Images
    Country
    Singapore

My impressions of Aquarama 2007

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everyone, just visited Aquarama 2007 today and thought I share my impressions of the event.

Frankly speaking, I am not really wowed by the exhibits. Maybe its just me but I don't find anything new and exciting. Its the same year in and year out. Perhaps it good for arowana enthusiasts as I think out of 10 exhibits, probably 6 concerns arowana.

I am more a "other species" type like rasboras, tetras, and new exotic species. I half expected to see more species but sigh, its the same. Don't get me wrong, the arowanas, guppies, discus etc are nice, but should have more variety. I saw a tank of rasboras that won a "new species" prize but most of them are dead! Isn't that bad?

Yawn ~so I got out and went to Ecoculture, but they were closed Then I went to Biotope. Guess what, I think the "boss" fell asleep while in the process of cleaning the tank! It overflowed and short circuited the whole place. I have to walk to the table and tapped the table to wake him up as the whole place is dark!

Finally, I went to Wuhu at Tiong Bahru, bought 10 rasboras. They look exactly like nanas except they have neon blue eyes Anyone knows what is it called? Or is it just another variant of rasbora nana?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wow, what a wonderful journey report you having. Got take any photo for aquarama 2007? maybe can post...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For me i think the booth from Peru had some very nice Apistogramma baeschi. Apisto lovers should take a look. I wanted to get some but too bad the guy there says they are sold already.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    THE AQUARAMA...can consider a flop...really nothing much to shot about.

many competition fishes went.......
    Last edited by benny; 27th May 2007 at 02:57. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It not worth the trip for me too.
    Sigh.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by jwuog View Post
    I saw a tank of rasboras that won a "new species" prize but most of them are dead!
    I don't remember seeing any Rasbora spp. on the first day. Anyway, those new species are not really new actually, and there is at least more than one tank that is labelled wrongly.

Finally, I went to Wuhu at Tiong Bahru, bought 10 rasboras. They look exactly like nanas except they have neon blue eyes Anyone knows what is it called? Or is it just another variant of rasbora nana?
    Hmmm... a spot on the dorsal fin?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the "new species" rasbora was microrasbora galaxy wasn't it? only 2 pieces were left by the time i arrived there.

wasn't a very interesting event imo, only thing that made it worthwhile for me was the free 1ft cube from qianhu haha...wanted to buy one last week and i'm glad i waited =)

other than that, was just good that the promoters were more free to introduce their products than most LFS people...so i found out abit more about some products i was interested in from Sera and Aquamedi...other than that, it was pretty much a "meh" experience imo

(also bought a HOB filter for my 1 ft cube from Atman that a LFS i called told me he could sell to me for half price, though the model he carries doesn't have the "NEW MODEL" label like the one i bought from Atman does...hopefully whatever new features it gives justifies the double price)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    qian hu gives away free 1ft cube tanks?
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    To hii, sorry no camera. I think other treads have plenty of pics.

To Quixotic, yes! The rasbora has a black tip like nana but has neon blue eyes! Is it just another variant of rasbora nana.

Sorry, i know this is deviating from the thread, but would really like to know what I putting in my tank. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    it's quite disappointing for planted fans- nothing much to see except buying reference book and see soem of the new lightings, chillers..... but lucky in only in suntec/ in town. if EXPO- willbe a wasted trip.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    To Quixotic, yes! The rasbora has a black tip like nana but has neon blue eyes! Is it just another variant of rasbora nana?
    Not a variant.. its another species altogether..

Generally known as Rasbora dorsiocellata...but there are 2 subspecies.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, I was quite impress with the stuff they were showcasing, there was a sliver lining in the whole show, but it was hard to spot. Dr Gerald Bassleer was there, I was amazed no one really took notice that this guy was around, but I manage to take a photo with him.

I knew that this was a trade show meant more for traders than for the usual aquarists, so I kept my expectation to find alot of heavily discounted retail stuff like AquaMedi low.

The biggest gripe I had about the show was how almost all the microrasbora Sp in one tank at the showcase side died. One of the booths too (not naming names here) had almost all their young arrowanas gasping and dying (look like ammonia poisoning) and the retailers were oblivious to it all despite being centimetres away from the tank. I find it downright ethically wrong to belittle the lives of these fishes at the expense of propagating the prospect of the trade. They really need to get people to monitor the area constantly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    the "new species" rasbora was microrasbora galaxy wasn't it? only 2 pieces were left by the time i arrived there.
    Uhm, I hope I don't sound pedantic when I refer to Rasboras as Rasbora spp., not Celestichthys margaritatus. Cyprinids maybe, but Rasboras?

jwuog, ranmasatome has provided the answer. Start a thread if need to if you have questions, so as not to distract from this thread.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I guess this show really sacrified a lot fishes, the owner need to take good care of their fish by not showing the booth with dead fish, cause buyer lost confident on their fish condition.

I won't buy if I saw this happen and won't consider to get fish from their LFS too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    are participants allowed to feed and change water for their fishes?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Generally, I only enjoys watching the setups at the planted competition and witnessing all the exotic wild bettas at the bettaclub booth.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I like Aquarama. Fish lover like me. It is better than nothing. Btw, found new product in Colombo B.V from The Netherland. Talk to the sales guy and he said new age planting need not NO3 and PO4!

Check out www.colombo.nl

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It is good to have Aquarama. Hope it is a yearly thing rather than 2 year once. Enjoyed the show.