Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: protein on surface

Feedback Score

protein on surface

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    my tank for quite sum time have this white patches of i think protein...its like a thin covering, when u blow it..it makes way, then goes back and cover.
    why does this thing keep on building up, and how could i prevent/dispose it without using a surface skimmer?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Platy such as swordtail, black molly will consume the protein. Maybe guppies also can be used.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That layer of oil is due to stagnant water...lack of surface turbulence (great for injection of CO2 as loss is minimized). Maybe you can try to place a spray bar just under the water surface to slightly stir up the water while minimizing CO2 loss through lots of turbulence.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's normal one lah.

It is the organics from the wastes. Will always be there. For me, I got used to if and left it there.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    May want to invest in a surface skimmer if you're running a external filter. It's rather bulky, so if you have a small 2ft tank, it's gonna take up up precious space.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/6/2002 9:22:06 PM

Platy such as swordtail, black molly will consume the protein. Maybe guppies also can be used.
    ----------------
    I have 10 Swordtails in my 4ft tank. They did a good job clearing the surface scum. My last water change was a week ago and till yesterday, no trace of oil.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Do a good deed.
    Go to those shops selling feeder mollies or platies and buy a small bag of them. Those who survive who repay you by keeping the surface clean of any scum, and bless you with abundant new generations.

BTW, has anybody seen the atrocity in Pet Safari, where a 5 foot tank is filled with thousands of neon tetras plus a foot long luohan? I am gonna raise a helluva ruckus next time I happen to there. [damn pissed off smiley]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah. pet safari are a bunch of freaks who doesn't know anything... all they do is just to sell their stuffs more expensive than others.