Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Vincent told me before about taking fish photos and that there is a need for wireless flashes.. if that's the case, Nikon has the below

"Wireless Speedlight Commander SU-800, a commander to control up to 3 groups of i-TTL compatible wireless flash units."

Is that what I should buy?
    Last edited by benny; 15th May 2007 at 01:04.
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi8888 View Post
    Vincent told me before about taking fish photos and that there is a need for wireless flashes.. if that's the case, Nikon has the below

"Wireless Speedlight Commander SU-800, a commander to control up to 3 groups of i-TTL compatible wireless flash units."

Is that what I should buy?

check if the D80 has a built-in commander, which will save you the need to spend on the SU-800.
    Last edited by benny; 15th May 2007 at 01:05.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think D80 got Commander mode. Because I know D70s have. So can't be an older model not having commander mode. Even D40 has it also I think.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by valice View Post
    I think D80 got Commander mode. Because I know D70s have. So can't be an older model not having commander mode. Even D40 has it also I think.
    urrgg... i need to learn more.. i dont even know what is commander mode....
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    forget abt the SU-800, defintely not suitable for fish photography, with the built-in commander mode, you saved on the flash transmitter.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    The tripod is essential because you will get a major headache trying to hold the camera and look thru it for such a close up subject. Focussing will also be a nightmare. Get a good one. I bought a Gitzo mountaineer [no idea why as I'm not mountain goat. lol] it's light and sturdy. There are other good brands that are value for your money.

Commander mode on Nikon cameras if i'm not mistaken fire built in flash to trigger off camera SB600 or SB800's. I'm not sure if the trigger flash will appear on the image[as a reflection if photographing thru glass. The SU 800 on the other hand uses IR to do the job.
    Last edited by benny; 15th May 2007 at 01:06.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    The tripod is essential because you will get a major headache trying to hold the camera and look thru it for such a close up subject. Focussing will also be a nightmare. Get a good one. I bought a Gitzo mountaineer [no idea why as I'm not mountain goat. lol] it's light and sturdy. There are other good brands that are value for your money.

Commander mode on Nikon cameras if i'm not mistaken fire built in flash to trigger off camera SB600 or SB800's. I'm not sure if the trigger flash will appear on the image[as a reflection if photographing thru glass. The SU 800 on the other hand uses IR to do the job.
    But it will be more of a headache if you use a tripod to shoot fish. Stan, you shooting fish using a tripod?

As for the built-in flash, I noticed that those using it doesn't have that reflection problem. I believe, if diffused properly, the built-in flash acts as a very nice fill flash to lighten up the underside of the fish. But to get the correct exposure, slightly different settings might need to be used.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    Commander mode on Nikon cameras if i'm not mistaken fire built in flash to trigger off camera SB600 or SB800's. I'm not sure if the trigger flash will appear on the image[as a reflection if photographing thru glass.
    You can configure in the Commander mode not to fire the built-in flash but you still need to lift up the built-in flash.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can elaborate how this can be done? Would be useful to other Nikon users.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by valice View Post
    Can elaborate how this can be done? Would be useful to other Nikon users.
    Under Custom setting menu, go to Option '22 Built-In Flash'. Select Commander Mode. Scroll to 'Built-in flash' and under mode choose '--' which means do not fire.

Commander mode
    |---Built-in flash
    | |--Mode (TTL, M, --)
    | |--Comp (+/- 3 EV)
    .---Group A
    | |--Mode (TTL,AA,M,--)
    | |--Comp (+/- 3 EV)
    .---Group B
    | |--Mode (TTL,AA,M,--)
    | |--Comp (+/- 3 EV)
    .---Channel
    |--1 - 4

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Baron View Post
    Under Custom setting menu, go to Option '22 Built-In Flash'. Select Commander Mode. Scroll to 'Built-in flash' and under mode choose '--' which means do not fire.

Commander mode
    |---Built-in flash
    | |--Mode (TTL, M, --)
    | |--Comp (+/- 3 EV)
    .---Group A
    | |--Mode (TTL,AA,M,--)
    | |--Comp (+/- 3 EV)
    .---Group B
    | |--Mode (TTL,AA,M,--)
    | |--Comp (+/- 3 EV)
    .---Channel
    |--1 - 4

Green Baron

Are you sure on the above... i have not bought the SB 800 yet but the cathay guy told me that built in flash cannot be deactiviated if i want to remote the SB 800..I am using D80 BTW. He said i need to buy a cable...
    Last edited by benny; 15th May 2007 at 00:31.
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Green Baron

Are you sure on the above... i have not bought the SB 800 yet but the cathay guy told me that built in flash cannot be deactiviated if i want to remote the SB 800..I am using D80 BTW. He said i need to buy a cable...
    I did not check to see if the flash actually fired but you can RTFM. You have a D80 right ? It is on pg 96 of the manual. Read it yourself !

[quote]
    Last edited by benny; 15th May 2007 at 00:31.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Baron View Post
    I did not check to see if the flash actually fired but you can RTFM. You have a D80 right ? It is on pg 96 of the manual. Read it yourself !

Just got a reply from Nikon

hank you for contacting Nikon Asia Technical Support. Your case has been forwarded to us.
    We will assist you from here.

For the D80 built-in flash to work as a commander, it have to send a pre-flash signal, hence it would have to pop up.
    The only way to prevent the direct flash from exposing on the subject, you would have to find a put an opaque card in front to block it. However, the range in which the light frequency signal is emmitted might be reduced and might not trigger if not within range.

Thank you once again for your support on Nikon Products. We hope that we have addressed your concerns.
    Please feel free to contact us for more information.

Which means the built-in flash cannot be deactivated if I want to use it as a commander
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Which means the built-in flash cannot be deactivated if I want to use it as a commander
    I thought so, as I asked a friend who manages a chain of photo retail outlets here who's familiar with Nikon products.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just got a reply from Nikon

hank you for contacting Nikon Asia Technical Support. Your case has been forwarded to us.
    We will assist you from here.

For the D80 built-in flash to work as a commander, it have to send a pre-flash signal, hence it would have to pop up.
    The only way to prevent the direct flash from exposing on the subject, you would have to find a put an opaque card in front to block it. However, the range in which the light frequency signal is emmitted might be reduced and might not trigger if not within range.

Thank you once again for your support on Nikon Products. We hope that we have addressed your concerns.
    Please feel free to contact us for more information.

Yes and No. Yes, the built-in flash will fire a pre-flash and No, the built-in flash will not fire the actual full-power flash.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi do not know if this is available locally but i guess this will be the answer to the pre flash problem.

http://www.vistek.ca/prodimg/225939.jpg

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually I have seen Cathay selling this "glove" device to diffusing the on-board camera flash. Maybe can try to use something similar. Can then use the on-board as a trigger and also a fill-flash.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OK.. will see what CP has...
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~