Country
    Singapore

DIY cooler system in hang on filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi there

I was thinking about how to cool the temp of the shrimp tank lately. And i came out with this idea:
    Is it possible to add pieces/blocks of commercial ice packs ( known to keep food cool over long hours ) in our hang on filter to effectively cool the water temp down.

As far as leaking is concern, is not a problem as the ice pack is made of solid plastic casing, without any opening. therefore it will not contaminate the water. So theortically we only need to change ice pack 2x a day to achieve the cooling effect, perhaps we can wrap the filter with some insulation material and it should help to prolong the "life of the ice pack".

By doing so, running cost is quite low and not too much hassle also. We just have to freeze enough ice pack to be used for the day. The ice pack is only $2 per piece, very cheap too. and the shock to the shrimp is gradual afterall it is flowing down from a hang on filter at a very slow speed. is something like keep adding icy water in very small amount through out the day.

This idea is generated from a foreign website where the fellow DIY a styrofoam insulation box placed full of ice and ice gel pack, and water is pump through a power head from the tank and go through the " DIY ice BOX" before releasing it back to the tank. But i dont like the idea of having a unslightly styrofoam beside the tank in my living hall. But of course, his is a more effective setup as the box can be big enough to place a lot of ice, ice pack to last long.

Please feel free to share opinion

Regards
    Sky

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    wouldn't it get too cold? There is no way to regulate the temperature...so you will be effectively getting 2 HUGE temperature fluctutations throughout the day. and as far as i know, those kill things

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So far I have seen people do DIY TEM on their hang on filters, Using Ice packs will have limititation on cooling effect as well as control of temp fluatations

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The idea is cool but not new.
    http://www.petfrd.com/forum/articles...ticle&artid=92
    They don't stay cold as you think they will in water. It won't work very well unless your tank is very small or you diligently change ice packs. In which case, temperature control will be an issue too, as mentioned.

ck

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    If you want to use ice pack with styroform method and pump, at the same time able to control the temperature in the tank, you can consider a thermostat to activate/stop the pump once the tank temperature fluctuate . You can use the thermostat for your future chiller as this thermostat will give you more flexibility than the inbuilt thermostat.

The thermostat will cost around $70-85 from Sim Lim Tower basement , and brand is Fox from korea.
    Last edited by grey_fox; 10th May 2007 at 22:34. Reason: spelling: styrofoam not stylofoam.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The most economical method to cool a tank, in my opinion is to use a fan.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Let's say if your shrimp tank size is small, using the ice, the temperature will fluctuate too much and sudden, will do more harm.

Would say the fluctuation is the factor!
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wks View Post
    The most economical method to cool a tank, in my opinion is to use a fan.
    move to north pole
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think it would be a case of "pound foolish, penny wise". your best bet would be to shift the tank into a air-con room.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    all points noted. am getting a chiller or tem for my 40L tank