Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing Hemianthus callitrichoides (HC)

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Growing Hemianthus callitrichoides (HC)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    It all depends on the person. For me i can grow both. But if your scape is up and running then submmersed would be the only choice and dont forget you need time for new setup to cycle through. For me i cut short the time and do all in submerge. As for sump, then it would be advice to inject your CO2 near to the pump where it inject into the tank, that way the pump rotor blade will chop the CO2 to more even more finer CO2.

Quote Originally Posted by dkk08 View Post
    more poison

anyone has any data on the speed of growth for emersed and submersed HC?

this question might seem out of topic but I really don't know where to ask... if I'm using a sump system for my tanks and I want to inject CO2, should the CO2 be inject into the sump or straight into the tank itself?

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

FuzzieFishes: if i'm not wrong, HC growing tall means not enough light intensity. what is your setup like?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

There are times some HC would grow tall, but they dont look like HC but rather they look like HM, i believe this is a mix of HC with HM when they produce locally. But i ever saw a thread at another forum that a guy grew tall HC with very low light and without much caring and the temperature was way very cold, initially was short HC. Just remove those that grow tall will do.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzieFishes View Post

Am i doing it correctly?
    Reveru, this is my set up.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    It all depends on the person. For me i can grow both. But if your scape is up and running then submmersed would be the only choice and dont forget you need time for new setup to cycle through. For me i cut short the time and do all in submerge. As for sump, then it would be advice to inject your CO2 near to the pump where it inject into the tank, that way the pump rotor blade will chop the CO2 to more even more finer CO2.
    very insightful! Thanks Adrian!
    “Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”
    "If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."
    - Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!
    DeZ aka Desmond

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    There are times some HC would grow tall, but they dont look like HC but rather they look like HM, i believe this is a mix of HC with HM when they produce locally. But i ever saw a thread at another forum that a guy grew tall HC with very low light and without much caring and the temperature was way very cold, initially was short HC. Just remove those that grow tall will do.
    i noticed this phenomenon in my tank. i have high light in my tank and approximately 5% of the HC in my tank started to sprout leaves that are EXACTLY like HM (note that i actually HAVE HM planted in my tank so i can directly compare them). these weird sprouts actually grow tall even though there is high light initially, but after approx 2 weeks, they started to "fall" down themselves and starting sprouting roots and HC shoots. kinda weird with the mix of HC and HM leaves. i think that it is not a mix of HC and HM as i can trace the weird sprouts to connect to HC patch. and the strange thing is that the same stems having the weird sprouts can also sprout the normal HC leaves!

anyone have similar experience?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

yes you can grow it emerse, Actually it is emerse when you bought from LFS. The emerse leaf is round and shorter.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Those emmersed HC that we buy from LFS i.e. C328, usually grow on sponge and not pots. We can just cut into like 1cm x 1cm pieces and plant directly into the soil right? No need to pull or trim the sponge or anything. The Tropica video advice to leave 1cm of rock wool as anchor and those from LFS are already 1cm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

there is major different between Tropica plants and the plants that sell locally. Tropica plant is 100% free of soil or other contaminant like snail etc. It is their regulation. On the other hand the plant that sell at LFS is far from clean. If you plug it out, you will see many thing, sand, small white tinggy which I thing it is a fert, snail, etc.

Yes the Tropica method can work but then you will risk contaminate your tank. I prefered to little bit work in the begining rather than trying to solve problem due to contamination.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hope i'm not too late for this thread! I am growing HC in my 4ft tank now(start yesterday) with the dry start method. Can anyone clarify on after say 2months when they are fully grown, we can start to flood them with water and provide lots of co2 like 5bps or so. How long do we have to maintain this high co2 for? As long as we want to keep growing the HC or we can actually lower the co2 intially? Also the T5 lights that i got was 4x54w 4ft, do you all think its too bright? Also 8 hrs?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

well, you got to resist the temptation to flood your tank first, haha.
    did you covered the top of the tank with cling flim? ( to keep moisture inside )
    high co2 bps after flooding will help the emerse HC transit to submerge HC.
    your lighting is great base on watt per gallon.
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Alan! Yes i did cling wrap fully leaving the lights outside. But I'm still scratching my head! After the transition period which i think is around maybe 5 days(guessing), can we lower the co2 bps? And by how much?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

depends on how you deploy your army of CO2, inline diffuser/ ceramic disk. oh, don't forget to get yourself the CO2 indicator. like that you will know how/what to do.
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Alright i will! So those indicator that changes color really works? I will get them! I have another 4 ft tank but i don't know what i want to plant as the foreground, any suggestion? I want it to be more Iwagumi type but since i have the HC on this current one i am growing already and it's with large driftwood on both left and right side. What would be nice for a long run?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

brother bigthing,
    i suggest start another thread for your tank, can't wait to see your huge project. as well can poison others.
    - Alan Phang -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

But the tank i got is an old tank...very ugly...like seafood store one...and got ugly water stains mark which i yet to remove... so embarassing to post! Hahaha...plus so many hobbyist here had the same thread already, but i taken pictures so if i succeed, i MIGHT post! Thanks for bringing up!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Intending to grow HC in a 1 foot cube. Can anyone advise on the ideal watts of light required?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I started a thread because getting some problems with the DSM project. Maybe can help me up Please!
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...291#post536291

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Philippines

How can I prevent the HC at the bottom from rotting? I have successfully carpeted it in my 15gal tank, but noticed that the bottom layers die. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all, I have tried HC but was not successfully. but I really like to try again after seeing so many nice scapes and bros grow them successfully. Does anyone have some spare HC for me? Please pm me if you can help... I have some ludwigia arcuata, rotala sp green etc to exchange. Thanks...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast