Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Help needed with DIY CO2 reactor!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help needed with DIY CO2 reactor!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear bro/sis,

Would like to seek some advice from you all. I don't know if this is the correct section to post. Please forgive me if I'm into wrong section.

I had recently DIY a co2 reactor but do not know if this is working or is redundent. I'm injecting at 3 bubble count.

Would appreciate if anyone can advice me:

(1) If my DIY reactor is ok or need some more modification to make it better??
    (2) How do I know if my reactor is working. I understand that by reading PH will know. I measure and it was from initial 7.4 to about 6.8-6.9 after co2 is injected for about 4hrs. Is the reactor working??
    (3) I saw lots of fine bubbles after co2 is injected. Is it normal?
    (4) Can't see any bubbling from my plants. Is it ok??
    (5) Is the bubble count enough??
    (6) Am I doing anything additional if I were to combine this reactor I DIY together with NA reactor??

Hope to hear some advice from you all soon.

Thanks for your time.

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I am no expert but here's my reply..

(1) I suppose co2 will tend to accumulate at the top of the tube where your ceramic rings are housed, so make sure it is sealed properly, else it co2 will escape.

(2) I would say yes. co2 dissolved in water forming carbonic acid hence lowering ph. (this is what I understand, perhaps others can comment)

(3) Fine bubbles exiting from your DIY reactor? Well, no comments whether it is ok or not, since there're those who found the 'misting' technique to be better, yet there are those who swear by the dissolve co2 is better school of thought. But fine bubble probably means your bubble per second is too high or the powerhead is too powerful, hence there's no chance for the injected co2 to be completely dissolved.

(4) Again.. there're people who wants to see their plants bubble, there're those who don't care. But what sort of plants are your having? This will help others comments.

(5) Depend on your tank size. Which you never state.

(6) I think it will definitely help to improve the co2 injection. But do keep a lookout on how your fishes behave... they may end up gasping for air at the surface of the tank which is always a bad sign and indication that you're overdoing it.

Hope my comments helped.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply. Am grateful to that.

Will try to change the size of the pump to see if there's any improvement to it. I'm having a 3x1.5x1.8 tank.

By the way Eric, 'misting' effect is caused by what?? Will slower flow rate causes 'mist' effect too??

I tried using both my DIY ractor and NA reactor together, my fishes are ok. They are not floating up to gasp for air too. So I think it's ok.

Regards

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Misting is where fine co2 bubbles are directed at the plants... some people prefers it.

I think reducing the flow rate of the powerhead (if you can do that) will give the co2 more time to be dissolved.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I am using a Tom Barr's co2 reactor but I am using a powerhead that has a air inlet. The venturi tube is connected on the top instead at the side. I am using the impella to mist up the co2..So far so good.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Bro Eric,

Yup, I change to a smaller pump. Situation seems to have improvement. Will monitor these few days.

Bro Stephen Chung,

Actually I wanted to drill a hole in my DIY reactor to act as a venturi but my skill in drilling not that good so worried will break the whole reactor.

Regards

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by zeek_fon View Post
    Hi Bro Eric,

Yup, I change to a smaller pump. Situation seems to have improvement. Will monitor these few days.

Bro Stephen Chung,

Actually I wanted to drill a hole in my DIY reactor to act as a venturi but my skill in drilling not that good so worried will break the whole reactor.

Regards
    zeek_fon,

That indeed quite true. I almost break mine. The drill pit stuck inside the reactor. I am using those drill that use for model making. luckily, I managed to get the drill bit out without damaging to my reactor.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    to minimize the risk of breaking your reactor while drilling, use a small diameter drill bit to drill a pilot hole first. enlarge the hole by repeated drilling with slightly bigger diameter drill bit each time until the desired hole size.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Bro Tawauboy for your guidance.

Regards

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bubbling requires a balance of high light and CO2. But ultimately depend on the plant type.
    I'm back!