Feedback Score
    Country
    Romania

Goldfish with boils under the scales

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have an orange goldfish that was treated for something that seemed to be sliminess of the skin. I used for treatment Sera Omnipur. It seemed to work, his condition improved and the red scales condition went away. There's a thread on this subject, where I discussed the problem with Michael Lai, he was very helpful. However now I have a different problem with the same fish, some kind of boils appeared under his scales on his belly. The boils seem to be full of pus, after the boils release the pus a bloody hole remains, that eventually closes but after a while a new boil will grow in its place.

Salt doesn't work nor does the Omnipur. The fish's belly looked very bad... all red scales, one hole and 3 boils growing and pushing the scales outwards. I asked a doctor (not vet) for recommended antibiotics and he said metronidazol would be something interesting to try. The metronidazol worked well but there is a big problem, the doctor recommended a horrifically high concentration for the drug. I later read that it should be used 250mg for 20 gallons.... well embrace yourselfs... what the doctor recommended was 250mg for 2 liters (that is less then half a gallon). This is what I used! Now... the boils went away, I did the treatment for 5 days.But my fish got sick because of the drug.
    My questions here are:

Do you think that 5 days of this killer dose cured the boil problem or will it return with a resistant strain of bacteria?
    Will my fish recover after the use of such high concetration of this drug?

P.S. This drug affects nerves, it seems, so my fish swims erratically.
    Last edited by zoli; 25th Jun 2007 at 22:45.