Images
    Country
    United_States

ALGAE - to be or not to be!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    As I am typing what I about to say, I turned to look at my tanks in the family room, both tanks with Cristal clear water, plants looking vibrant and fish swimming around carefree - I can't see any algae at all.

You all sound like experts when you talk about NO(?), KO(?), CO2, KH2PO4, many measuring, testing stuffs you talked about I am totally clueless, I felt like I had join a chemistry lab - everything must be exactly perfect or our tanks will go to hell.

Me, I am just a girl next door, who enjoys fish-keeping and aquascaping. My tanks lack of design element but both of them are fully planted. I keep small and common fish (guppies, neons, shrimps, etc). I never bother checking how many CO2 bubbles goes into my tanks, I never follow the instruction indicated on the fert. bottles and I never change water once a week as suggested (I have a open top tank, therefore, I normally add water about every three days, and change water about once a month).
    The main reason we all have a tank or two, is for us to enjoy its beauty and wonders in having this hobby, I am sure our tanks didn't make us into a chemist. It is good to learn some chemical abbreviation along the way, but it should not become a burden in keeping a aquarium.

I had my fair share of pain in the butt experience, I was a algae grower in the past (hahahaha...), because algae seemed to like my tank more than the plants do. I had all kinds of Algae issues thinking back. I experienced sad feeling when my lovely fish die; I have lazy SAEs fighting for fish flaks, this makes me so mad. A bunch of Amano shrimps in the tank eating my moss, fragile plants instead of eating algae. My unpleasant experience can go on and on, but I finally found the way to have happy tanks and a happy me!

I've learned to spend a few minutes each day in front of my tanks to enjoy this hobby I took on. While admiring the beautiful plants and smiling at the healthy fish, I also watch the changes in the tanks and let the tanks tell me what is going on inside :: Fish looks full= over feeding, too much waste, too much harmful elements in the water; Fish hiding in the corner= not feeling well or lost the fight; Plant's leave looks unnatural, stunt tips, slow growth, not red enough, not green enough = need fert; Foreground/crawling plants grow upwards= need more light; Stems look thin and grow tall= wrong lighting.... All these are the signs of my tanks telling me what they need, then I will provide necessary supplies or make correct changes attending their needs. Don't get me wrong, these know how came from spending hours in front of my tanks. I love this hobby and I love to give my time doing what I love, that's all!

I still have my UV lamp connected but I stop using it. Does anyone see a river, creek or lake hood-up with a UV lamp to stop algae from growing?

What I try to say is this - less is more, provide care only when its needed and let the tank establish its eco-system. You might tell me: "Its easier say than done." yes, you are right but if you do it right then your tank will look like a living painting, there no other satisfaction can top it, there's no amount of money can buy this joy.
    We all have different view on how we want our tank to look and what we like to keep in it, I find it almost impossible for someone to tell the other person what is wrong with his/her tank, or which chemistry is not working in so & so's tank, duh~~~~

Basic set up for a tropical freshwater tank(not goldfish nor cichlids):
    1. if you have fish then you need plants, more fish=more plants.(leave some room for fish to play)
    2. Always keep a good portion of fast growing plants to out compete with algae spores inside the tank (even the tank with UV lamp turned on 24/7 has some sort of algae, he/she just can't see the tiny floating cells).
    3. Provide good / proper lighting for your plants, this will prevent algae growth. Wrong lighting & poor lighting will encourage algae boom.
    4. Never over feed your fish (loving your fish is not by feeding them more food).
    5. Keep less amount of fish as recommended by your LFS. If you have small size fish then you can stock more in the tank. People said - one fish per gallon. I say - happy fish needs more room to play, every 2 gallon per one 2 1/2" size fish, this is MAXIMUM. If you like to keep lots of fish then you should have lots of tanks to keep them in perfect condition.

In case, if you already have algae problem in your tank:
    1. Change water, clean the tank bed / gravel, change water, change water, hand remove the algae as much as you could (do 75% water change every the other day till water is Cristal clean. WATCH THE WATER TEMPERATURE & PH CHANGE, DO NOT PUT YOUR FISH IN SHOCK.)
    2. stop fert. till algae is under control.
    3. cut back on the light hours. (I will do 4 hours per day, if there's plants in the tank)
    4. while trying to get rid of the algae, if you see your fish gasping for air, swim abnormal or suddenly hiding and darting around, this is a sign of something is attacking the fish. If the fish continue without sign of recover, it is time to give your tank, gravel and plants a complete wash (grrrrr.. DO NOT use bleach, never ever!). Save as much plant as you can or simply disregard algae infest plant and gravel.
    5. Time to consider chemical treatment, if none of the above works. I personally totally against using chemicals, it normally do more harm than good to any tank. Chemical can breaks down the tank bed (substrate), plants will have a difficult time to reestablish. Try to use aquarium friendly algaecide - medicate also provide light nutrient to your plant and harmless to live stock.

It doesn't take a lot to encourage algae growth - little light, excess fert, small amount of oxygen. The key is to have vigorous plants to out grow the algae in your tank, if your plant not vigorous and slow growing, you should double the quantity. Best way is to purchase plants in different growing pattern and growth rate. Try to loosely cover the entire water flow area with aquatic plants, especially the place has very slow water flow. Most of the plants are simple to propargate- by cutting, with no time you will have a tank full of plants.

Know your tank and to understand the cause of algae, or you will have to battling with it always. Provide a environment for your aquarium to speed up its eco-system then you will have a algae free tank - algae will be in every tank, at last you wont see it any more.

Below are my tanks in general description:
    * In my 75 gallon tank, I keep 30 live stock (fish, shrimps, oto and SAE all included) and lots of brilliant color plants - short ones, tall ones; foreground, background.
    I used to have many types of algae issues in this tank, but it has become a colorful heaven for the fish, my emperor neon even had babies three times.
    * My 20 gallon tank, I have 9 live stock (2 SAEs, 7 guppies). I set up this tank for about 5 weeks, totally algae free (well, there might be algae spores in the water, but nothing visible on the plants, the bed or glass). The water is crisp clean in this new tank. I have a very slow flow rate in this tanks because I don't like to see the plants all bend out of shape.

I give both tanks 9 hours lighting each day (2 x 65W-6700K for 30 gallon, 4 x 65W-6700K for 75 gallon), some random plant fert every now and then (I don't measure but always use 1/2 amount as it indicated, and I don't have a set schedule for fert).
    Both tanks are equipped with CO2 supply - bigger tank with CO2 injection, small one with one of the alcheapo thingies (about $20.00).

I spend most of my time looking at my tanks instead of writing a book about adding how much of this and give how much of that. To me this is what a hobby all about - doing it while enjoy it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ad9465,

Nice article..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Stephen, I am glad you like it.

Thanks.

ps: typo hook-up not hood-up > LOL

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi ad9465,

Thanks for sharing. I do agree with you whole heartedly on the point about enjoying the hobby and not to over complicate things. Although I would also say that a basic understanding of water chemistry is always good so that you can spot tell tale signs of an impending disaster.

Do share some pictures of your tank with us. I would love to see it.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi ad,
    Good commentary and not unlike what Amano says about not having to know too much of the science to have beautiful tanks.

[Any problems we need to solve nowadays just takes a search on the internet anyways.]
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Although Amano says that, he probably knows more about plant science than us. Know before you unknow.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi ad9465:

Nice article. Some beginners have been afraid to start planted tanks after reading a lot of complicated stuff. Your experience would serve as an inspiration.

I think most of us guys just enjoy this technical stuff ... just like we got to shoot with our high-end Canon DSLRs while our girl next door can get the same or better result with a simple point and shoot.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to AQ!
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Wow!! Nice write up. Like you, I have always try to keep things simple and enjoy the hobby more. Good to see that I'm not alone.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i totally agree with benny. at least must know something. so when things happen, you will know what is gg on and how to react.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I started a planted tank 3 years ago with two aims in mind - to enjoy the therapeutic effect of the visual treat and to learn. Well, have I learnt much! Biggest lesson the plants, fish and shrimps have taught me is not the esoteric knowledge in chemistry but about life and how to create a sustainable human eco-sytem. Like what Ad9465 said, how much time we take to enjoy the fruits of our hard labour each day (most likely night) when we return from work?

I sound philosophical and out-of-place here, I know (and apologise). Will stop here. Just can't resist as what she said strikes a cord in me.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines
    This is very true, but when you have stunted growth and algae all around, its natural to find all the possible answers before settling for the simplest one. Things usually get simple because we pass through the complicated phase already.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice write up, sprinkle with advice and summarize the learning journey well.

Yap, I enjoy this hobby, and evey bit of it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    nice article.. which reminds me.. is time to do a "complete" cleaning of my aquarium and start all over again.. it is heartaching.. but i guess i dun have much choice.. i m really sadden with my setup now...

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...t=34727&page=3

hopefully this send out messages to newbies.. dun give up.. it takes practise and time to get a perfectly nice aquarium..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ?? "Me, I am just a girl next door, who enjoys fish-keeping and aquascaping"... so really girl ah "

Nice article and welcome to AQ.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well-said article!

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Interesting article
    Jonathan ~Sith code~
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion
    Through passion I gain strength,
    Through strength, I gain power,
    Through power, I gain victory
    Through victory my chains are broken

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi ad9465 ,

When I reread your article again, after experimenting with low tech method, you seem to adopt a 'middle ground' approach between low tech and high tech (usually supplement with EI dosing).

What is your CO2 bubble rate?

It seems to me that you are adopting a top up water as and when, a constant CO2 supply, medium high light, sparsely fert dosing and water change monthly routine. And it may be the way to go - the middle ground
    ~Loke

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi there! You have spoken from the heart of an aquarist, look at the eco-system and you know what is lack for them, feed them when something is lacking, the constant amount of fert you added may not be the end result you getting at the end, you may followed the formula, but each setup tank may not have the same stuff you put in it.

For me i've just experienced green water after heavy pruning my plants and due to the same amount of ferts i've added in. Well no pain no again, this is the interesting cycle we have to go through. It makes us more addicted to it. When you have the passion you have the drive. Success is within your reach.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The amount of time you have spent 'trying out' and experimenting, without having the appropriate knowledge to start-out, would simply mean that you have along the way ill-treated some plants and fish along the way. It is like saying that a parent should not read up, and know as much as possible on babycare and infant knowledge before the baby is born. Whilst fish and plants may not be all that expensive, it is ultimately still a living thing that requires tender loving care, and appropriate treatment.
    I understand your point of view in that a hobby should have the end result of enjoyment. But hear it that many fellow friends in this community site are only kind enough to share their knowledge of what had worked, and works for them. Some may prefer to maintain their tanks like you (myself including). But for some who do not know what happened to their tank and is looking for solutions, appropriate answers pinpointing the root of the problem, such as increasing potassium dosage or increasing the CO2 bubble count is definately helpful.
    I wonder how you will feel the next time you hear of a person falling seriously sick, and the consulting doctor says 'take panadol'.
    Regards.
    Next project: Converting my 3ft freshwater fish planted tank into a shrimp tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well said... ad

Frankly, like you I believed most of us would like to trial and error. Problem is we also want to know where the error is before it even started. That is why we tend to do this and that. to keep error to the min.
    VIPER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast