Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Thinkng about starting up a planted tank...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England

Thinkng about starting up a planted tank...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey guys.
    Soon will be buying a new 2'x1'x1' tank, 15g, am considering what to do with it, and would quite like to have a planted tank...
    Just wondering what lighting is needed for a planted tank? The only plant i know i want to keep at this moment is Riccia..really like that..
    Would also like some of the amano shrimp, and maybe some cardinal tetras...
    Does anyone have any suggestions on lighting, plants (please use common names) and fish for the tank, that would be very helpfull...
    Thanks,
    James
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    James, you're in the UK right? Excellent condition for moss and shrimps. For riccia you'd need very strong lights and most plants would do much better with CO2 injection.

Someone here has experience with sending moss internationally so we might be able to get you some if they're not available. Christmas moss is very beautiful when grown on a wall.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    for a 15g, i will recommend 2x 36W PL tubes. get tubes that has colour temperature of 6500K (optimal.. +/- 500K wouldn't make much of a difference i think). that's the closest to sunlight. i would prefer to DIY cos lights selling in most shops here doesn't meet the requirement. so you can choose to DIY too if you can get materials in your country. there are many articles about DIY lights.
    i will advise against riccia. it's really really troublesome. it gets too thick very quickly and in no time you will have to retie it. and in that process, you will stir up debris which will cloud the tank for some time. java or xmas moss is a better choice. though there's no intensive bubbling/pearling.
    for ideas you may want to look at amano's work and see which kind of plants he uses.
    fish... for me, what i will have is a school of cardinal tetras.. plus maybe a pair of apisto or rams. depends on the individual.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mez, u can keep riccia but u gotta trim it regularly but still u can have just riccia in the tank as a carpet with nothing else. and it still looks great. u could set up the tank as a species tank just for a school of cardinals. they're better off that way with some Amano shrimps as tankmates.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Hwchoy, yes im in the UK, England, i cant get christmas moss here, have seen it on the net, looks very nice..but i bet it would be very expensive if it was ever available here..
    oqs, i can get the ones at 6500k, i have one on my saltwater tank...so two of those would be ok? i think that would make the water temp rise quite high though..
    I have made a DIY Co2 before when i attempted a planted tank (and failed...terribly..) so that is no problem.
    Stormhawk, thanks for the advice, a carpet of riccia would be nice i think...
    Another question, what substrate should i use? Any need for base fert?
    Thanks,
    James

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yup, get 2 36W 6500K tubes. you will be on your way to a well lit tank. heat is a major issue when using a great amount of light. you may want to consider a fan to cool the water down. diy fans is easy too. there are articles around.
    riccia carpet is nice, but as it grows thicker, the riccia below cannot get enough light and die off... soon the whole patch of riccia above the dead riccia below floats up. regular trimming is still the way to go with riccia.
    substrate can be fine river sand.. maximum grain size maybe 2-3mm. base fert not neccessary if you have only riccia and stem plants. root feeders like echinodorus sp. and cryptos need base fert to grow well.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oqs, mez is in the UK so heat should not be a serious problem. I would suggest putting in the base fert anyway since you never know when you might want to add a plant that needs it, don't limit yourself with something that needs ripping the tank apart to remedy! []

I will check with another guy to see how to ship xmas moss overseas. I can ship you some. Should do well in your climate.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    hwchoy, im not sure..would be good..but i think i would have to pick the moss up from the airport wouldnt i? If so..then cannot..airport is quite a long way from me!
    hwchoy, the temp on my SW tank is 78*F because of the light i use, i have a heater, but dont actually need to use it in my satlwater tank!
    If i go ahead with the planting, i will add base fert...just incase..
    Thanks,
    James

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    hwchoy, whilst im posting, can ask you a quick question..
    Have a lake tangayikan tank that looks a bit bare in some places, where there are gaps in the rocks..just wondering..is there any plant that can live in a high pH (about 8.0) and with low lighting? (about 1.5 watts per gallon)?
    Thanks,
    James

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear Mez, 78F is a temperature unheard of in our tropical paradise. It is probably below our room temperature even at night! Most of our tanks are running 82-88F unless fanned or chilled []

78F would be a great temperature for moss and shrimps [:]

I think the posting of moss entails flattening out the moss in those ziplock bags and sent straight to your door. Anyway post to UK usually takes only 5 days.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/2/2002 2:37:22 AM

hwchoy, whilst im posting, can ask you a quick question..
    Have a lake tangayikan tank that looks a bit bare in some places, where there are gaps in the rocks..just wondering..is there any plant that can live in a high pH (about 8.0) and with low lighting? (about 1.5 watts per gallon)?
    Thanks,
    James
    ----------------
    James, you can try Vallisneria. I've also read that vals are found in there natural environment.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Thanks vinz, hwchoy...
    Vinz, are vallisneria cheap? or are they more expensive?
    We seem to be very limited in plants round here...the only ones the lfs carry all the time are the Amazon Swords
    Thanks,
    James

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Vals are quite cheap here. It propogates by creepers and will often quickly take over a tank given favoruable conditions.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.