Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some help here..

Feedback Score
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Choy,

If the height is 30cm, no problems at all. If the height is 45cm, then it's about standard (at least, here in Malaysia )

My only concern would be the black silicone. Our local manufacturers curse this silicon saying it's not as resilient as the regular ones. Even the branded American ones are no better.

You might want to tear down the tank, scrape off ALL the old silicone and reapply a new layer, just to be safe.

HTH

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/13/2002 11:53:26 PM

Choy,

If the height is 30cm, no problems at all. If the height is 45cm, then it's about standard (at least, here in Malaysia )

My only concern would be the black silicone. Our local manufacturers curse this silicon saying it's not as resilient as the regular ones. Even the branded American ones are no better.

You might want to tear down the tank, scrape off ALL the old silicone and reapply a new layer, just to be safe.

HTH

----------------
    Hi, the height is 45cm. Tear off the old silicone! [:0] gotta be kidding. the tank actually came with an internal overflow which wasn't very good. After removing it, I'm still not able to remove all traces of the black silicone that remains stuck to one size of the tank []
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    too] told me the small amt of space I have for the sand [L X B X H = 5" X 6" X 6"] is too little and not worth doing it, might as well change all to bio balls and sponge.
    i agree

And may I know how much lighting do i need? Going to have corals [hard and soft], and a little 2-4 fishes.
    i recommend using MH.. it should solve all your lighting problems.. and go for those bulbs at least with 9500K.. the max i experience is 10'000K.. but some of the forumers here have tried 20'000K...

narkosis, yes i know that soft corals are not reef builders and are easy to propagate and keep.. but my thinking is that, if ppl do not know how to keep them and keep replacing them.. it will just be as destructive.. coz some of the softies reside on the LR or reef... nevertheless, i have seen some aquarists propagating them.. me is one of them.. until the recent heat wave decimated them.. thus, me have decided that, until i get my own place and with the budget to blow, i.e. chiller, then i will try to keep them again.. but again.. no hard corals...[]

anyway, i have seen the destruction of the reef on TV and in my early years of keeping marine, i wanted everything and destroyed quite a few myself.. as such, i would like to recommend ppl to read up first b4 keeping them.. har.. me sounds like a conservationist.. hahaha.. []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Other than MH lighting..

Is 4 X 36W PL enough light for growing corals? Or is a 70W MH enough? The lighting will be for the corals and clams tt I'll be geting at a later time.

I'll will not be having much lights till much later [need to save up].

Hence, I'll be having fish only till abt yr end.
    Thank you
    The key to success is patience. If that fails, screw the guy in front of you!!

er i dun think 4 pl is enuff for clams. unless u getting those brown kind then they will survive but not thrive.if u can afford mh,do get them.
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    You have enough PL lighting to keep some LPS and softies. Shrooms and colts will do well. Most Leathers will be ok.
    Nemenzophyllia turbida(Fox coral),
    Blastomussa sp.(Pineapple coral?),
    Cynarina lacymalis(button or meat coral),
    Scolymia sp.(meat coral?),
    Caulastrea sp.(candy cane coral),
    brown coloured Favia sp.,
    Trachyphyllia geoffroyi(open brain),
    most Euphyllia sp.
    and Plerogyra sinuosa(bubble coral) should be fine provided water parameters are norminal.
    Stay away from all SPS which need bright light & strong water movement and also Galaxea sp.(durian coral?),
    Catalapyllia jardinei(elegance coral),
    Goniastrea sp.(Brain coral?) and Goniopora sp.(flower pot coral).
    Sorry I'm not too familiar with common names.
    When you do get MH, you might want to calculate the cost of a chiller into the total too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... Then I've got to save a much longer time.

It's ok if the fishes only have 2 X 18W FL rite?

I dun think I can get another chiller as I already have one for my fresh water tank....

Guess I'll just mount it higher, with lots of fans.

But what about my filtration? Will a built in over flow be enough for rearing clams and corals? Is the filter enough to keep the water quality high?

Thanks

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It's ok if the fishes only have 2 X 18W FL rite?
    yes.. coz they dun need lights to photosynthesis.. ahhaha..just for viewing purposes..

But what about my filtration? Will a built in over flow be enough for rearing clams and corals? Is the filter enough to keep the water quality high?
    filtration is based on what is your bio-load and how much can your water is being filtered per hour...
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Kel,

Great job on propagating your soft corals. I do that too, as well as for Acropora, but as you noted for SPS, you'd need a chiller to handle the heat generated by the MHs (I use 400W).

Incidentally, what's the norm for chillers in Singapore? Do you guys usually get the self-contained Teco units or those with a compressor outside the apartment and the heat exchanger next to the tank? Over here, the tendency is to go for the 2nd type, 'cos they're a lot more cost effective and can handle much larger tanks.

Typical e.g. : 1 HP compressor with titanium heat exchanger, digital controller and sensor + installation is about S$1130. Sounds expensive until you realize that this unit is strong enough to handle a 1700 litre or about 450 USG of water (10' tank).

Smaller units are also available, but they don't cost much less. A 1/2 HP unit would be about S$900, good enough for up to a 6' tank.

What do you think of our prices?

Rog

Feedback Score
    Zerocool,
    You might want to read this article. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...02/feature.htm
    It's about the plenum system, I use it too.

Narkosis,
    The 1 HP chiller is very very reasonably priced!!!
    I would love to get my hands on one too! A new 1/2 HP Teco here cost S$1500![]
    My tank is very heatie, but herbal tea doesn't work!

Feedback Score
    Tanzy,

The main reason it's so "cheap" is because its not made for the aquarium industry. If you take a look at "aquarium" equipment, it's always more expensive than the industrial counterparts. Typical e.g. would be MH lights !!

Feedback Score
    Heehee,

That's right...
    Gonna DIY MHs...

and save lots and lots of $$$$$$...

Hmmm... maybe also a customised chiller...

u can get an industrial pandent for only $70.comes wif ballast,ignitor etc.

the bulbs r the main killer. unless u willing to use 5500k ones

nark how abtz taking pics of ur tank??? sounds good already!
    btw, wat r the good shops in malaysia to get reef stuff? equipment etc. im sure i would get coupla acros across.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    $70 for MH lights!! May I know where to grt them? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Hi Spiff,

You know where I can get e ballast for MH locally ?
    Decide to DIY MHs ...
    Maybe might supplement the MH with those new T5 tubes.

mmmmmm i dunno where but hon got his for ard tt price.
    u can try to search at eguide.com.sg.

phang if can get those fl hoods n jus modify it. remove all the stuff, buy new reflector, buy the ballast n bulb holder etc. n there! retrofit mh hood! be sure to add 2 fans in there too, to provide ventilation. also u hv to get tempered glass instead of normal float glass to shlied the bulb from water splashes n uv. cedric's normal float glass cracked n shattered in his tank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12