Thread: algae eaters dying!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Yah... i have a question about otos. Are otos "furry"/hairy?

Mine look like their scales are sticking out, but they aren't bloated... dunno how to tell if they are sick or not. A couple have become a little pale looking too.

Anyone?

Thanks!
    *glup! glup!*

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    spida, culled that fish.. b4 its too late

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ahem, you got stale algae lah…
    ----------------
    [/quote]
    have such thing as stale algae arh?? never knew that..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/11/2002 8:29:28 AM

spida, culled that fish.. b4 its too late
    ----------------
    [:0] They're supposed to be smooth and not "furry" right? Oh dear all of the otos are like that!! That means its dropsy... darn... better go get them out!

Thanks,
    Ida
    *glup! glup!*

Feedback Score
    Hi,

I think I also got the same problem like you. I think it might be the substrate you are using. I lost 2 corys, 2 SAE n 1 Chinese AE within a few days after I put them in my new planted tank. I guess it muz be the black quartz-like gravels I'm using. One of my fren said that they might got scatched when they tried to dig with their mouth and got infection. All died without visible injuries.

I tried so hard to find black gravel as the substrate for my new tank and now my AEs all die die, I'm also very sad like you. I've removed the gravel and dunno what to put in.
    Regards,
    Brigitte

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/9/2002 10:29:49 PM

Yeah, having the same problem

slowly lossing my otos.. very $$$ to keep replacing them..

My water conditions are ok, cos my discus shows no problem... [are discus more frigile?]

pls help..

thanks
    ----------------

Discus are fragile if they're young. But once they are about past a certain size, they can withstand more shocks and diseases than the smaller fishes. My discus has survived multiple shocks and scares and still have survived up to today. But I had one whole lot of neons, cardinals and catfishes dying due to a change in water temp.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    but me not using those gravels leh.. me using river sand...
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Be careful and quarantine your otos and algae eaters. Once, I bought quite a number and introduced into my betta barrack to eat algae and it brought disease to the whole system. All the bettas fell sick. Some of the otos died.

They're very fragile fish, but could still bring disease. So, currently, I put them all in a quarantine tank with anti- bacterial treatment for a few days before putting the healthy ones into the main tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/13/2002 3:36:03 PM

I tried so hard to find black gravel as the substrate for my new tank and now my AEs all die die, I'm also very sad like you. I've removed the gravel and dunno what to put in.
    ----------------
    Dennerle gravel comes in black. Very smooth and looks nice. It is rather expensive but its worth it in the long run. It's clean don't have to wash like crazy and good for those fish that like to dig around. I got it for my tank and no regrets man worth every cent.
    *glup! glup!*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dawn2,

I dun think it's the gravel that killed your fish. The fact that your planted tank is new. I suspect that the no2 or Nh3 poisoning instaed. It's quite common in a new tank.

I've known some ppl using the same gravel and keeping corries. No problems...
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 9/15/2002 4:58:33 AM
    Dennerle gravel comes in black. Very smooth and looks nice. It is rather expensive but its worth it in the long run. It's clean don't have to wash like crazy and good for those fish that like to dig around. I got it for my tank and no regrets man worth every cent.
    ----------------
    Where to get dennerle gravel? I bought my crystal quartz-like gravel at an aquarium shop at Downtown East pasir ris. Tot already very lucky to find black color ones but my tank is without plants and gravels. So sad.... How much roughly does it cost? need to set aside some budget cos I think I need at least 15kg for my 2ft tank.
    Regards,
    Brigitte

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've seen it at Far East Aquatic Plants at 17 Simon Rd (near old Hougang Central). Look for contact in the AQ LFS list.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    I went to sam yick to check pricing, cost abt $28 for 5kg of gravels. i need at least 15kg. Anyone got any idea where I can get the gravel at a cheaper price or any other recommendations for similiar black gravels?
    Regards,
    Brigitte

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------

I've known some ppl using the same gravel and keeping corries. No problems...
    ----------------

actually
    fish farm rd had a farm that stocked the kind of black gravel i'm using, but they moved, and even before they moved they told me their supply is not constant

if you're looking for dennerle stuff u might want to check with chan from nature aquarium, think should be more reasonable than sam yick, considering their lower overheads
    but dennerle gravel is really nice
    you won't regret it

Feedback Score
    Thanks DEA,
    but I heard that nature aquarium will be closed from 16-19 Sept and some nice saying that dennerle products will increase its pricing by 20%. Dunno whether true or not. If so, I'll have to pay abt 100 plus bucks for gravels! How can this be? I can't afford so ex stuff. Anymore cheaper reccomendation guys? if not, I may buy lonstar gravels which you guys have mentioned so many times and use my black gravels to decorate flower pots.
    Regards,
    Brigitte

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i think the price increase is set by the distributor due to the exchange rate
    i'll see if i can find black gravel at happy aq.
    get back to you about this

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if you intend to have hairgrass or glosso or other foreground carpeting plants, don't bother too much about the look of the gravel, you wouldn't be seeing them for very long
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/16/2002 3:54:07 PM

I went to sam yick to check pricing, cost abt $28 for 5kg of gravels. i need at least 15kg. Anyone got any idea where I can get the gravel at a cheaper price or any other recommendations for similiar black gravels?
    ----------------
    Nature Aquarium is selling it for about $25/- for a bag... I think...
    *glup! glup!*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok
    c328 has a few bags of black gravel for 7 per bag i think not more than 5kg
    i dunno how much stock they have
    you might wanna call ^ ^

Feedback Score
    Hi DEA,

thanks for the effort of finding out for me. I think I got a cheaper options from a shop at upper changi road. But still haven't order from them cos tat day go down din bring any enough money and they dun accept NETS.[] They are only selling the gravels at $17 for 25kg. Got a variety of colors to choose from. Not exactly the black gravels I wanted but it's really cheap. Quality also not too bad. The only thing is that I might have to wash like siao for so much gravels.
    Regards,
    Brigitte

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast