Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing Hemianthus callitrichoides (HC)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Growing Hemianthus callitrichoides (HC)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Digging up an old thread here. Just wondering, has anyone been successful in growing the emersed HC submerged immediately without dry start method? If so, what are the water conditoins?

Currently I have CO2 in my tank, and temperature of water is around 28 degrees. The soild I'm using is the one sold by CRS Haven for shrimps.

Thus far, my HCs have been pearling, but probably only 1 pearl every one square cm of HC per day. Is that any measure for success? They have been in the tank for 5 days so far. So i'm hopeful.

Anyone out there that has tried, and succeded? How long does it take for the HC to start spreading?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

you need a soil with high fert content, like ada amazonia, high light and co2 levels. If your HC is emersed, bubbling is normal at the beginning, but does not mean its doing well. Give it at least 2 weeks, you will know if it will succeed in your tank. Use drop checker to adjust the co2 levels. If requirements not met, they simply melt and its unsightly and hard to clear. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by thengz View Post
    Digging up an old thread here. Just wondering, has anyone been successful in growing the emersed HC submerged immediately without dry start method? If so, what are the water conditoins?
    Sure, many times . You need fertile soil and plenty of CO2. Try not to have any fauna like shrimps or anything that can uproot it, at least during first or two months.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Kiatster View Post
    you need a soil with high fert content, like ada amazonia, high light and co2 levels. If your HC is emersed, bubbling is normal at the beginning, but does not mean its doing well. Give it at least 2 weeks, you will know if it will succeed in your tank. Use drop checker to adjust the co2 levels. If requirements not met, they simply melt and its unsightly and hard to clear. Good luck.
    Ai Carumba! That's going to be a problem, cause I won't be around to monitor the next 2 weeks. My mum would be helping me with the CO2, light, etc, during this period of time, but she probably can't make the decision on whether to clear the plants or not.

Looks like I might need to uproot them before I go on holiday. I'll monitor it for the next few days, if I don't see any progress in terms of spreading or if the plants start growing upwards, I'll probably get rid of them and start again on another tank when I'm back. This tank they are in are 2 weeks or so into their cycling process.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Sure, many times . You need fertile soil and plenty of CO2. Try not to have any fauna like shrimps or anything that can uproot it, at least during first or two months.
    Yep, didn't put in any shrimps or other fauna yet. Will probably do that in another 3 weeks when I'm back from my hols.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Mine is bubbling even when i am using 1.5 BPS...
    plus end of photo period got some larger bubbles stick on the leaves...

Actually thought never bubble thinking it is from my boyu diffuser, until i took a closer look at the intake end.

Waiting for my LED strips for DIY moonlight.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Mine is bubbling even when i am using 1.5 BPS...
    plus end of photo period got some larger bubbles stick on the leaves...

Actually thought never bubble thinking it is from my boyu diffuser, until i took a closer look at the intake end.

Waiting for my LED strips for DIY moonlight.
    Oooh... Nice, you also threw your emersed HCs in straight away? Actually my main concern now is if it can survive through the next 3 weeks. If it can, I would just let it grow while I go on holiday. If the likelihood is that it would die, I'll take them out before I go on my holiday so that it won't disrupt the cycling of my tank.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by thengz View Post
    Oooh... Nice, you also threw your emersed HCs in straight away? Actually my main concern now is if it can survive through the next 3 weeks. If it can, I would just let it grow while I go on holiday. If the likelihood is that it would die, I'll take them out before I go on my holiday so that it won't disrupt the cycling of my tank.
    I've had some growth in dsm, but just added water since I'm growing hc emersed with my potted plants outside.

If your conditions are good ( I mean with chiller/fan + co2) coupled with the cool weather. Why not give it a go?

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Felix, what i meant was that if the plant is grown dry before putting it into the tank, it will still bubble but may not be because its doing well. I tried that before and after awhile it stopped bubbling and then melted. But once it settles down then if 1.5bps is sufficient the it will bubble too. It really depends on your plant load too. Thus i recommended co2 indicator for better gauge rather than just bps.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Felix, what i meant was that if the plant is grown dry before putting it into the tank, it will still bubble but may not be because its doing well. I tried that before and after awhile it stopped bubbling and then melted. But once it settles down then if 1.5bps is sufficient the it will bubble too. It really depends on your plant load too. Thus i recommended co2 indicator for better gauge rather than just bps.
    now i get what you mean...
    my Co2 is quite saturated with my indicator showing yellow(still a slight tint of green) all the time. Never had HC before so i am observing closely and try to learn more.

I am after a 60% plus HC lawn since i am starting, learning a step at a time before i start doing more rockscapes.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Going to start HC ahead before i scape my tank since it takes like 1-2 months.
    going to grow in another harvester tank and move them into new tank onces mature

1. Getting my new amazonia soil -> do i need to add more nutrients? like power sand for base?
    2. Using dry start method -> so get submerged or emmersed HC ? confused
    3. Going to use excel to supplement CO2 during wet soil, no budget for CO2 tank.. go low tec
    4. light interval 12 hrs > 4-1-4-1-4
    9am - 1am , 1 hr break
    2pm - 6pm, 1 hr break,
    7pm - 11pm
    trying to give half day of light 12 hrs
    5. temp with fan 27 deg

Did i miss any steps?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    I've had some growth in dsm, but just added water since I'm growing hc emersed with my potted plants outside.

If your conditions are good ( I mean with chiller/fan + co2) coupled with the cool weather. Why not give it a go?
    Darn, the prognosis is no good. I'm starting to see yellowing leaves and dark/dull green leaves. I'm guessing I might have to pull them out before I go for my holiday.

And ya, Kiatster is right, I have pearling first two or 3 days. But last night, no pearling. Looks like it's going down the gutter, will probably increase the CO2 for the next 3 days, if it still doesn't work, I'll take it out, and try again when I return for my hols. Probably try doing a DSM method on a small tank or something.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by marimo View Post
    Going to start HC ahead before i scape my tank since it takes like 1-2 months.
    going to grow in another harvester tank and move them into new tank onces mature

1. Getting my new amazonia soil -> do i need to add more nutrients? like power sand for base?
    2. Using dry start method -> so get submerged or emmersed HC ? confused
    3. Going to use excel to supplement CO2 during wet soil, no budget for CO2 tank.. go low tec
    4. light interval 12 hrs > 4-1-4-1-4
    9am - 1am , 1 hr break
    2pm - 6pm, 1 hr break,
    7pm - 11pm
    trying to give half day of light 12 hrs
    5. temp with fan 27 deg

Did i miss any steps?
    Holy cow marimo! I just saw the pictures of your nano tank in the gallery. Very inspired by it. Will probably want to try something like that in the future.

What plants/soil/rocks did you use? And what's the method?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You trying to max out growth rate during DSM? (i would prefer 4-1.5-4-1.5-4)

Is this the harvest tank that is only DSM? DSM is emmersed conditions.
    If growing a harvester then transferring (DSM or directly submersed), you understand the work involved correct?

i've never used powersand so far, if your budget allows it would reap benefits.

this is my 50cents
    Last edited by felix_fx2; 13th Dec 2011 at 14:55. Reason: add questions

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Holy cow marimo! I just saw the pictures of your nano tank in the gallery. Very inspired by it. Will probably want to try something like that in the future.

What plants/soil/rocks did you use? And what's the method?
    err which nano ?

You trying to max out growth rate during DSM?
    hah ya , need them to creep during drystart
    then most likely going to transfer them into tank and submerge them with daily excel
    not sure if they will melt

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

err which nano ?
    More like mini. The one pictured with a 50 cents coin. Looks like its only 15cm or so in diameter.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oic there is my thread.
    its actually much smaller .. the terrian about 6-7 cm wide
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...oss-amp-lichen

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hah ya , need them to creep during drystart
    then most likely going to transfer them into tank and submerge them with daily excel
    not sure if they will melt
    I did same before. After I changed all my t5 tubes. Growth seen is very slow.

Do try it out & share details.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

yes will try .. getting my soil soon
    any scoop of HC to spare? should get emmerse form? like from C328?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just checking if my hc are not dying but they are not crawling also, what can I do ? It's been in the tank for like 1 mths plus. But it's not covering anything at all? Still looks the same when I planted it.
    Ada Amazonia soil
    Excel daily
    Potassium every other day

The rest of my plants are doing quite. Most have taken root and grown mad high but my hc have not move a single bit . Want to carpet my fore ground with it hopefully

Low tech tank FTW!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes will try .. getting my soil soon
    any scoop of HC to spare? should get emmerse form? like from C328?
    C328 good. Much thicker growth for emersed then I can grow lol.

Semi-Active currently

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast