Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Need some help here..

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Am thinking of changing my 2.5 feet tank to a marine tank [caught the marine bug ]

Here are my tank diamensions: 30" X 15" X 16"

I am thinking of building a internal overflow. Much cheaper and alot less hardware. I have a spare canister, so will be using it as well, unless I dun need it.

Is it possible for me to rear some fish [2-4 goby] , a shrimp... And in the future, 1 clam and lots of corals??

Or can I at least rear a squid and lots of corals? Saw this cute squids at my house aqurium here.. []

Or are there further options, like DIY slump, overflow box, wet dry...

I am on a low low budget here, as I have a planted tank as well already..

Do give any possible cheap suggestions.

Thank you
    The key to success is patience. If that fails, screw the guy in front of you!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Need some help here..

Am thinking of changing my 2.5 feet tank to a marine tank [caught the marine bug ]

I am thinking of building a internal overflow. Much cheaper and alot less hardware. I have a spare canister, so will be using it as well, unless I dun need it.

Is it possible for me to rear some fish [2-4 goby] , a shrimp... And in the future, 1 clam and lots of corals??

Or can I at least rear a squid and lots of corals? Saw this cute squids at my house aqurium here.. []

Thank you

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Need some help here..

Thank you

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Need some help here..

Thank you

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    no harm having more filtration right?

2-4 gobies are fine..as well as a shrimps.. for corals... u need to take note that corals strive in temp between 24-28.. and depending on what u are keeping.. they have different requirements..

if u want to keep squid, no corals.. and i dun advocate keeping them.. coz if they squirt out black ink.. good luck.. change water time.. and if they feel on live food, good luck my friend.. it is very difficult to get live seafood for them, not to mention that it is expensive as well...

first, u need to know the difference first... but i recommend that b4 u start on it.. do go to the FAQ and read up on the post which i send on books to read up.. it will help u to understand the hobby better.. then anything else, post, we be glad to help u out.. right not, it is alot to type.. coz your qns are a bit too general.. sorry.[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I thought marine tank must have minimum 10mm glass? most normal tank of this size only 6mm. Maybe not suitable leh. [:0]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm.. ok

Decided on this setup: Custom internal overflow.

My current idea: to seperate a back portion of the tank for internal overflow.

compartment is seperate into 3 parts, the initial overflow into few stacks of sponge, then into a section of bioballs. It then flow into the 2nd chamber when there is 6" of sand ["live sand" if i can find], after which it will then flow through some fine sponge and finally to the submerage pump to be pump back into the tank.

BUT: - do i use bio balls? or just sponge and coral chips?

- Or should i have 6" of sand in both of the compartment?

I'm planning to have more corals then fish, so water quality is very important. But i dun have the space for a slump [] Perheps, someone has better luck in filtration, and would suggest a good point to start.

I'll like to combat the filtration problem first, rearing of fish comes 2nd

Thank you

Feedback Score
    Hi,

From the specs of the tank given, and your intention to build a sump at the back of the tank : results in very limited space for your display.

the width for a overflow should at least be 6 inches (1/2 ft) for easy maintenance purpose. Take that from your 15 inches width leaves you only 9 inches for coral placement .. not also to mention your liverock..

Maybe suggest a sump placed along the width... less space for filtration but if using larger surface per square inch media should bring about some excellent results. also easier to fix up. My 2 cents worth....

or get a tank with a greater width....

Feedback Score
    Hi Zer,

Check your PM,

I have a 3 ft with 1/2 ft in build sump... might be letting go for a bigger project.
    If not, just see see and maybe might be some help ..

I, too have more corals (lots more) than fishes and they are doing well..

Phang

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll be seperating only half of the back

which comes to abt 15" X 6" . Instead of having at the side where I can see the "ugly" filtration guts, i'll be having it on part of the back portion.

The remaining space left is still the same.

You did mention filtration medium. What do you suggest since you also have a built in sump?

I'm thinking of sponge, bio balls, sand and fine sponge. in this order int he 3 compartment sump.

Would hope to start the cycling of the tank soon, cos my exams are coming soon... and tt would mean no DIY of anything for 2mths

Thanks for all suggestions.[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    cycling of tank will require some live stock.. i recommend getting a damsel to start off.. if not, if u can get some sand from the aquarist, u can help to shorten your cycling time.. if not, the cycling time is ard 28+++ days.. and if it is just empty tank.. i.e, just water and nothing else.. nothing will start.. u need to introduce some bacteria.. i used black molly to kick start.. and now i have a marine black molly in my tank.. hahaha[]

filtration media for the internal sump inside my tank is as such, first thing to come into contact with the water, filter wool, bio-balls... then into the sump at the bottom of the tank, where it flow thru more bio-balls, charcoal, filterwool and into the 1060 where it is pumped back to the tank...
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Zero,

If possible, try to allow some room in the internal compartment to hold a protein skimmer. You don't need something huge, since you'll be keeping mostly corals and not fish, so the bioload "in theory" should be quite low. But a protein skimmer is still a buffer against many things going wrong in your tank, especially when you're not around to take notice and/or take action. I believe in Singapore, you can get el-cheapo skimmers less than $20.

Feedback Score
    Choy,

The thickness of the glass is normally dependent on the water pressure in the tank, which is directly related to the height of the tank. For tanks up to 18" tall, 6mm is quite standard. Then there's 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 15mm and even 19mm or more. If your tank is 18" tall, but you plan on putting a ton of LR in it, then you could consider using 12mm glass just for the bottom piece and not necessarily for the vertical ones. To be safe, you could upgrade the thickness to the next thickness, just in case.

Feedback Score
    Zero,

I'm actually with only 2 compartments. Wanted 3 but space would be too small for easy maintenance..

Reckon that if the filtration purposes is mechanical and to reduce Ammonia and nitrite to 0 levels, then one compartment would be enough... just get better media.
    My the other compartment houses the pump that feeds water to a skimmer and back to the main tank...
    And Its works...[]

Narkosis is right.... Marine Tanks with Skimmers will get you a long long long way....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeah, i've plan to have 3 so tt I can have one with 6" live sand and a protein skimmer as well.

My filtration is more for bio load control. I've got a seperate canister for my mechanical filtration.

May I know where to get the $20+ protein skimmer? The places tt I found sell them for $40+

Can't wait for my tank to start cycling.... but still have a long way to go.... have to strip current fresh water tank, cut out old silicone, glue the pieces back, and add the internal slump + + + + + + + + []

Haven decide on what lightings yet.... Metal hylide or PL light?
    Not having a chiller, just 2 fans blowing along water surface and into lighting area

Thank you

i suggest pl.
    when i hv 2x 150w mh running be4 i got my chiller . the temp was abt 29 wif a giant AC fan. couldnt get it down to 28. n the topping up of water can kill! everyday abt 1-2gal of water.
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeah, i've plan to have 3 so tt I can have one with 6" live sand and a protein skimmer as well.
    wise choice, my friend..

May I know where to get the $20+ protein skimmer? The places tt I found sell them for $40+
    u can try ORCA protein skimmers.. but take note, u need a air pump with 2 outlets.. to get it start working.. u can find them at petmart

Can't wait for my tank to start cycling.... but still have a long way to go.... have to strip current fresh water tank, cut out old silicone, glue the pieces back, and add the internal slump + + + + + + + + []
    take your time.. do it slowly.. enyjoy it..

Haven decide on what lightings yet.... Metal hylide or PL light?
    well.. since u are planning to keep corals.. consider what corals.. if u going for hard corals.. go for MH.. but take note of the water temp too.. coz it is gonna shoot up.. and with hard corals.. u need lots of other equipments.. which Spiff and Cedric might want to help u out here.. coz me not into hard corals.. and trying to steer off soft corals as well.. trying every little bit to conserve the reef[:] i also recommend that u read up on the type of corals as well..

Feedback Score
    Kel,

Actually soft corals are amongst the easiest corals to keep. And someone in S'pore should try propagating them and trading them, then you won't have to worry about destroying the reefs. In any case, soft corals are not governed by the CITES act for import/export, because they're not reef builders.

Rgds,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/11/2002 11:39:49 PM

Choy,

The thickness of the glass is normally dependent on the water pressure in the tank, which is directly related to the height of the tank. For tanks up to 18" tall, 6mm is quite standard. Then there's 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 15mm and even 19mm or more. If your tank is 18" tall, but you plan on putting a ton of LR in it, then you could consider using 12mm glass just for the bottom piece and not necessarily for the vertical ones. To be safe, you could upgrade the thickness to the next thickness, just in case.
    ----------------
    I have a 80×45×30cm tank, 6mm thick with black silicone. Was toying with the idea of going marine, if I get a bigger tank for planting. You think this tank size will be OK for saltwater?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow.. thakns for fast replies.

I am currently redoing my 2.5 feet tank. Strip out the old silicone, add the filter compartments, and re-enforements on the edges.

Got a question, shoulh I just have bio balls, or keep the 2nd compartment for the 6" of sand?

My friend [does marine too] told me the small amt of space I have for the sand [L X B X H = 5" X 6" X 6"] is too little and not worth doing it, might as well change all to bio balls and sponge.

So should I change it? or keep to my original plan?

And may I know how much lighting do i need? Going to have corals [hard and soft], and a little 2-4 fishes.

Thanks ppl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast