Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: What contributes to plants to bubbles?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What contributes to plants to bubbles?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Example if I have CO2 setup (DIY) and sufficient lights and lots of fish, will plants like Riccia, Xmoss etc still bubbles?

Coz with lots of fish, Oxygen intake maybe more than what plants may produce, thus the level of oxygen in the water is not concentrated enuf for oxygen bubbles to form. Am I right with this theory?

I have a 2ft planted tank with lots of fish in it with the following : -
    .. at least 40-50 fish (mainly guppies, tetra and corys)
    .. Riccia and Xmoss, Amazon Sword plants
    .. DIY CO2
    .. approx 3watt/gallen

Thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes - I heard that plants bubble when there's excess O2 not used up by fish.
    I suppose in your setup, the plants would bubble since there's a lot of light.

So -- do you see any bubbling so far?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    hi ninjafly

My riccia is pearling with the following setup:

1.5ft
    diy co2
    36watt(2 watt per gal)

15 T.rosbosa
    2 L.cory
    2 otos
    2 SAE
    1 C.neon

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Most plants don't bubble like riccia. Riccia is by nature a floating plant (as far as I remember). Thats why when planted submerged it produces lots of bubbles (I think).

Most plants just accumulate some bubbles on the underside of the leaves it the photosynthesis rate is real high. Otherwise there is probably a nick in the plant where the bubbles will be streaming out.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    So -- do you see any bubbling so far?
    ----------------
    Well, I do see little bit of bubbling in my Riccia. Guess maybe the O2 concentration wasn't high with so much fish absorbing the O2.

Another guess was my Corydoras wriggling at my Riccia, thus causing all the produced bubbles to detach from the Riccia plants.

Other than that, my plants are growing just fine.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    JustJoin,

Guess if I were to have so little fish like you, my Riccia would have bubbles....

I think my Corys are destorying them. Since they like to wriggle around the place.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ninjafly,...

u mean i can add in more fishes in my 1.5ft. was thinking to get some more T.rasbosa.

Wouldn't it be overloaded?

anyway, my 2 cories like to wriggle at my pearling riccia too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    u mean i can add in more fishes in my 1.5ft. was thinking to get some more T.rasbosa.

Wouldn't it be overloaded?

anyway, my 2 cories like to wriggle at my pearling riccia too.
    ----------------
    Well, if just a few more should be alright. Anyway for me, I have 10x more corys then you. With the addition of other fish, I think that explains why my Riccia or other plants aren't pearling.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    don't worry, when there is enough lights the plants will bubble like no tomorrow, and I don't mean bubble collecting under the leaves, I mean bubble streams like beer. Other than riccia, other plants that bubbles readily are glosso, hair grass, blyxa, even tiger lotus…
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    I feel that light is a bigger factor then CO2.

For my 2ft setup, those areas which Riccia are not block by leaves of other plans, they bubble or pearl.

For those under the shade, does not have so much and big bubble but they are growing well.
    Just a Newbie ...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi

my oso a 2ft tank... with 72W of PL and a DIY C02.. any most of my plants able to see steam of air bubbles floating up after light ON for 1hr.. ricca got "peal" ontop..

btw.. I got some "sinking" ricca from Nature.. and to my suprise... these ricca dun float.. it actually sink to the bottom of my tank..
    []

FYI, my tank got very little fishes... but got abt 20 shrimps (yamoto+ghost)

ninafly,
    your guppies gave birth again???? heard the last time u gave away some baby fry

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Another thing to take note is to have a calm water surface.
    With CO2 constant, water surfcae that's calmer will have plants bubbling faster.

In this we can know that CO2 concentration is impt too.

Anyway, as long as the plants and fishes are healthy bubbles or not doesn't matter.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/30/2002 11:52:32 AM

Hi,

Example if I have CO2 setup (DIY) and sufficient lights and lots of fish, will plants like Riccia, Xmoss etc still bubbles?

Coz with lots of fish, Oxygen intake maybe more than what plants may produce, thus the level of oxygen in the water is not concentrated enuf for oxygen bubbles to form. Am I right with this theory?

I have a 2ft planted tank with lots of fish in it with the following : -
    .. at least 40-50 fish (mainly guppies, tetra and corys)
    .. Riccia and Xmoss, Amazon Sword plants
    .. DIY CO2
    .. approx 3watt/gallen

Thanks in advance

----------------
    oh boy i thought the important thing was the water chemistry... like the kh ph levels and the amt of liquid fert...
    not just the co2 o2 and the lights what?
    i have a 2 feet planted tank with half the tank area planted with riccia tied to tiles on the gravel... with glosso in the front, java moss and sagitaria in a corner...
    fm my experience... my BIG carpet of riccia does NOT pearl even though i have 72watts PL lights and a co2 canister running at 2 bubbles per sec with a co2 reactor... eheiem 2213...
    however the plants at the surface like the riccia that has foated up and the sagitaria leaves at the surface do start to bubble at NIGHT... its sadenning... *sigh*
    lights come on at abt 3pm and are off at around 0ne am... my lights are around 4-5 watts per gallon...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ryan, you are one of a kind
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/31/2002 7:28:40 PM

ryan, you are one of a kind
    ----------------
    yeah i figured...
    *sigh*
    maybe my cheepo stuff not doing mw any good...
    me only a student lah... with tight budget i can only afford cheap stuff...
    i want to try dennerle fertilizer but still its quite ex... is it true that their prices are gonna go up soon?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my oso a 2ft tank... with 72W of PL and a DIY C02.. any most of my plants able to see steam of air bubbles floating up after light ON for 1hr.. ricca got "peal" ontop..

Sad ... I dun think mine really bubbles even if I turn on the lights for the whole day! Though it doesn't really matters, seeing your plants pearling/bubbling makes you happy/excited.

ninafly,
    your guppies gave birth again???? heard the last time u gave away some baby fry

Yeah .. come to think of it, guppies can be a headache now. They breed like nobody business