Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Gotosima planting ????

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    This is my 2nd time trying to grow gotosima. Can anyone teach me how to plant, and grow them?

When first bough, the leaves are small and dark green. , but as they grew they grew larger, and the green has lightened.

The are not growing upwards, but at the bottom still.

My tank conditions:
    3 feet
    165L / 43.58 Gallon
    120W of FL light [3" above water]
    Temp: 26 - 27 degrees
    Substrate: 4" - 6" with base fertiliser
    weeky dose of iron and trace elements
    weekly change of 10% water
    CO2 injection: 2bps

Thank you
    The key to success is patience. If that fails, screw the guy in front of you!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my first reaction would be that you don't quite have enough lights. My 23 gal tank (80cm) had 108W PL right above 1.5ft of water.

When planting, you need to use a tweezer. prepare them by cleaning and separating the plants into bunches of 2-3 strips of 2-3 nodes (about 1-inch long). Decide where you want to plant and visualise a 2cm grid (ala parade square).

Grip a bunch in your tweezer, plunge it straight down into the gravel so that only the very tip of the bunch (top 2 leaves) are visible. Don't worry they will work their way out in no time. Do this until you've covered the whole parade square or you run out of plants. If you have spare plants you can plant them in between the grids to increase the density.

YOu should be using 2-3mm gravel (eg lonestar gravel) and when plunging the tweezer, release the tweezer in the gravel, and slowly extract it so the plant and the gravel stays in place. And you gravel should be only 1-inch thick so the plants can reach the base fert easily.

And of course you should have good base fert, don't stinge.

And good luck!
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oh and the plant is called glossostigma.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    WOW [:0] 23 Gal and 108W.... tt is abt 4.7W / Gal..

Read from some book tt high light is abt 3W/Gal...

Currently mine is only 2.7W/Gal.. Thanks for the info, and correcting my spelling mistake..

Guess i'll have to save up to up grade to 5/6 X 36W of PL. no more space for my FL light...

Is it better / cheaper [in ther long run] to have 6 X 30W FL = 180W
    Or 5 X 36W PL = 180W ?
    The key to success is patience. If that fails, screw the guy in front of you!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    from my experience, make sure the lighting is evenly distributed (unless you're trying to create a dark corner), which means you should make sure the FL/PL tube length is equal to the length of your tank.

Eg, my tank is 80cm (a bit more than 2.5ft), so a single 36W PL would create 2 dark spots on the two ends. However, 2×36W wouldn't fit. So the solution was to add an 18W PL which covers exactly 2.5ft (only true if your balast is on the side of the housing and not at one end). THis is the configuration I have 2 × (18W+36W). Nature Aquarium can do these kind of special upgrades. Consult Chan if you're not sure.