Country
    Singapore

cory lose sense of balance

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Have anyone seen this ?

One of my leopard cory cannot balance itself anymore, its tail keeps rising, which results in a dipping posture, it has to find some support from the plants to prevent itself from tilting.
    One other baby leopard becomes extremely inactive as well. I am very worried of them.

This happens only after I did a major water-change (50%), to get rid of my algae problem. I also increased my dosage of co2, from 1 diy to 2 diy. There is a steep decrease of ph value (from 6.6 to 6 now), my KH buffer seems not to be able to help much.

I realise my ottos are inactive as well. Strangely, my rummy nose and cardinals, which are supposed to be the most sensitive fishes remains the healthiest.

I have since taken out one DIY co2, and add more KH buffer. Do anyone have any good suggestion?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Have anyone seen this ?

One of my leopard cory cannot balance itself anymore, its tail keeps rising, which results in a dipping posture, it has to find some support from the plants to prevent itself from tilting.
    One other baby leopard becomes extremely inactive as well. I am very worried of them.

This happens only after I did a major water-change (50%), to get rid of my algae problem. I also increased my dosage of co2, from 1 diy to 2 diy. There is a steep decrease of ph value (from 6.6 to 6 now), my KH buffer seems not to be able to help much.

I realise my ottos are inactive as well. Strangely, my rummy nose and cardinals, which are supposed to be the most sensitive fishes remains the healthiest.

I have since taken out one DIY co2, and add more KH buffer. Do anyone have any good suggestion?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Have anyone seen this ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Have anyone seen this ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Aiyah, don't just dump in kH buffer. It will stress the fishes even more. Never increase kH more than 2° within a day. You will find that adding kH do not reduce CO2 level.

If you want to reduce the CO2 level, use an air pump.

BC[:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I only add in one degree increase of KH.

I thought of the air-pump, but am worried of introducing too much ripple that will not help the plant, and cultivate
    algae. Maybe for a short while is fine, but what will be a good interval for putting airpump to make sure we strike a
    balance between keeping algae in control and helping the fishes now?

Actually, my cories have been healthy for the past 5 weeks, and I thought this should only be a temporary problem due to the sudden increase in CO2 injection.

So my qn is ...

Are cories extremely sensitive to PH and CO2 overdoes?
    My rummies and cardinals are doing fine.

thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Corys usually can tahan slightly higher CO2. But Ottos are sensitive. Once you see all the ottos near the water surface, there is probably too much CO2.

What's your KH? pH value of 6 is pretty low. But my tank is around there also: pH 6.0~6.5 & KH 3~4. My corys and ottos are doing fine.

Looks like a swim bladder problem in your cory. The big water change may have stressed the fish somehow. You conditioned the water before adding to the tank?

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I didn't use conditioned water, though I left the water soaked in anti-chlorine for abt 30 mins b4 introducing to tank.

Now the Leopards are still alive, but panting at the bottom of the tank. The leopard also seems to regain its balance.
    One yamato found dead - opaque - slight reddish
    2 of the 3 ottos I have appeared inactive, unusual.
    SAE, Mollies, Carinals and Rummies are healthy.

my PH now is somewhere around 6.2-6.4
    my KH around 4-5
    I don't think it's co2 saturation, as my previous readings has always been around this figure as well.

However, I notice some ammonia level (the lowest scale), because my tank is supposed to be cycled 2 weeks ago, this is strange.
    I think the 50% water change and Filter washing (soaked in the tank water) may have caused this. Added bacteria when I changed water. My Nitrite is zero, my nitrate is around 12-20 ppm

I really donno what's the problem, well maybe the ammonia. Seems strange only leopards and ottos and prawn (the ground dwellers) are affected

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Your tank will be able to tahan a nite of aeration to get rid of CO2 without algae problems. With KH at that level, and pH so low, its an indication of CO2 overdose. Too much CO2 is not good for the fishes, whether they show the symptoms or not. Maybe stop the CO2 injection for now, let the tank settle to a more comfy level. Perhaps you should re-mix your DIY with less yeast to reduce the bubble rate.

If you have ammonia at all, it probably means your plants and bacteria are not working... OR your bio-load is too heavy. Even < 1ppm ammonia is already bad for the fish.

What media do you have in your filter?
    How much and what plants?
    How many and what fishes/shrimps?
    Lighting wattage and time?
    Tank size?
    CO2 bubble rate?
    Any wood in the water? Is the water yellowish from the wood?
    What kind of substrate?
    How long did you let it cycle?
    Fert of any form?

As for algae... if you give your plants sufficient lights and CO2, the most likely cause is nutrient imbalance... especially NO3 and PO4.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    fight fire liao
    change water and add air pump
    see if the fish recover

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    tragedy ...

I just accerelate the death of my fishes/shrimps
    My tank becomes really cloudy, then I realise the filter is not working, perhaps the wire becomes loose and got detached for the last 20 hrs.

death toll - 2 leopards, 3 shrimps
    I think one more otto is near death
    The ottos are just too inactive.
    Rummies's red is no longer that red sigh ...

Just changed 30% of water.
    Wait and see tommorrow

What media do you have in your filter?
    mine is a jewel tank, so i m using those fine, coarse sponge

How much and what plants?
    Hair grass, glosso, water sprite, sunset hydrophilla, e,tennalus(**** I donno how to spell), green cammomba, umbrella plants, and 2 plants I failed to ID.

How many and what fishes/shrimps?
    before death ...
    abt 20 fishes/shrimps altogether

Lighting wattage and time?
    36 watt and 10 hrs

Tank size?
    2 ft, 1ft , 1ft
    CO2 bubble rate?
    I don have bubble counter, but since the diy is still new, usually around 2-3 bubbles/sec

Any wood in the water? Is the water yellowish from the wood?
    driftwood, no water yellowish
    What kind of substrate?
    geesh not sure ... but I used those pre-processed gravel, with a layer of JBL fertilizer

How long did you let it cycle?
    30 days, now abt 45 days

Fert of any form?
    Other than JBL, I used Seacam Flourish, and Horti tab

Looks like the most possible suspect is still co2 injection, cos I put slightly more yeast(just a little more). But won't the fishes swim to the surface if there is too much co2?

thanks for the advice

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Everything else looks fine, so its likely the CO2. As for ammonia, was it before or after filter shutdown? You might want to consider using EhfiSubStrat or equivalent materials to increase the bacteria capacity of your filter. Put it between the fine filter wool and course sponge pads.

Too much CO2 does not equate lack of oxygen. Fish will go to the surface only if there isn't enough oxygen.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So there is still danger to fishes if there is too much co2 even though o2 is not lacking?

I am always learning ...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am also always learning... CO2 Poisoning article on TheKrib.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/11/2002 11:59:42 PM

Too much CO2 does not equate lack of oxygen. Fish will go to the surface only if there isn't enough oxygen.
    ----------------
    Too much CO2 (same for NO2) will impede the oxygen intake even though there is sufficient oxygen in the water. The fish will instinctively goes to the surface as if there is lack of oxygen.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Benny,

No offence ok... but you should put your fish top priority next is your plants. Take care of your fish first, plants are more forgiving, with time the algae problem can be solved.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]