Country
    England

New small tank...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello!
    I just got given a 1ft tank, it is only 2 gallon..
    The LFS was having a "clean out", they found it so they give it me..
    They said, i could keep a "Neon gobie" in the tank, with a cleaner shrimp and 2 hermit crabs. is this true?! How big do Neon Gobies get? I dont think they were joking either...they were serious...
    Any thoughts and comments is welcome...
    Thanks,
    James
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Hi Mez,

I'm new to the forum, but not to reefing, so here's my 2 sen

The neon goby will reach about 2" (5cm) in the wild, but in your tank, probably to about 1" only. Being such a small fish means its waste load will be pretty low, and "generally" not something to be worried about.

However, because 2G is a REAL little tank, it still can get overloaded, biologically speaking. You could of course have a HOB filter, a small canister, or even the traditional UGF to keep NH3 and NO2 at bay. Just remember to change your water regularly, if these pollutants show up on your test kits.

OTOH, a 2 G tank could be set up very nicely as an invert tank with minimal bioload. I have a 5G with about 3 kg live rock, 2" of DSB, and a 600lph power head just circulating the water. No other form of filtration. The critters I keep are 2 cleaner shrimps, 1 turbo snail, 1 Trochus snail, 1 cowrie shell, 1 brittlestar, 2 small Cladiella corals, and a couple of featherduster worms. It already looks pretty good without the presence of fish. Perhaps you could consider this.

HTH