Advertise here

Advertise here
    thanks for the advise

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tips for conditioning new shrimps in your tanks

Works beautifully. My CRS are doing fine after dripping for 6/7 hrs. My ghost shrimps on the other hand are dropping like flies.. I din drip them..
    My nick is lizhien. But i'm not a girl. It's Li Zhi En. =) You can call me Cole too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, what i do is... When i buy home the shrimps, i open the plastic bag pour half the water away then drip water from my tank into the plastic bag till its double the volume(same volume when u first open it) then slowly net the shrimps into the tank. Use a valve and tube for the drip method, control the drip using the vavle so that its dripping like 1 drop per 3 sec. Since the bag is usually not big, this takes ard 1 hour.. Make sure u are not trapping any shrimp when dripping! Sometimes u set the bag upright( in a little pail with clothes peg) shrimps will get trapped at the corners of the bag! Take note...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oops.. I forgot.. One more thing, i do all this with tank lights off and minimum room lights. This tends to reduce stress for the shrimps. Hope this helps...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the advice bros!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I open the plastic bag then I pour half of the bags water away then after half an hour I take water from my tank and put in the bag then fifteen min pass I do the Same fOr three times then I release the shrimps to my tank.no casulties at all for me on the blue aura shrimps from green chapter.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Netherlands

Hi bro's,
    Buy yourself a easybreedingbox from superfish. You attach this to your tank on the outside. You connect 1 tube from your airpump to the breedingbox(basic equipment also delivered in the box) and the dripping is automatically done for you. You can adjust the dripping by a button.

Just pour the shrimps with their own water. Inject water mixed with furanol2 to calm the shrimps and let it drip for 24 hours. Then the osmosis system of the shrimps will adjust perfectly to their new water parameters and not only temperature.

Works perfect!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi there. Do you guys use air pump to pump air into the bag you are topping up water to? Because 3 to 8 hours is a long time. Afraid the shrimps would have no air.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by v200 View Post
    Hi there. Do you guys use air pump to pump air into the bag you are topping up water to? Because 3 to 8 hours is a long time. Afraid the shrimps would have no air.
    I don't use air pump while topping up water for new shrimp. I also don't top up water for the new shrimp for so long hours (3 to 8 hours). I just do it for about 30min to 1.5 hours max. This is my own way not sure how other brothers doing for their new shrimp.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yah, same for me too.. I drip for 2hrs max. Anyway, the water going to the bag is from the shrimp tank, so it should be aerated. I dun think an airpump is required. 8hrs a pretty long time for acclimatation... Never done it that long.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

for me is about 1 hour. then release them into main tank. acclimatize too long also stress the shrimps

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks guys for the answer. Will try and see how it goes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

This is pretty much what I do. I drop all inhabitants in all my tanks unless there are deaths in the bag that has created an ammonia spike. In that case I just bomb them instead because at that point the water in the tank is going to suit them better than the water in the bag. That's rare though.

For drip, I use a large salad bowl, and I drip for 1 to 2 hours. I also use two little suction cups to hold the CO2 line, one attaching to the inside of the tank, and one to the glass bowl. I tie three knots in the CO2 line so I have plenty of control over the speed of the drip, and I will change speeds accordingly based on the species (BKK over night for example), or how much time I have.

pro tip: Don't leave knots tied in your CO2 drip line. If you leave it that way too long, the next time you go to use it you will not be able to get suction every time, even after you untie and retie the knots. It's a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by crs_lover View Post
    I use dripping method, I don't want water from other sources to get into my tank, I don't know what they will come with.

I usually put shrimps plus water it come with in a 10 liter pail, and drip water from my tank, it will take 2 to 3 hrs to fill the 10 liter pail. Then I scoop the shrimps and put into the tank. Now the tank has less water, the next day, I will add in more water.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For me, i got this advice from beetlejuice. He said to pour your tank water into the box where your bought shrimps are. Every hour, just add a bit of water. Minimum should be 2 hours... 6 hours is recommended. (:
    I keep sulawesi shrimps, tetras, birds, exotic pets, herptiles and monster fishes.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys, I recently used the dripping method to transfer my Sulawesi Shrimps with no casualties according this this website:

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/articles/97

I found it to be pretty easy and no need for a valve. Just the usual rubber tubing will do. Just thought I'd share...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingkong View Post
    Hi bro's,
    Buy yourself a easybreedingbox from superfish. You attach this to your tank on the outside. You connect 1 tube from your airpump to the breedingbox(basic equipment also delivered in the box) and the dripping is automatically done for you. You can adjust the dripping by a button.

Just pour the shrimps with their own water. Inject water mixed with furanol2 to calm the shrimps and let it drip for 24 hours. Then the osmosis system of the shrimps will adjust perfectly to their new water parameters and not only temperature.

Works perfect!
    Is this the same as the satellite box?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
    Hey, look guys. You can't simply float the bags of shrimp around for awhile and dump everything in. The temperature maybe conditioned to the tank, but the water is not. If the drip method is too troublesome, float the bag in the tank and poke a couple of holes to let the water mix. Leave it there for a few hours and add more holes during that time. I do that with 100% survival.
    HI bro, that means u just put the bag into the tank, then poke some holes so that the water can mix? do u do it straight away? or do u leave it there for 30mins first then poke? thanks bro

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

would like to find out if there's any time frame from introducing shrimps into the tank until we can say they are adapting safely? I mean like some sort of "critical period" before they can be said to be adapting to the new environment(ie. not dying)? Would that be in terms of days or weeks? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

As a newbie shrimp owner, this is very informative to me. The only shrimps that i have now are 5 opae ula which I didn't do any conditioning. Fortunately none of them died, but that has probably more to do with their hardiness.

I'm planning on getting some RCA soon and will definitely condition them before introducing them to my tank (which isn't ready yet....)
    Last edited by xuan87; 2nd Apr 2013 at 11:25.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Very good advice. Thks!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast