Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: liverock..

liverock..

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey folks,

I was just wondering if there was a certain way to pick out the best liverock?? I'm using fiji and it all pretty much looks the same to me.. So far I've been choosing rocks for things like nice coralline algae growth, or nifty little "critter hidey holes".. Are there any other actual "specific" reasons to choose a particular piece of liverock over another??

Thanks for any help..
    I''m going crazy, but that''s okay.. They know me there..

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if u using it for base, i.e., those underneath and for stacking purposes, i recommend that u dun get those full or coralline algae.. go for those that are dull and plain.. it should be cheaper.. those top quality LR are usually very ex.. if possible, get a quarantine tank to mature the rocks after u purchase it.. so that u can look out for unwanted 'freebies' such as piston shrimps, mantis shrimps, crabs etc.. that comes with it..

as for the shape.. have a rough idea of how u want to setup your reef.. then choose those pieces..[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    When I choose LR I tend to go for arches and plates. I'll get a few massive pieces with lotsa holes for base rock. Coralline algae is not important since in a well managed tank it will grow abundantly. I've got goniopora and zoanthids from LR. Of course lotsa crabs too, but they are all dead.Also, remember that corals may come with a bit of rock too and that they need space to grow, so plan ahead.