Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have been keeping fresh water for a white and am considering marine now. My idea for a set up is white sand and something like a white version of a drift wood? And 2 lion fish. I don't intend to keep live rocks as of yet.

I've read the previous thread on starting a reef tank ans was wondering if I need all the same things for a tank without live rocks and such? Mine is a 100cm x 30 cm Juwel tank and an Atman CF 600 filter. 8mm thick on the front and back and 5 mm on the sides. With the glass thickness as such is it safe to go ahead?

I have seen some people keeping a marine set up with nothing more then a overhard filter? How does that work?

All help will be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by benny; 31st May 2007 at 15:42. Reason: Merge post/spelling

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome to AQ Naresh666.

A marine version of driftwood would be those tonga branches live rock. They look like submerged tree roots you'll find on those mangrove area but are thicker in diameter. Since yours would be a fowlr tank ( fish only with live rock ) you'll definitely need a protein skimmer.

It's quite odd with the 5mm thickness on the side. But if you want to re-use that tank, you could check back with the lfs you bought it from. If they can't help you, you could ask them for the Juwel distributor contact info in SG. But if in doubt, get a proper marine tank ie tank and sump setup.
    Last edited by benny; 31st May 2007 at 15:43.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by naresh666 View Post
    i have seen some ppl keep a marine set up with nuthing more then a overhard filter? how does that work?
    bro , you need a skimmer for marine set up whch is the most important piece of equipment.
    Last edited by benny; 29th May 2007 at 20:35. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Naresh666, here is another Juwel user who has problem with the tank after he use it for his marine setup. I think he is a member of our forum too.

http://www.absolutereef.com/forums/i...showtopic=8066

Page 3 will show you the image of the tank starting to bow out.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Naresh666, here is another Juwel user who has problem with the tank after he use it for his marine setup. I think he is a member of our forum too.

http://www.absolutereef.com/forums/i...showtopic=8066

Page 3 will show you the image of the tank starting to bow out.
    Hello Rohaizal, thanks for showing Naresh666 the link to my problem
    I hope you can learn from my mistake and I'm sure you will not want to be in a situation where I am in.

Naresh666, I would strongly encourage you get a proper (thickness and design wise) tank before you start mixing salt with water.
    The amount of liverocks in my tank is easily 60kg, which is definately stressing the tank too much

I am in the mist of getting a new tank setup with a proper sump, cabinet and pipings, customised tank design
    I had definately took a longer and more expensive path on embarking my marine adventure.

The initial investment may be a bitter pill to swollow but it will definately help you to sleep soundly at night
    Regards,
    Izzat