Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fish alway diying

Feedback Score

fish alway diying

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi all. this is my problem. bought a 1ft tank for wife and kids, put in tetrax6, red pathyx2, red suckerx1 and guppiesx3. next day all guppies dies. so thinking that water is dirty bought a hanging filter that flows out filtered water. all fish are happy for two weeks. then a few days ago, found white fluffy stuff on my pathy and sucker, hours later sucker dies. put blue liquid in and some salt. few hours pathy dies and tetra x2 go crazy. next morining tetrax2 dies. fed up, after work removed fish and washed filter and gravel with hot water. hours later filled with water thats has being stand for some hours. put in new fish: tetrax10 suckerx1 tiger looking fishx2, guppies x3 and red molliesx10. Hours later my 1 guppy is now swimming up-sidedown. think its go in die.spoke too soon he died now. what to do guys?[]

Feedback Score

fish alway diying

hi all. this is my problem. bought a 1ft tank for wife and kids, put in tetrax6, red pathyx2, red suckerx1 and guppiesx3. next day all guppies dies. so thinking that water is dirty bought a hanging filter that flows out filtered water. all fish are happy for two weeks. then a few days ago, found white fluffy stuff on my pathy and sucker, hours later sucker dies. put blue liquid in and some salt. few hours pathy dies and tetra x2 go crazy. next morining tetrax2 dies. fed up, after work removed fish and washed filter and gravel with hot water. hours later filled with water thats has being stand for some hours. put in new fish: tetrax10 suckerx1 tiger looking fishx2, guppies x3 and red molliesx10. Hours later my 1 guppy is now swimming up-sidedown. think its go in die.spoke too soon he died now. what to do guys?[]

Feedback Score

fish alway diying

Feedback Score

fish alway diying

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    whao... that's quite a lot of fish in a 1ft tank in the first place. i'm quite sure you haven't read about the new tank syndrome, the nitrogen cycle or the cycling of a tank. read up on them at http://www.notcatfish.com/chemistry/index.htm . it's a good site to start with.
    anyway here's my summary, you can't expect fish to live by just throwing them into a tank of water. there's more knowledge behind fish keeping than you think. try to give away those fish you are having now to pple with established tanks to avoid more deaths.

Feedback Score
    thanks but its my wife who wants so many. we are all learning. but why always the guppies die? btw its a 1ft by 1ft hexagon shaped tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my recommedation is not to keep too many fish.. [:]
    u can tell your wife that if put too many fish in a small tank.. the weakest fish will die first... and of cos' there are many many other reason why fishes die.. like water condition not mature yet etc etc... my exp is the smaller the tank the harder to maintain the water condition.. unless you do water change very freq

ok.. that my point of view...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    tazman, better do some reading, get your wife to read along too. I'd hate to be your fish []
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yah. Go do some reading first. Anyway, due to excessive selection breeding of guppy, it's no longer as hardy as last time. 1ft tank really too much lah. Should let tank settle down before adding fish
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Anonymous Guest/Not Logged In
    some suggestions: maybe keep less fish, how about 5 of the same kind. can't follow the fish shop style, they change water everyday, partially. maybe cut down on feeding too much? beginners always like to feed them constantly, like myself when i was a kid. don't use gravel first. use a little salt.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    your tank is overstocked. thats why your water quality is bad. my suggestion is that your water had chlorine. get a dechlorinator.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    tazman, just keep a pair of guppies after u have cycled your 1 ft tank. Add in a box filter and use dechlorinator or water conditioner during water change.Change 20% of water volume once a week. Always remember to wash the cotton filter meduim with your tank water. Feed the guppies sparingly, making sure they can finish the food before u add some more.Then your fish will survive and u will enjoy fish keeping.

Feedback Score
    thanks guys i will follow yr words.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    at this point of time, are you clear about why your fish actually die? the url provided by acid fish will tell u very clearly
    here's the lowdown
    fish crap
    crap rots
    when crap rots, it produces ammonia and other wastes
    ammonia is acted on by bacteria to become nitrite and eventually nitrate
    all 3 will kill your fish
    a lot of fish in a small tank means you have a very high ammonia/nitrite concentration
    this is why your fish are dying

only one thing to say
    cut down on the number of fish

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if you want to keep so many fish, i'd suggest you get a bigger tank.
    "time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    Then your fish will survive and u will enjoy fish keeping.
    ----------------
    not to mention that the fishes will enjoy living in your tank, as opposed to being dead.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    thanks guys lesson learnt.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    tazman,

Tell your wife the next time she wants so many fish that most of the fish will die coz the tank is still not stable yet.

Should starts with a few fish... 3-4 max.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 9/8/2002 1:41:33 AM

----------------
    Same as me when first keep fish also same size tank.

Thought my tank have compartment to put filter, bio-balls, amonia chip, etc, fishes always die. Never last more than 2 weeks.

By the way I kept about 7-9 fishes in that tank. After I upgraded to a 2 feet, no fish die till now even though I did not even cycle the new tank. Guess the size of the tank matters.

So far my fishes has been with me for the last 8 months so far so good growing big too

Feedback Score
    great adivce. doing as told. thanks to all will u guys updated on state of fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast