Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Is My Tank Cycled?

Is My Tank Cycled?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys,
    Here is a pict of my 5' when I set it up 2 weeks ago.

After 2 weeks, here is a picture of my current tank

Tanks size:
    5x2x2
    - 0.5' dedicated to a built in trickle filter powered by a Eheim 1060, with output split into 2 outlets

- Ammonia/ammonium is undetectable.
    - Nitrite is undetectable
    - Nitrate is 5mg/l (ppm)
    - Phosphate is 0.1-0.25mg/l

Fishes inside:
    2 SAEs ( 3 initially, but 1 died after going into the tank)
    2 Clown loaches
    24 yamatoes
    6 Malayian Shrimp

- I have been feeding the inhabitants lightly for a week.
    - CO2 about 4-5 bubbles/sec. CO2 indictor shows correct dosage of CO2
    - 3x36W Osram Floura + 3x36W Osram Lumilux

So, do I wait till nitrate drops till zero before putting in my arowana?

Feedback Score
    cant see your pix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Arowana inside the tank????? I think your shrimps will be great food for the arowana though [] ...judging by the results of your test, your tank is likely to be cycled but did you measure your initial results? You mean your fishes have only been in the tank for one week? If that is true maybe your results are not accurate as you need fishes or bacteria stuff from LFS to start the cycling process.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Ya. I know that the yamatoes and the other fishes might be food for the aros. So far, my aro has been quite picky about food. He doesn't like shrimps, only frogs. But I'm quite prepared to give up the yamatoes for expensive fish food. But my funny aro doesn't even like tadpoles.

Subsequently, I suppose I'll have to keep malayan shrimps in the tank as cleaners and feeders...

I didn't take the initial readings, but I suppose since the nitrate is detectable, then there should be enough bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrate.

I did dose the tank with Nutrafin Cycle. I know the general consensus is that it doesn't work.

The thing is that there hasn't been any algae in the tank yet, so I can't put in more malayan shrimps or SAEs etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Vican,

Your NO3 and PO4 is pretty good. Keep your NO3 between 5 to 10 ppm and your PO4 at a tenth of NO3 levels. Nitrates do not have to drop to zero else your plants will be limited by N. Your aro can go in already. Watch your NO3 and PO4 levels once he goes in.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

----------------
    On 9/6/2002 10:18:04 PM

Vican,

Your NO3 and PO4 is pretty good. Keep your NO3 between 5 to 10 ppm and your PO4 at a tenth of NO3 levels. Nitrates do not have to drop to zero else your plants will be limited by N. Your aro can go in already. Watch your NO3 and PO4 levels once he goes in.
    ----------------
    Vinz,
    Thanks for the tip. I'm also waiting to put the aro in, but just to be safe, I'll monitor the water parameters for a couple of days more.

The thing I'm worried about is that the tank is cycled too soon (only 2 weeks??!!), not too sure if it's truly cycled.

Your 6' also looks pretty good now. When are you shopping for the aro?

Heard recently that the prices of RTGs have gone up because of the increase in demand.

Rgds

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Probably next week. Was at c328 today. The RTGs look pretty good, but I couldn't really check them out as I had to catch my company lunch bus back.

Only 2 weeks? Then better sit back and watch the values. Give it at least another 2 to be on the safe side.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah.. i mature both my planted and marine tanks for more than 28 days b4 adding the more expensive fishes.. for cycling, me using feeder or just one fish.. but definately not RTG.. []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Vinz,
    Clementi RTGs are most likely from DFI. A couple of places are selling DFI RTGs, Tampines blk 801 seems to have them in better condition. You might also want to try Pet Provision at Upper Changi Road (think it's No. 350).

If you're really free, you might want to check out Lam Hong at Ang Mo Kio. They have panda golds at the old price of $380.

Both DFI RTG and panda gold are very nice when grown