Advertise here
    I'm A Newbie Pls Don't Flame Me

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: MY Fish tank just tio wipeout

Sorry to hear that. Know whats the problem yet?
    Getting poison everyday

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

become angel.... fish

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by edw7636 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Know whats the problem yet?
    I believe it due to bacteria from the new tropical fish that my parent put inside the main tank

I should had put in more effort in removing them from the main tank and quarantine them

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: MY Fish tank just got wipeout

There can be many reasons as to why your fishes died. Disease from the new additions is one, but there could have been other issues at hand too. You might want to give further details on the tank. Mass tank wipe outs are normally caused by ammonia spikes, and usually not from disease unless it was a severe case of ich or velvet.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mass fish deaths overnight IMO rare. Unless huge ammonia spike or someone do stupid action. ( as in pour bleach lol)

May it's a smaller tank like 1 feet?
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    There can be many reasons as to why your fishes died. Disease from the new additions is one, but there could have been other issues at hand too. You might want to give further details on the tank. Mass tank wipe outs are normally caused by ammonia spikes, and usually not from disease unless it was a severe case of ich or velvet.

From one of the few dead fish their head/fin like got blood clod
    plus some got fin rots

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Takaco, I've taken a great deal of time in searching all your started threads and posts.. and it sure paints a very morbid picture of how you're treading in this hobby.

In one post you've mentioned that you were looking for a heater (for a tank in Singapore that's very weird). You mentioned that you had discus, platy, guppies and plecos in the same tank (not sure how big this tank is). Then you asked for places where you can get 100pcs of neon tetra.. And the most worrying question you've put forward to this forum is asking whether two sponge filters is enough for a 2ft tank.

Now gathering the information from all the questions you've asked in that short period of time, I'm going to assume that your main tank is a 2ft stocked with discus, platy, guppies, plecos and at least 100 neon tetras.. running on 2 sponge filters. In fact, you could have added some wild-caught guppies (if you actually went and acted on your question on catching wild guppies). We also know that your tank was hit by ich a few months back and that was a 30L tank (which is smaller than a 211 tank, more like a 1ft cube).

You seem to be asking the right questions, but it seems like the questions have come a little bit too late..

Now that your tank has been wiped out, let's start fresh ok? This next part will be humbling and could tempt you to lie a little bit.. I urge you not to.

Please provide the following information in its entire truth. This is the ONLY way we can get a clear picture as to what happened, the possible reasons it happened, the prevention methods in the future.. and more importantly, tips on how to be a better fish keeper.

- Tank Size
    - Filtration (List out all the filters you're using, including the filter media)
    - Substrate (Gravel)
    - Lifestock (List out all the species, and the quantity of each type of fish)
    - Age of the tank (How long since the first day you put water into this tank. If you've reset this tank recently, use that as Day 1)
    - Ornaments (Anything you put in the tank as decoration)
    - Plants (Try your best to list out the scientific name, if not just the common trade name that you bought it at)
    - Fertilizers, Medication, Water Conditioners (Anything that you add into the tank, list out the brands etc)
    - Water change regime (How do you do your water changes? Do you treat the water that you put into the tank? Before or after? What water treatment/conditioners do you use? Everything regarding water change)

This will paint a crystal clear picture as to what went wrong and how we can fix it.. this has to be an honest-to-god-true-to-your-heart account. Otherwise, our advice could be irrelevant and misleading. You shouldn't be embarrassed at any of the answers you give even if it is almost criminally wrong because we're all still learning from each other here. At some point early on in our own hobby journey we've definitely made the same (if not worse) mistakes as you have. I know I've definitely had my fair share of shockers myself. But in any case if you're embarrassed to list out certain things, you can PM me. If there are certain things that I'm unsure of, I will consult very experienced fish keepers that I know before giving you advice.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ecalyte View Post
    Takaco, I've taken a great deal of time in searching all your started threads and posts.. and it sure paints a very morbid picture of how you're treading in this hobby.

In one post you've mentioned that you were looking for a heater (for a tank in Singapore that's very weird). You mentioned that you had discus, platy, guppies and plecos in the same tank (not sure how big this tank is). Then you asked for places where you can get 100pcs of neon tetra.. And the most worrying question you've put forward to this forum is asking whether two sponge filters is enough for a 2ft tank.

Now gathering the information from all the questions you've asked in that short period of time, I'm going to assume that your main tank is a 2ft stocked with discus, platy, guppies, plecos and at least 100 neon tetras.. running on 2 sponge filters. In fact, you could have added some wild-caught guppies (if you actually went and acted on your question on catching wild guppies). We also know that your tank was hit by ich a few months back and that was a 30L tank (which is smaller than a 211 tank, more like a 1ft cube).

You seem to be asking the right questions, but it seems like the questions have come a little bit too late..

Now that your tank has been wiped out, let's start fresh ok? This next part will be humbling and could tempt you to lie a little bit.. I urge you not to.

Please provide the following information in its entire truth. This is the ONLY way we can get a clear picture as to what happened, the possible reasons it happened, the prevention methods in the future.. and more importantly, tips on how to be a better fish keeper.

- Tank Size
    - Filtration (List out all the filters you're using, including the filter media)
    - Substrate (Gravel)
    - Age of the tank (How long since the first day you put water into this tank. If you've reset this tank recently, use that as Day 1)
    - Plants (Try your best to list out the scientific name, if not just the common trade name that you bought it at)
    - Fertilizers, Medication, Water Conditioners (Anything that you add into the tank, list out the brands etc)
    - Water change regime (How do you do your water changes? Do you treat the water that you put into the tank? Before or after? What water treatment/conditioners do you use? Everything regarding water change)

This will paint a crystal clear picture as to what went wrong and how we can fix it.. this has to be an honest-to-god-true-to-your-heart account. Otherwise, our advice could be irrelevant and misleading. You shouldn't be embarrassed at any of the answers you give even if it is almost criminally wrong because we're all still learning from each other here. At some point early on in our own hobby journey we've definitely made the same (if not worse) mistakes as you have. I know I've definitely had my fair share of shockers myself. But in any case if you're embarrassed to list out certain things, you can PM me. If there are certain things that I'm unsure of, I will consult very experienced fish keepers that I know before giving you advice.

Okay more of the threads i start were thing i hope to have it or do it .

1. 100 neon tetra - i'm trying to ask was this deal real ? And i never bought 100 neon tetra.
    2.What type of heater - That point of time im looking for a hangover filter from other forum , the guy told me he has a heater to let go too both filter n heater for $10 that why i ask the qns
    3.Air Driven and Sponge Filter- i planning to get both to save power and reduce the noisy.
    4. the tank that all the guppies died was a 2ft tank fill with less then 13 fishes. The small tank was a older tank not in use

what filter i use i will explain later busy

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Guppy Tank died ?! in a 2ft tank ?! did u just changed water or there's a change in temp ?! less than 13 fishes .... did u use that as a testing of the cycling of the tank ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by takaco View Post
    Okay more of the threads i start were thing i hope to have it or do it .

1. 100 neon tetra - i'm trying to ask was this deal real ? And i never bought 100 neon tetra.
    2.What type of heater - That point of time im looking for a hangover filter from other forum , the guy told me he has a heater to let go too both filter n heater for $10 that why i ask the qns
    3.Air Driven and Sponge Filter- i planning to get both to save power and reduce the noisy.
    4. the tank that all the guppies died was a 2ft tank fill with less then 13 fishes. The small tank was a older tank not in use

what filter i use i will explain later busy

Ok

Help to answer the listed questions I had please.. this will paint a much better picture.

- Tank Size - Please provide complete dimensions. 2ft length, ? width, ? height
    - Substrate (Gravel)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ecalyte View Post
    Ok

Help to answer the listed questions I had please.. this will paint a much better picture.

- Tank Size - Please provide complete dimensions. 2ft length, ? width, ? height
    - Substrate (Gravel)
    1.Tank 2ft length width 1ft height more then 1 ft
    2. Filter - i using the air driven filter
    xy-2008%20aquarium%20corner%20filter.jpg
    I got the same media as the pix
    second filter i using
    Is a powerhead plus bio filter(Gravel,ceramic,Straws and form) DIY type... noisy
    Gravel
    1267719776-44675600.jpg

Lifestock : I Have 3Ram,3Platy,8Guppies

My last mass cleaning was on October

Plants - Anubias nana

Water conditioner
    a18d06a28f6f538bb7384697e462b676.jpg
    Small amount of aquarium salt at time

Water Change- 20% water change once a week ( How i use siphon draw out the water den use the water to clean all the media ) After that i add aloe vera anti stress coat + to removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia i will stir it den wait for a few min den add into the tank while pouring i will use my hand to lik hold the water )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Red marks on the heads and fins are consistent with ammonia poisoning. I believe our tap water contains more chloramine than we expected.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Red marks on the heads and fins are consistent with ammonia poisoning. I believe our tap water contains more chloramine than we expected.

My old tank i used the same product no problem
    a18d06a28f6f538bb7384697e462b676.jpg

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Water Change- 20% water change once a week ( How i use siphon draw out the water den use the water to clean all the media )
    You mean you clean the filter media once a week?

If you do, you have to stop. Reason is the filter is meant to be left alone once it's set up because if you clean it too often, the bacteria colonies in there will be disrupted, which is especially detrimental because you're using a small filter with a low volume of filter media like this. Most of us clean our filter at most once every 6 months, or once a year.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by |squee| View Post
    You mean you clean the filter media once a week?

If you do, you have to stop. Reason is the filter is meant to be left alone once it's set up because if you clean it too often, the bacteria colonies in there will be disrupted, which is especially detrimental because you're using a small filter with a low volume of filter media like this. Most of us clean our filter at most once every 6 months, or once a year.

Oh my bad i clean my filter once every 3 week only water change onces per week my english failed

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Refering to the air driven sponge, the ceramic and stones just leave it will do. Only the soft white wool ( for filtering tiny particles ) and Black hard sponge ( for filtering large waste particles ) can replace if it get real brownish or black .

Hard to imagine a wipeout in any tank or at least I have not seen one yet. Mostly the fish will be struggling halfway breathing near the surface.
    So the rams and platy survive the wipeout or ?

Just curious, do you inspect your tank daily for any sign of unsual behavior or water conditions? Fin rot and stuff often dont cause immediate death imo.
    Getting poison everyday

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by edw7636 View Post
    Refering to the air driven sponge, the ceramic and stones just leave it will do. Only the soft white wool ( for filtering tiny particles ) and Black hard sponge ( for filtering large waste particles ) can replace if it get real brownish or black .

Hard to imagine a wipeout in any tank or at least I have not seen one yet. Mostly the fish will be struggling halfway breathing near the surface.
    So the rams and platy survive the wipeout or ?

Just curious, do you inspect your tank daily for any sign of unsual behavior or water conditions? Fin rot and stuff often dont cause immediate death imo.
    At first the ram were the survivor but while doing mass cleaning they belly up

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

At first the ram were the survivor but while doing mass cleaning they belly up
    never be too anxious, can only be too cautious. take this with a pinch as may not apply to everything.

Scared of changing too little or too much? age water plus use treatment like anti chlorine/chloramine just in case.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Could it be the lfs sell sick fish to my parent causing my tank fish to all sick ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast