards their own kind, and D. dario is somewhat similar. I don't know if this may be a problem as I have never kept them together.

You can certainly try if you like to, but I personally don't like the trouble of rehousing this and that if things don't work out. In any case, I consider the first reason good enough to not keep them together.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for your advice..
    just a question, do both of them like to hide alot? they swims in surface water or bottom? are they shy fishes? thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    D. dario is shy, need lots of places for hiding. B. badis is quite visible, swimming at all levels, but sometimes hover near the surface (presumably waiting for food).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i dun don't acctually like fishes that hide alot.. i had once keep celestial pearl daino aka galaxy..
    once i went to see them, all would hide behind my drift wood.. it seems like i never keep any fishes in my tank.. i would acctually prefer fishes that swim all levels and wont like to hide alot..
    Last edited by Quixotic; 9th Jun 2007 at 12:26.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Scotland
    I would not keep any species of killie with other fish as they can be very hard drivers and may even kill any other tank mates . Why don`t you have a look on the web for a species to keep BUT not in a mixed tank
    I am a member of the AKA and BKA and have kept killies for 30 years

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi stoker!

Welcome to AQ! Do drop by our member's introduction sub form and tell us a bit more about yourself!

By the way, there is also a very well established killies.com forum for killifish hobbyist. A lot of our members are there as well.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dario dario will do okay in a tank with a shoal of the lampeye killies, or the clown killie. I would not recommend the other species.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 15th Jun 2007 at 07:49.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Scotland
    A 1 ft cube if full only holds 6.25 galls of water, with a shoal of any species I feel that there will be a problem of overcrowding. Remember that the oxygen content will also be lower with a elevated temperature, which to a certain extent will be required for the Dario dario and a lower temp for the killies. Why overcrowd the tank with all the problems that this brings. The so called Clown killi is at the best of times shall we say inclined to assume the upside down floating position if conditions are not correct and if memory serves the lampeyes are mostly a cooler water species.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 15th Jun 2007 at 07:51.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi All,

Sorry for interrupting, I would like to seek advice for a 9"x6"x7" inch tank and preferably keep fish that eats non live food i.e. pellets, flakes, etc (no frozen, live feeds).

Will I be able to do okay with Dario dario or clown killies, and how many can fit in?
    Last edited by Quixotic; 27th Jun 2008 at 16:29. Reason: Merge and formatting

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    The answers about food are all in these threads.

Clown killie, Pseudepiplatys annulatus: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ighlight=clown

Dario dario, http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ighlight=dario

As for the tank of that size, you have other fishes in there, right? How many and what is in there?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Quixotic,

I'm thinking of relocating all my existing galaxy, so the tiny tank will be left with java moss carpet and weeping moss on larva rock and 4 cherry shrimps. Thanks for the links, looks like a pair of clown killies would be a better chance of taking pellets and flakes?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    No problem if the galaxy rasboras are rehoused. P. annulatus will take flakes/pellets, but of course occasional feeding of live food would be good.

You can probably stretch to either a trio (1 male/2 female) or 2 pairs of P. annulatus. However, they are jumpers, so you need floating plants or a tank cover.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quixotic,
    Thanks for the info.

Cheers!