Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Sailfin tang, wow!

Sailfin tang, wow!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hie guys,

Long time no talk liaoz! Sorry lah, been reading once in a while but still bogged down by school work. It's recess (1 week only, sigh) now, which = aquarium shopping time, haha!

Anyway, I *accidentally* passed by Reborn Aquarium today and they had about 10 pcs of very nice sailfin tangs. Anyone knows how much these are selling for, or are normally sold for? REALLY, really want to get one, but limited budget leh ... just bought a nice Bali frogspawn from Hong Leong.

Anyway my nitrites suddenly shot up in the past week, presumably due to the macroalgae die-off in my refugium (think they all collaborated against me, those photosynthetic freaks!!!). Tried all sorts of methods to bring it down, including re-innoculation of bacteria, 2 packets of carbon, 2 packets of zeolite and 1 packet of chemi-pure sponge. The Sponge really helped lower it significantly but nitrite is still detectable on my test kit. What should I do?!?? Die lah ... not that my corals really mind for now, they are still opening up as usual, but it's just something bugging me.

Happy Reefing, guys!
    Hong Yee

hi goby..
    ya man MIA so long..anyway u shld try to get some macro algae again. tt shld bring the no3 down fast...dun feed too much during this time too.

sailfin tangs r quite cheap abt $10 onwards
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Dragon,

My personal view is that, to reduce nitrite, is best leave it to bilogical filtration i.e. more Live Rock. And both sump and external filter (cannister type) as back up.

Although I do not have a separate tank dedicate as a sump but I do have a internal sump which the water flow through few piececs of Live rock first and then into the bio ball (wet/ dry) and then to the substrate (comprises of bio-home and coral sand) and out it go after passing through the activated carbon. Beside this, I have about 20 to 30 kg of live rock and also a 2227 filter.

For info, I keep 14 fishes + some shrimp and corals. My water parameters is ok except for NO3 which I constantly change water every friday (at most 1 hr job including mixing of fish food for the week).

[]

Hei, thanks for your replies! OK, hands itchy liao, Reborn opens on Sat rite? Have a VERY good mind to pop down today and get that fish, haha!

Checked nitrite last night, it fell even lower, but will continue monitoring since some cyanobacteria started growing last week. Very bad sign rite? Will get more macros as well ... maybe the furry mossy type, since they look more hardy than caulerpas. I even added one mangrove plant in there, but it isn't growing well, just 3 leaves. Any pf u have exp in growing these?

LR is still too ex leh, buddy.

Regards,
    Hong Yee

magroves need alot of light! i tried n mine died! []

try getting this......er dunno if u can c well....

this bagger is very ez to keep... i hv no problems wif this guy at all.. no my whole 2.5ft refu is covered wif it! they grow lke crazy. i only started wif a handful of those..kenny from reefworld gave me free.
    oh i dose iron too...but stopped now. cos no more n lazy to buy so far so good!
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Spiff, your pic didn't come out leh. Anyway I went down to get that sailfin tang, haha. Plus a large piece of feather caulerpa.

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hongyee, sailfin tangs are very territorial.. i'm afraid to tell this.. chances are, u will not be able to put another tang of similar shape.. it is very aggressive...
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.