Images
    Country
    Singapore

E. tenellus/hairgrass growth

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm thinking of starting a low-tech and low-maintenance tank. The tank will be placed beside a window, and will thus receive quite a lot of light, though not direct sunlight. Dimensions would either be 18cm or 1ft cube. I'm considering using either E. tenellus or hairgrass as foreground plants. I just want the plants to carpet the tank, but don't plan to do much subsequent pruning.

1. In such lighting conditions, will any fertiliser be required? (No CO2 will be added)

2. What would growth be like if these plants were to be grown directly in gravel with no fertilisers added? Would the biowaste generated by fauna in the tank be sufficient to sustain long-term growth?

Would also be grateful if anyone could recommend any good dark-coloured substrate. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for HG.. my jap HG only start to creep after 1mth after planting.. during that 1month i did not add any fert..
    im adding seachem excel as a co2 source soon..
    so IMO, having Co2 and high light is recommanded for HG as my tank is 3-4wpg

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks Evolutionz for the advice. anyone has any helpful tips for E. tenellus in low-tech setups?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I put hairgrass in my low tech setup for 2 mths now. Never put base fert but use ADA soil at the corner of the tank where the other plants are. No dosing. Hairgrass is on sand where there is no ADA soil. Still have not creep yet but didn't die off. Still looks green and healty.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have E. tenellus in my low tech tank. Natural lighting about 4-5m away from my window. Using GEX japanese aquatic soil for plant and no fertilizer added. Pretty good except some turned yellowish (1-2%).
    Last edited by nys; 25th Jun 2007 at 11:53.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Oh, forgot about the E. tenellus part. I once put E. tenellus in my office using oceanfree soil. No base fert, no dosing, no CO2. Only light and a small filter (and AC provided by the company). Grows a lot (don't really know how fast though). Creeps below my moss plates and started growing all over the place. In the end the E. tenellus and moss were so tangled up (rojak) I dismantle the whole thing and gave it away.